• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Reentry permit in Covid times

Sure you're welcome.

I stayed for 5 days in NY and I had a return (2 way) ticket. It was not an issue and the officer didn't say anything about that.

Also note that this is my first absence since I became a permanent resident (last year), so I guess they understand that I still need some time to permanently move to the US, specially in these times during the pandemic.

They were calling me by phone. If you go to NY, it is mandatory to fill a travel form 24 hours before your travel where you provide your contact details. I have given them my American phone number so they called me there. They also called me on the same number when I left the US.
Hi Kassem, thanks for sharing this info, I am planning on getting a re-entry permit too upon arrival (that is, if I even get to enter the US...), I was wondering if you have to stay in the country long enough to recieve the SMS/email that they recieved your application. Did you get it while you were still in the US?

Hi Kassem, thanks for sharing this info, I am planning on getting a re-entry permit too upon arrival (that is, if I even get to enter the US...), I was wondering if you have to stay in the country long enough to recieve the SMS/email that they recieved your application. Did you get it while you were still in the US?

Hi there,

I don't think the SMS/Email are sent to confirm they received your application, but they are sent as notification of approval of your application.

I don't really know if they send something when they received your application, I'm not sure, others can confirm. What I did, is send them with USPS Priority which allows you to track your application and confirm it's delivered.

It's better to stay in the country until they approve the request, but I didn't do that. I don't know how long that takes, and I couldn't stay longer.

I hope you manage to enter the US and apply for the permit!

Hi there,

I don't think the SMS/Email are sent to confirm they received your application, but they are sent as notification of approval of your application.

I don't really know if they send something when they received your application, I'm not sure, others can confirm. What I did, is send them with USPS Priority which allows you to track your application and confirm it's delivered.

It's better to stay in the country until they approve the request, but I didn't do that. I don't know how long that takes, and I couldn't stay longer.

I hope you manage to enter the US and apply for the permit!
Thank you!
I saw in their page this, under special instructions: "To receive an e-Notification when we have received your Form I-131, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the front of your application. "
I guess you have to fill that out in order to recieve this confirmation... Given the current immigration status with this administration, I kinda wanna have an official proof from them that they've received it so they can't say later they never got it...

Another question if I may, did you have a US credit card to pay the fee with? Because I don't have one and I'm planning on paying it using a USPS money order, and I'm getting conflicting information whether this is ok or not...

Thank you!
I saw in their page this, under special instructions: "To receive an e-Notification when we have received your Form I-131, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the front of your application. "
I guess you have to fill that out in order to recieve this confirmation... Given the current immigration status with this administration, I kinda wanna have an official proof from them that they've received it so they can't say later they never got it...

Another question if I may, did you have a US credit card to pay the fee with? Because I don't have one and I'm planning on paying it using a USPS money order, and I'm getting conflicting information whether this is ok or not...

You're welcome!

Yeah it says 'Petition acceptance', so I guess they are referring to when the application is accepted, I guess. I did fill that document and added it to my application, but I have not received any SMS/Email yet.

Since I don't have an American credit card, I paid with a USPS money order. Yes it's totally possible. For a European, this was a new thing, as we don't have money orders here, so I was bit worried, but it turned out to be very easy. You go to USPS, pay cash (they don't accept credit cards) and they give you the money order with the requested amount (660$ in my case). As suggested in the guidelines, you can write on the money order a brief description of the purpose of your payment (Original submission, travel document, I-131 + Biometric services fees.) And I added it to my documents, and sent everything few minutes later from the USPS post office using express delivery.

I hope that helps

You're welcome!

Yeah it says 'Petition acceptance', so I guess they are referring to when the application is accepted, I guess. I did fill that document and added it to my application, but I have not received any SMS/Email yet.

Since I don't have an American credit card, I paid with a USPS money order. Yes it's totally possible. For a European, this was a new thing, as we don't have money orders here, so I was bit worried, but it turned out to be very easy. You go to USPS, pay cash (they don't accept credit cards) and they give you the money order with the requested amount (660$ in my case). As suggested in the guidelines, you can write on the money order a brief description of the purpose of your payment (Original submission, travel document, I-131 + Biometric services fees.) And I added it to my documents, and sent everything few minutes later from the USPS post office using express delivery.

I hope that helps
Helps a lot, thank you!

And good luck to all of us tonight, may the next 4 years be different...

Hi kassem,
Looking for your directions to fill the reentry form
1-Are we required to enclose any supporting documents to validate the reason of requesting the reentry permit?
2-which type of reasons are normally acceptable.?
3-Can we fill the form and print it while we are outside the US and make it ready to be submitted upon the arrival.?
4-I didn't receive the SSN yet, is it necessary to be added in the reentry form? (I will visit the SS office to apply upon arrival)
4-where can i find the editable form?
5 - let us say that I will apply and leave immediately, how can I know when the will call us for the biometric?

