• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Reentry permit in Covid times

1. NOA - Notice of Action
2. Yes
HI Smom,
Thank you very much for your continued help,
1-How can I follow up and track our cases with the USCIS?
2- can I do any thing at this stage? Or to wait for the NOA to be issued ?
3-which web site I have to go through?
4-I have submitted each application of my family members to USCIS through separate mail, any thing can I do to inform them to schedule our appointments (family) at the same day?
Thank you

HI Smom,
Thank you very much for your continued help,
1-How can I follow up and track our cases with the USCIS?
2- can I do any thing at this stage? Or to wait for the NOA to be issued ?
3-which web site I have to go through?
4-I have submitted each application of my family members to USCIS through separate mail, any thing can I do to inform them to schedule our appointments (family) at the same day?
Thank you
1. You need to wait for the NOA
2. You need to wait for the NOA
3. You need to wait for the NOA
4. You need to wait for the NOA

1. You need to wait for the NOA
2. You need to wait for the NOA
3. You need to wait for the NOA
4. You need to wait for the NOA
Thank you,
I heared about some recent changes in the biometric, does that include the biometrics of the reentry permit (I-131), Or it is still required to be carried out for the I-131.

Thank you,
I heared about some recent changes in the biometric, does that include the biometrics of the reentry permit (I-131), Or it is still required to be carried out for the I-131.
How am I supposed to know if the “changes in biometric you heard about” pertains to the I-131 or not when you’ve not stated precisely what these changes you heard about are?

How am I supposed to know if the “changes in biometric you heard about” pertains to the I-131 or not when you’ve not stated precisely what these changes you heard about are?
HI Smom,
I sorry, I meant it might be waived for some type of applications, I am wondering if that is applicable also to the reentry permit (I-131)application.
Thank you

Hi everyone

I’m writing you to ask you a question, but first let me present to you my situation:

I’m a US permanent resident looking to file for a re-entry permit (Form I-131).

One of the conditions is to physically be in the United States at the time the application is filed.

My question is: When is my application considered filed?

Is it when they receive it at the lockbox, or when they issue me a notice of action (receipt notice).

Can I send the form I-131, wait that it’s received at the lockbox (by checking and then leave the US without waiting for the Notice of Action? (and of course comeback for the biometrics).

I’m in a very urgent situation and every answer will be highly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I’m writing you to ask you a question, but first let me present to you my situation:

I’m a US permanent resident looking to file for a re-entry permit (Form I-131).

One of the conditions is to physically be in the United States at the time the application is filed.

My question is: When is my application considered filed?

Is it when they receive it at the lockbox, or when they issue me a notice of action (receipt notice).

Can I send the form I-131, wait that it’s received at the lockbox (by checking and then leave the US without waiting for the Notice of Action? (and of course comeback for the biometrics).

I’m in a very urgent situation and every answer will be highly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.
Application is considered filed on the date delivered to the lockbox. So yes, you can depart from the US once delivered to the lockbox without waiting for the NOA. However, should the lockbox, reject the application for some reason after you’ve already left the US, the only way to re-file will require your return to the US. So it is advisable to at least wait for the NOA before leaving.

Hi,

No I still didn't receive my biotmetrics appointment. I applied in October 2020 and received a letter of notice of receipt and fees acceptance in Nov 2020. and nothing since. Currently, looking at the USCIS page processing times, you will see that for I-131 (re-entry permits) managed at the Nebraska center it's between 8-11 months ... there is a huge backlog.

Mine although was mailed to Texas (I live in Maryland so it should be managed by Texas service center) was sent to Nebraska and I heard the same from 2 other people where Nebraska service center is working on their applications.

FYI, I am also planning a trip to the US to keep to keep my resident status this summer. but I am expecting some questionning. I didn't get any questions last year (I got my green card in Nov 2019). Maybe there will be more clement because of Covid, who knows.
HI Kassem,
Thank you very much for your Continued help,
I applied for the reentry permit last month Currently, Iam waiting for the NOA,
My questions please
1-How long will it take to be issued?
2- will send it to the mailing adress I put it in the application?
3-after receiving the NOA by mail, what is the next step, which Website I have to follow to get an update about our case and the payment process.
4-have you received your biometric appointment?
Thank you

HI Kassem,
Thank you very much for your Continued help,
I applied for the reentry permit last month Currently, Iam waiting for the NOA,
My questions please
1-How long will it take to be issued?
2- will send it to the mailing adress I put it in the application?
3-after receiving the NOA by mail, what is the next step, which Website I have to follow to get an update about our case and the payment process.
4-have you received your biometric appointment?
Thank you
1. FYI many NOAs are taking around a month or slightly longer these days
2. Yes
3. https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do is the case status check site - you will enter the receipt number on the NOA. I am a little confused though about what you mean by update about the payment process - you did submit the fee with the application, correct? There won’t be any update on fees paid, just on bio, interview and decision/issuance of permit.

