Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

I'm scared to mail the nat cert... :(
I think I'll drive to DC and get the pp.
(is it only possible if you have emergency travel plans or can anyone do it?)

I think every new citizen goes through this. I also was scared to send away my certificate. I cringed when the postal clerk stapled it to my passport application. Fortunately, the clerk was considerate enough to put the staple through the white border, avoiding damage to the actual certificate part.

Since you must show proof of travel within 14 days (it can be an itinerary) and drive to D.C., I suggest biting the bullet and mailing your cert. Don't worry, you'll get it back.

ok.
so even if i don't need same day service, I still have to have travel plans within 14 days?
(I don't need same day service; I just want to avoid mailing the nat. certificate; I don't care if they process within normal time and send me the PP later in the mail, as long as I can just show them the nat cert and submit my appl in person.)

in other words:
Can I go to DC, show them nat cert (and take it back), give them my pp application, and come home, and they mail me the pp later?
do i need to be traveling within 14 days even for that?

ok.
so even if i don't need same day service, I still have to have travel plans within 14 days?
(I don't need same day service; I just want to avoid mailing the nat. certificate; I don't care if they process within normal time and send me the PP later in the mail, as long as I can just show them the nat cert and submit my appl in person.)

in other words:
Can I go to DC, show them nat cert (and take it back), give them my pp application, and come home, and they mail me the pp later?
do i need to be traveling within 14 days even for that?

Unfortunately, the regional passport agencies only offer same day (expedited) service. They operate by appointment only and won't see you unless you have proof of travel within 14 days.

If it's any consolation Washburn, I sent mine in without even having photo copied it before (I intended to, but didn't). I received the certificate back one day after passport in a large envelope (they didn't fold it in half as some have observed).

They didn't fold mine either. In fact, it was returned to me in perfect condition. If worst comes to worst, you can send the Kong Rats after them!;)

and where does one get the best quality pp photos?
I hate the ones that cvs/walgreens did for my N400.
as this is a one time thing, cost is not very prohibitive.

and where does one get the best quality pp photos?
I hate the ones that cvs/walgreens did for my N400.
as this is a one time thing, cost is not very prohibitive.

I hated the ones CVS did for me as well. In fact, I ended up not using them. I went to a local mom and pop photo studio and their photos were far better, albeit a bit more expensive. Basically, go to a local place where they actually use a professional camera, not a crappy point-and-shoot.

By last Monday, our PP books, cards, and Nat Certs had all arrived (in dribs and drabs)! :)

My Nat Cert was slightly bent, but my wife's was creased. :mad:

My goody-two-shoes wife was hesitant to copy the cert, because of the dire warning in red about copying! I told her not to worry, because most folks on this forum copied their certs.

Good luck parting with yours, Washburn!

Any September 2008 filers got IL?

Hi All,

My father applied N-400 in the first week of Spetember 2008. He got finger printing notice within 3 weeks. But after his first finger printing, he got another notice. Because print taken the first time was unreadable. He is 74, finger prints in his palm are fading. He gave the prints again on November 19th. Hopefully, it is good this time. they said if my father doesn't get another notice to go local police station for another finger print check, he should be ok.

We are wondering when the interview will be scheduled. Any August or September 2008 filers got IL yet?

Thanks for your response,
Newbie001.

We are wondering when the interview will be scheduled. Any August or September 2008 filers got IL yet?

Thanks for your response,
Newbie001.

You can expect interview 3-4 months after FP, so in his case somewhere between end of January to mid March would be a good guesstimate.

I remember reading a discussion regarding bringing a SS letter even if a peson entered the country after the age 26. What is the current opinion regarding this matter? Is there anyone who has had interview in Durham office and has not brought a SS letter because of coming to the country after 26?
Thank you.

I came to US after age of 26 and was interviewed in Durham. The IO looked at my case, noted that I arrived after the age of 26 and jokingly stated "ahh, the SS folks didn't get you in time" and moved on to next question. No request for a letter was made nor did I bother trying to get a SS letter of proof in the first place since the facts were obvious.