Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Not really since your 5th year anniversary is Dec 23. The may be waiting to schedule your interview after Dec 23. Be patient.Give it a few weeks after Dec 23 to inquire if you haven't received answer by then.

On Dec'31,2009 I received an email from USCIS stating that my case has been forwarded to Local Office for Interview. How many days does it take to get the IL?

On Dec'31,2009 I received an email from USCIS stating that my case has been forwarded to Local Office for Interview. How many days does it take to get the IL?

Your timing kind of confirms that RDU DO is moving based on RD not FP completion date. Your interview date will mostly likely be in Feb 2nd or 3rd week ( 5-6 weeks after email ). that's a total of 4 months from RD.

Hi there,

I am preparing to apply for my citizenship and my wife's. I have few questions:

1. How long does it currently take? I live In Cary/Raleigh area.
2. Do you advise to have lawyer do it? I contacted Murthy
and they are asking for $1500 per application (only their fees) which I find
quite a lot since it is str8 forward and N-400 does not seem that
complicated.
3. Should I send two envelopes for my wife and myself or can I send the two
applications in the same envelope?

Thanks,
Spartakus

Hi there,

I am preparing to apply for my citizenship and my wife's. I have few questions:

1. How long does it currently take? I live In Cary/Raleigh area.
About 5 months.
2. Do you advise to have lawyer do it? I contacted Murthy
and they are asking for $1500 per application (only their fees) which I find
quite a lot since it is str8 forward and N-400 does not seem that
complicated.
Not unless your case is complicated.
3. Should I send two envelopes for my wife and myself or can I send the two
applications in the same envelope?

Thanks,
Spartakus
One envelope with both applications is fine.

Raleigh, NC : D/O
01/05/2005: GC Date
11/6/2009: N-400 Mail Date
11/9/2009: N-400 Rcvd Date
11/10/2009: Priority Date
11/10/2009: NOA Rcvd Date
11/9/2009: Check Cashed Date
11/17/2009: FP Letter Received
11/30/2009: Yellow Letter Received(DL reqd at interview)
12/07/2009: FP Date (Done as per schedule)

Haven't received IL yet. USCIS message says "case on hold until RFE docs are sent" but the YL just says"bring DL to the inetrview".

Can you please tell me what to do now?

did you check if you fp went through? It might be that the FP approval has not reached USCIS. You probably should call up the FBI and check if the FP was sent back. If not, then you should just do FP again. There have been cases on this board where the FP was lost.

Case on hold

FBI FP verification was comepleted on the same day Dec 7th.

Also the automated message says they mailed an RFE on Nov16th but i didnt receive any letter dated nov 16th and that the "case is on hold" until they receive the docs requested.... However i did receive the YL dated NOv 30th, that asks to bring in the DL on the interview date... Is it possible that i missed a letter in transit?

Any info is appreciated.

--------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case the YL did not even update the LUD on the website. So YL is not an RFE in any way shape or form.

The Nov 16th RFE is probably the FP letter. RFE is the category under which the FP letter is treated by the sytem.

The best approach for you is to call them up and try to talk to somebody failing which, getting an infopass and going in to talk to them is probably not a bad idea. When on the phone, the general consensus is that talking to the customer service people is usually unproductive since they will just read you what you see on the website. To get value, you need to talk to a "second level IO", who has more information/is more knowledgable about the process.

In my case the YL did not even update the LUD on the website. So YL is not an RFE in any way shape or form.

The Nov 16th RFE is probably the FP letter. RFE is the category under which the FP letter is treated by the sytem.

The best approach for you is to call them up and try to talk to somebody failing which, getting an infopass and going in to talk to them is probably not a bad idea. When on the phone, the general consensus is that talking to the customer service people is usually unproductive since they will just read you what you see on the website. To get value, you need to talk to a "second level IO", who has more information/is more knowledgable about the process.
Thanks- I called them up yesterday and the level 1 rep raised a ticket (or enquiry) and i received an email today saying
"The status of this service request is:

We apologize for the error on USCIS Case Status Online that states you were mailed an RFE notice requesting additional evidence on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. This is a service error. The notice that was mailed out was your Biometric Appointment Notice with your local ASC which you may have already attended. Your application is currently pending and will be worked in the order it was received by USCIS. Again we apologize for the error and any inconvenience it may have caused you.

