Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

I'm doing great; will do greater in 2 days when my finals are over...

Got social security status updated, and made the name appear just like in nat. cert. (I got the nat. cert to leave out an annoying initial i had on my previous ss card, which was based on my old pp when I first applied for a ss card).
got the new ss card with the altered name (without the annoying initial) yesterday in the mail :)
so now my ss card name and nat cert name are exactly the same; and I can get the pp with the same name now (no initial!)
I wanted to get this alteration done before applying for a US pp, because it was annoying the heck outta me, and I just want everything to be consistent.

Now, to apply for a US pp as soon as my finals week is over. :)

oh btw, that exam that I took right after oath went well; I made a B in that class at the end :)

how're the others??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Newbie here. I've been reading this thread because my case is also at Raleigh-Durham. My application was received on June 7, 2008, had my FP at charlotte's office in first week of September. Since then, I havent heard anything from them. I was trying to set up an infopass a while ago, but I encountered two problems. Number 1, the infopass website that was provided in this thread is sooo slow and my operating systems that it has a certification issue and I cant remember the exact phrase used by windows but it is like "proceed at your own risk". I proceeded anyway. It asked me to enter my zipcode, by the way, I live in VA but surprisingly, my papers are in Raleigh-Durham, I had my FP there. Anyone on the same boat? Now here is what confuses me, I entered my zipcode, and the infopass website returned an ASC office, ONLY ONE, which is the Washington ASC. That confuses me a whole lot. Because each time I check on the USCIS phone line, my zipcode belongs to Raleigh-Durham office. And since I wanted to check my application's status, of course I want to set an infopass at the office where my papers are, right? Why is this infopass website not recognizing that my zipcode belongs to the Ral-Charlotte office? Could it be that my paper should really be in Washington Office and they erroneously forwarded my application to Durham? I dont know... I wish someone could tell me. It is really frustrating that everyone at USCIS seems to tell you that they are working on your file when they cannot even tell you what is the last update on your file.

I have another question, I am reading that everyone seems to be calling the USCIS to speak to an IO... everytime I call the USCIS, all I get to talk to are these people who do not know anything more than what I already know because they are just looking at the same info on the USCIS website. How do you guys get to talk to an IO? The Customer Reps at USCIS always tell me to wait and wait and wait... but reading some horror stories of some applicants, I just cant sit here and wait while I am seeing these other applicants who applied a month or a couple of months or more after I did and they had their interviews scheduled already, and their papers are also processed at the Durham office... this is sickening to me, this whole USCIS journey. It seems that there is no real system.

It's not your operating system, it's your browser. Try using an alternative browser. If you use Internet Explorer, try Firefox, Opera, or Safari. In my opinion, Firefox works best.

Thanks Mr. Vertigo. I will try that.

However, I called NCSC just a while ago just to make sure that my local office is really the Durham office according to their voice recording. Here is what I found out, the recording says "If you want to know the local office that serves your area, press 1. If you want to know the local office that serves your area, press 2." What is the difference between the two choices??? But then I decided to try both options, guess what, when I pressed 1, it says my local office is Washington ASC. When I pressed 2, it says that my local office is Raleigh-Durham!!! What are they doing?? It pisses me off because entering my real zip code directs me to washington office each time I try to set up an infopass appointment! Grrrr... this is our taxes working for us, eh? Now it got me to thinking, this is maybe why I havent heard anything from the Durham office?? Maybe VSC sent my papers to Washington ASC?? or maybe the FBI sent my search results to the wrong office?? ARGH!!! This is really making me annoyed now. This USCIS screws things up!

JMJR,

have you tried to make an InfoPass appointment in the office closest to you to ask them directly? They'll be able to better assist you than the automated phone system which is, apparently, broken in your case.

passed the interview

Hi all,

I had an interview on Dec, 03, charlotte DO passed the test, and the interview. Because of the name change, i will be taking the oath at the court on Feb,27 2009. At the end i am glad it's almost over

Guys,

Need your input. My wife has finished her Interview at Durham, NC in October and requested for a name change. IO informed that as soon as they get a judge an oath letter will be sent out.

I took an Infopass 3 weeks back and enquired about the delay in the process. the response was still the Judge was not available to do the name change. I haven't heard anything yet as of Today.

Is anyone facing the same issue? please share your thoughts.

WooHoo! My PP arrived today! :D

Still waiting for PP card, Natz cert, and my wife is waiting for all of the above.

Now that our 16-month travel limbo ordeal is over with, we booked flights back to the home country to see family in February -- will then get to test drive our new PPs! :)

Sorry to see the ordeal that folks still caught up in the entrails of USCIS are going through. Chin up, guys, the day will actually come from you'll be free of them!

Guys,

Need your input. My wife has finished her Interview at Durham, NC in October and requested for a name change. IO informed that as soon as they get a judge an oath letter will be sent out.

I took an Infopass 3 weeks back and enquired about the delay in the process. the response was still the Judge was not available to do the name change. I haven't heard anything yet as of Today.

Is anyone facing the same issue? please share your thoughts.

Naturalizations with name change have to go through a Federal judge. They only schedule a few of these types of oaths per year in Raleigh, so it sounds like they are waiting for availability of judge to schedule one. It can take up to 4 months after interview, but hopefully you 'll hear something before then.

Bobsmyth,

I am going through the same process. The IO handed asked me to sign on a paper with old and new name, and asked me to sign the paper included all my basic information and he said this will be used for naturalization production. my question is when i go to the ceremony the judge will give me a proof of name change or just the certificate? do i need to pay fees for name change? the name change will be done before the ceremony or in the same date?

thanks

Bobsmyth,

I am going through the same process. The IO handed asked me to sign on a paper with old and new name, and asked me to sign the paper included all my basic information and he said this will be used for naturalization production. my question is when i go to the ceremony the judge will give me a proof of name change or just the certificate? do i need to pay fees for name change? the name change will be done before the ceremony or in the same date?

thanks

As I understand the process, the name change and oath take place at once. You will get your naturalization certificate with new name at the oath. Depending on the court, they may or may not give you an additional name change certificate.

Still waiting for PP card, Natz cert, and my wife is waiting for all of the above.

Now that our 16-month travel limbo ordeal is over with, we booked flights back to the home country to see family in February -- will then get to test drive our new PPs! :)

Sorry to see the ordeal that folks still caught up in the entrails of USCIS are going through. Chin up, guys, the day will actually come from you'll be free of them!

Kong Rats in Washburn lingo!!
Isnt it nice that all of the wait/agony everything is finally over.

I am planning to travel for one month before the oath, do you think this will effect me

1 month of travel before scheduled oath is not going to cause any issues. You'll just have to declare it on N-445 oath letter.
Is your oath in Charlotte Federal court?

"Kong Rats" indeed!

Thanks, guys!

I must confess it took a wee little while for the penny to drop regarding the meaning of Washburn's "Kong rats"! :)

My wife's PP arrived today, as well as my natz cert and PP card. Her's should arrive tomorrow. Still basking in the glow of citizenship!

1 month of travel before scheduled oath is not going to cause any issues. You'll just have to declare it on N-445 oath letter.
Is your oath in Charlotte Federal court?

The oath will be in the federal court this is what the IO told me, he said i will not have you to come to charlotte again. I called the fedreal court about the next ceremony and she confirm it Feb,27

I'm scared to mail the nat cert... :(
I think I'll drive to DC and get the pp.
(is it only possible if you have emergency travel plans or can anyone do it?)