Thank you very much

Hi kassem,
Looking for your directions to fill the reentry form
1-Are we required to enclose any supporting documents to validate the reason of requesting the reentry permit?
2-which type of reasons are normally acceptable.?
3-Can we fill the form and print it while we are outside the US and make it ready to be submitted upon the arrival.?
4-I didn't receive the SSN yet, is it necessary to be added in the reentry form? (I will visit the SS office to apply upon arrival)
4-where can i find the editable form?
5 - let us say that I will apply and leave immediately, how can I know when the will call us for the biometric?

Thank you very much

Hello,

Here are my answers :)

1- No, that's not really necessary.
2- Any reason. I just put: For professional reasons.
3- Yeah that's what I did. I printed it and filled it in advance, then it's ready.
4- I can't answer that one, I had my SSN since last year so I added it. I don't know if it's needed to have the permit approved. Please check.
4- The form is here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-131. Most of the parts can be filled electronically, except for 1 or 2 where it didn't work so I had to write it manually.
5 - They will send you a letter by the post with the appointment date (to the address you provided in the application, part 1). Usually, they send the letter 4 to 6 weeks before the actual appointment.

Hope that helps!
Kassem

The re-entry permit can be sent to the US embassy (if the applicant lists the embassy address) on the I-131.
I know, I was referring to the invitation for biometrics, they will only send it inside the US.
(Point 5 of the OP)

Hi kassem,
Almost Like your situation, I need you help again for the followings please ,
1_ How can I obtain USA phone number that can work internationally meanly for receiving calls ,which company can provide this services, and what is the cheapest plan we can select,and how we can pay the monthly fees when we are outside the USA.
2_After printing the reentry form to which address we have to send it.
3_Do you manage to get any idea when the will send you the biometric appointment letter.
4_is it fine to leave the usa after submitting the application or it is risky.
Thank you

Hi Sm1smom,
1_Any supporting documents are required to be enclosed with the reentry permits application.
2_ within the current pandemic, it is impossible to obtain the biometric appointment within 6 weeks, as such how can We deal with the requested question in regards of the the departure date , noting that we might leave within few days from the submitting the application
3_ is it safe to leave the USA and come back again once the biometric date is confirmed.
4_which is better to request sending the reentry permit to USA address or outside the USA.
Thank you

is the Reentry application required to be filled online and after that to be printed and submitted hard copy through the normal post office.
Thank you

Hi kassem,
Almost Like your situation, I need you help again for the followings please ,
1_ How can I obtain USA phone number that can work internationally meanly for receiving calls ,which company can provide this services, and what is the cheapest plan we can select,and how we can pay the monthly fees when we are outside the USA.
2_After printing the reentry form to which address we have to send it.
3_Do you manage to get any idea when the will send you the biometric appointment letter.
4_is it fine to leave the usa after submitting the application or it is risky.
Thank you

Hi Shamsham,

1- I use "OpenPhone", it's a service you pay for online through an app. You can an American number, unlimited calls to the US + unlimited messaging. Works only when you're connected to the internet. It's not exactly cheap, but works well for me.
2- Depends where you live in the US. All information here: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-guidance
3- No idea, I applied one month ago and still did not get the notice for the appointment. I think the delays are very lengthy these days because of the Covid backlog.
4- The guidelines state that you should stay in the US until you submit your biometrics. But many people leave for different reasons specially if the delays are too long until the biometrics appointment. So far, USCIS seems to be tolerating it. Your call.

Hope that helps,
K

Hi Shamsham,

1- I use "OpenPhone", it's a service you pay for online through an app. You can an American number, unlimited calls to the US + unlimited messaging. Works only when you're connected to the internet. It's not exactly cheap, but works well for me.
2- Depends where you live in the US. All information here: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-guidance
3- No idea, I applied one month ago and still did not get the notice for the appointment. I think the delays are very lengthy these days because of the Covid backlog.
4- The guidelines state that you should stay in the US until you submit your biometrics. But many people leave for different reasons specially if the delays are too long until the biometrics appointment. So far, USCIS seems to be tolerating it. Your call.

Hope that helps,
K
Thank you kassem for your continued help and for your timing,
How much we should pay for each application and how we should pay that noting that I don't have credit card to pay on line,
Is it required also to pay the biometric fees now, if yes, should we combined that with the application payment or two separate payment
Thanks

Hi Shamsham,

Hope that helps,
K
What do you mean by where you live, I am still outside, do you mean I have to select the state where I want to make the biometric?
Thanks

Hi Sm1smom,
1_Any supporting documents are required to be enclosed with the reentry permits application.
2_ within the current pandemic, it is impossible to obtain the biometric appointment within 6 weeks, as such how can We deal with the requested question in regards of the the departure date , noting that we might leave within few days from the submitting the application
3_ is it safe to leave the USA and come back again once the biometric date is confirmed.
4_which is better to request sending the reentry permit to USA address or outside the USA.
Thank you

1. You’re asking a lot of questions that suggests to me you’ve not read instructions or gone through the form itself. So I believe the best response I can give you is for you to go through the official page, you’ll find the answer to most of your questions there.
2. Highly unlikely.
3. Probably (it depends on your definition of “safe”).
4. It depends on your plan and which option works best for you.