If you have any further questions, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283."

Hi Gee24,

Happy New Year!

Thanks for the clarification; will do so. In my case, I believe I have to just keep quiet since the lawyer submitted the Original copy with wet signature on it for GC already! I moved almost 5 times after that! Can't find where the copy is!

Best!

Interview Complete

For the benefit of those, who have applied in Raleigh DO - Myself and wife succssfully completed out interview today at Raleigh DO on 11th Jan 2010. Our Oath is scheduled for 22nd Jan 2010. My interview was 5 minute affair - the officer was super nice, didnt ask for my Letter or DL or Passport. Just zipped thorugh my original application real quick, administered written , oral and civic test and congratulated me.

It was really really fast - 5 minutes tops. Good luck to all those who are still waiting.

Congrats Kailashrathi.
How did they go about setting up the Oath date?
and is this standard procedure for the Durham DO?
thx
chola

Thanks- I called them up yesterday and the level 1 rep raised a ticket (or enquiry) and i received an email today saying
"The status of this service request is:

We apologize for the error on USCIS Case Status Online that states you were mailed an RFE notice requesting additional evidence on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. This is a service error. The notice that was mailed out was your Biometric Appointment Notice with your local ASC which you may have already attended. Your application is currently pending and will be worked in the order it was received by USCIS. Again we apologize for the error and any inconvenience it may have caused you.

If you have any further questions, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283."
I called USCIS again today and asked for the 2nd level immigration officer.
He says my application is in queue to be scheduled for interview but there are no dates available currently so i can expect to receive the IL anytime now. However my online status has not been updated.

I called USCIS again today and asked for the 2nd level immigration officer.
He says my application is in queue to be scheduled for interview but there are no dates available currently so i can expect to receive the IL anytime now. However my online status has not been updated.

gcnowhere1

I try to call USCIS , but all the automatic response, do you know quick way to get transfer to live person.

Oath Date - After the interview is over, they ask you to sit outside while the Supervisor reviews the application again give a final decision on approval. Once that is done, you get the approval letter and the Oath letter with date right there.

Standard procedure for what?

Congrats Kailashrathi.
How did they go about setting up the Oath date?
and is this standard procedure for the Durham DO?
thx
chola

For the benefit of those, who have applied in Raleigh DO - Myself and wife succssfully completed out interview today at Raleigh DO on 11th Jan 2010. Our Oath is scheduled for 22nd Jan 2010. My interview was 5 minute affair - the officer was super nice, didnt ask for my Letter or DL or Passport. Just zipped thorugh my original application real quick, administered written , oral and civic test and congratulated me.

It was really really fast - 5 minutes tops. Good luck to all those who are still waiting.

Hi,

Congrats and Happy New Year! Our interview coming up w/ Raleigh DO shortly as well. Please share any other info that you found unique here if you find some time! :)

And, I remember you were asking about managing 4-year old in the thread before-- did they allow kids during the interview? How did you manage? We have a 3 year old to deal with and we both got 8am slot on the same day.

Best!

Thanks Natz.
Actually there is nothing unique about interview. Main thing is to keep your calm. If your case is straight forward, then there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Regarding managing your kid, even though you have same timeslots, if one of you is already inside and other one gets called, you can tell them to wait for 15-20 minutes to take care of the kid. Otherwise, if you prefer you can even take the kid inside. I saw few people doing that as well. Its really no big deal and they are very accomodative. Good luck.

Hi,

Congrats and Happy New Year! Our interview coming up w/ Raleigh DO shortly as well. Please share any other info that you found unique here if you find some time! :)

And, I remember you were asking about managing 4-year old in the thread before-- did they allow kids during the interview? How did you manage? We have a 3 year old to deal with and we both got 8am slot on the same day.

Best!

gcnowhere1

I try to call USCIS , but all the automatic response, do you know quick way to get transfer to live person.
Yes you do get the automated message and you will have to go through it as far as i know.

I chose the option for "Document posted but not received", then i asked the live rep to transfer me to the next level immigration officer.