Application is considered filed on the date delivered to the lockbox. So yes, you can depart from the US once delivered to the lockbox without waiting for the NOA. However, should the lockbox, reject the application for some reason after you’ve already left the US, the only way to re-file will require your return to the US. So it is advisable to at least wait for the NOA before leaving.
Hi mom, I applied for the re-entry permit while I was in the US last March, I mailed it to the lockbox but left a day before it was received (I had no choice because at that time there were only limited repatriation flights to my country and booking this flight was hell). Do you think my application will be denied? I'd hate to wait for almost a year for a denial. I'm flying to the US again this August, do you think I should just cancel this application and start a new one? (660$ gone to trash, yay)
I genuinely thought that by "filing while in the US" they meant mailing the packet, they never mentioned it has to be accepted by the USCIS...

Last edited:
Hi mom, I applied for the re-entry permit while I was in the US last March, I mailed it to the lockbox but left a day before it was received (I had no choice because at that time there were only limited repatriation flights to my country and booking this flight was hell). Do you think my application will be rejected? I'd hate to wait for almost a year for a denial. I'm flying to the US again this August, do you think I should just cancel this application and start a new one? (660$ gone to trash, yay)
I genuinely thought that by "filing while in the US" they meant mailing the packet, they never mentioned it has to be accepted by the USCIS...
Have you received your NOA since you filed? If you have, then my above post does not apply to you. I don’t believe the application could be denied because you left before it was delivered.

Have you received your NOA since you filed? If you have, then my above post does not apply to you. I don’t believe the application could be denied because you left before it was delivered.
I have, about 5 weeks later. The date of receipt in the NOA is March 12th though, and I left March 11th. You said "Application is considered filed on the date delivered to the lockbox. So yes, you can depart from the US once delivered to the lockbox" - Why doesn't it apply to me?

Last edited:
Also, attached is a post I found on some other forum, and that's bad.
Then again, I also looked at formal appeals that USCIS shares where people appealed a denial of re-entry permits because of being outside of the US when applying, and all of them seemed to be denied because they actually mailed the packet from abroad.
The law is quoted there:

"The regulation at 8 C.F.R. 223.2 states in pertinent part: (b) Eligibility.

(1) Reentry permit. Except as otherwise provided in this section, an application may be approved if filed by a person who is in the United States at the time of application and is a lawful permanent resident or conditional permanent resident."

So the term "time of application" is very vague and could mean anything. Because it's not a frontal application, they can choose either the time of mailing or the time of receipt.

I wouldn't stress about it so much if it wasn't for the ginormous backlog and the fact you have to wait 10 months for a decision (which involves another trip to the US for biometrics). That would put my residency at risk if denied.

Also, an appeal costs more than another application. And its chances are slim.

Attachments

• צילום מסך 2021-06-20 ב-2.58.12.png
    צילום מסך 2021-06-20 ב-2.58.12.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 8
I have, about 5 weeks later. The date of receipt in the NOA is March 12th though, and I left March 11th. You said "Application is considered filed on the date delivered to the lockbox. So yes, you can depart from the US once delivered to the lockbox" - Why doesn't it apply to me?
I think you need to read my post which you’ve quoted within the context of which that response was provided, and not just the single sentence you’ve quoted for the 2nd time.

Also, attached is a post I found on some other forum, and that's bad.
Then again, I also looked at formal appeals that USCIS shares where people appealed a denial of re-entry permits because of being outside of the US when applying, and all of them seemed to be denied because they actually mailed the packet from abroad.
The law is quoted there:

"The regulation at 8 C.F.R. 223.2 states in pertinent part: (b) Eligibility.

(1) Reentry permit. Except as otherwise provided in this section, an application may be approved if filed by a person who is in the United States at the time of application and is a lawful permanent resident or conditional permanent resident."

So the term "time of application" is very vague and could mean anything. Because it's not a frontal application, they can choose either the time of mailing or the time of receipt.

I wouldn't stress about it so much if it wasn't for the ginormous backlog and the fact you have to wait 10 months for a decision (which involves another trip to the US for biometrics). That would put my residency at risk if denied.

Also, an appeal costs more than another application. And its chances are slim.
You clearly stated the denied reentry permit application you’ve read about were posted from abroad. Which is definitely not your situation. But go ahead and file again, if that puts your mind more at peace than what you’ve been told and if that is what you feel like doing.

You clearly stated the denied reentry permit application you’ve read about were posted from abroad. Which is definitely not your situation. But go ahead and file again, if that puts your mind more at peace than what you’ve been told and if that is what you feel like doing.
Please read the attached post. It happened to a girl last July.