• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Reentry permit in Covid times

Kassem

Hi all,

I am an GC holder (DV2019) since Nov2019. I am planning to apply for a reentry permit on my next trip to the US end of this month.

1- does anyone have information about the current processing times of the permit during Covid times ? Time to get biometrics notice ? Time to actual appointment ? I would like to estimate my biometrics appointment date cause i will leave the US after filing and come back for biometrics.

2- can i leave all the documents with a friend in the US and she mails them to USCIS later for me ?

Thank you
Kasem

Hi all,

I am an GC holder (DV2019) since Nov2019. I am planning to apply for a reentry permit on my next trip to the US end of this month.

1- does anyone have information about the current processing times of the permit during Covid times ? Time to get biometrics notice ? Time to actual appointment ? I would like to estimate my biometrics appointment date cause i will leave the US after filing and come back for biometrics.

2- can i leave all the documents with a friend in the US and she mails them to USCIS later for me ?

Thank you
Kasem

“can i leave all the documents with a friend in the US and she mails them to USCIS later for me ?” = Immigration fraud!

I recently read someone finally got a bio appointment after applying in April. I think the backlog is huge and it seems maybe re-entry permits are not priorities, because people applying n400 etc later have been getting bios.

Hi kassem,
I read your posts,I am almost in the same situation,
Did you apply for the reentry permit?
Did you come to know how many months will take for it to be processed?
Wishing you the best.

Hi kassem,
I read your posts,I am almost in the same situation,
Did you apply for the reentry permit?
Did you come to know how many months will take for it to be processed?
Wishing you the best.

Hi Shamsham,

Yes I applied for the entry permit during my visit 2 weeks ago. I don't really know how long it will take, impossible to know in advance, but I think it will several months. Another person here on the forum applied to the permit in June and she still has received an appointment for the bio-metrics! So I am expecting also a lot of delays.

Best regards,
Kassem

Thanks kassem for your swift response,
Did they ask you about your long absence at the airport(more than 6 months).
Best Regards.

You're very welcome.

No they didn't ask any questions regarding the absence. They only asked when did I leave the US (I guess they already had that information in their records anyway). I was away for 11 months. The officer was very friendly and it took a few seconds only to process my entry.

Best regards,
Kassem

Very nice, wishing you the best.
friend of mine has applied for the reentry permit two months ago,he told me that he is expecting the Bio-metrics soon.
If you allow me, Which airport you entered?
Is it possible to apply for the reentry permit and leave and come back again for the Bio-metric.
Regards

I entered from Newark international airport.
Yes, you can apply for the permit and leave and come back for the Bio-metrics appointment. That's what I did, as I could not wait for several months due to my work but also to budget reasons. It was cheaper for me to pay for another flight ticket and come back in some months.

Very nice, wishing you the best.
friend of mine has applied for the reentry permit two months ago,he told me that he is expecting the Bio-metrics soon.
If you allow me, Which airport you entered?
Is it possible to apply for the reentry permit and leave and come back again for the Bio-metric.
Regards
what does he mean by "expecting biometrics soon" - does he have an appointment letter?

I entered from Newark international airport.
Yes, you can apply for the permit and leave and come back for the Bio-metrics appointment. That's what I did, as I could not wait for several months due to my work but also to budget reasons. It was cheaper for me to pay for another flight ticket and come back in some months.
HI Kassem,
I heard that NewYork state is mandating 14 days as aquarantine period from the arrival date , in such case is it possible to make short trip (I. e. enter and reternback within 4 days).?
Thank you

HI Kassem,
I heard that NewYork state is mandating 14 days as aquarantine period from the arrival date , in such case is it possible to make short trip (I. e. enter and reternback within 4 days).?
Thank you

That's correct. You are required to quarantine. They will call even call you every 2 days to make sure you are Ok and that you have no symptoms and also to recommend that you get tested. Technically, you are only allowed to leave your hotel/residence to buy food and necessities. But the rules keep changing so better check before your trip.

The duration of the trip was not an issue. They didn't say anything at the airport upon arrival and also when I left. When they called me after I left the country, I informed them that I left NY and won't be coming back anytime soon, so they said that it's Ok and that they will not be contacting me again.

Best,
Kassem

That's correct. You are required to quarantine. They will call even call you every 2 days to make sure you are Ok and that you have no symptoms and also to recommend that you get tested. Technically, you are only allowed to leave your hotel/residence to buy food and necessities. But the rules keep changing so better check before your trip.

The duration of the trip was not an issue. They didn't say anything at the airport upon arrival and also when I left. When they called me after I left the country, I informed them that I left NY and won't be coming back anytime soon, so they said that it's Ok and that they will not be contacting me again.

Best,
Kassem
Thanks kassem for the detailed answer, I am really appreciating that,
Are you recommending us to buy two way or one way ticket?
how many days did you stay in Newyork.?
How they are calling through phone or email?
And after you left how they called you when you are abroad already?
Regards

Thanks kassem for the detailed answer, I am really appreciating that,
Are you recommending us to buy two way or one way ticket?
how many days did you stay in Newyork.?
How they are calling through phone or email?
And after you left how they called you when you are abroad already?
Regards

Sure you're welcome.

I stayed for 5 days in NY and I had a return (2 way) ticket. It was not an issue and the officer didn't say anything about that.

Also note that this is my first absence since I became a permanent resident (last year), so I guess they understand that I still need some time to permanently move to the US, specially in these times during the pandemic.

They were calling me by phone. If you go to NY, it is mandatory to fill a travel form 24 hours before your travel where you provide your contact details. I have given them my American phone number so they called me there. They also called me on the same number when I left the US.

Best,
Kassem
No, technically you may only leave for emergencies and medical appointments, including Covid testing. You are supposed to get food delivered. This has been the case since at least July.

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2020/07/nys-covid-travel-advisory-faq_0.pdf (top of page 2)

• Food must be delivered to the individual’s quarters.
There are some countries that are exempt from quarantine, they are on the first link above.

No, technically you may only leave for emergencies and medical appointments, including Covid testing. You are supposed to get food delivered. This has been the case since at least July.

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2020/07/nys-covid-travel-advisory-faq_0.pdf (top of page 2)

• Food must be delivered to the individual’s quarters.
There are some countries that are exempt from quarantine, they are on the first link above.

Indeed, I also saw these official guidelines. However, when they called me from NY department of health, I asked if I can go out to buy things or go to the park, and the lady, said yeah, if you have no symptoms. So I guess, they are not that strict. But yeah, better follow the official guidelines.

Indeed, I also saw these official guidelines. However, when they called me from NY department of health, I asked if I can go out to buy things or go to the park, and the lady, said yeah, if you have no symptoms. So I guess, they are not that strict. But yeah, better follow the official guidelines.

I don't think what you were told has to do with them not being strict in enforcing the laid down (written) guidance. This sounds like when people call the USCIS 1800 number and they are given misinformation. People should go by what the documented official source says, not what someone (who may be a not quite knowledgeable 3rd party contractor, like the first line personnel who answer the USCIS 1800 number) says on the phone - that conversation is not documented.

I don't think what you were told has to do with them not being strict in enforcing the laid down (written) guidance. This sounds like when people call the USCIS 1800 number and they are given misinformation. People should go by what the documented official source says, not what someone (who may be a not quite knowledgeable 3rd party contractor, like the first line personnel who answer the USCIS 1800 number) says on the phone - that conversation is not documented.

Yes indeed, that makes sense. stick to the official guidance. That’s what I did. There are even some heavy fines if they find you that broke the quarantine rules. Plus, the Covid situation is getting bad now in NY, so we shouldnt make it worse...