Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Oath Done

Quite a show. 919 persons naturalizing from 112 countries, was mentioned, if I caught it correct.

It looked like it was going to be a mess. The new convention center does not have proper signs etc. so it was not clear where to go. But there were folks calling out and directing folks to the side entrance.

We enter at 11.35 ish and see long lines already formed. Probably 60 people ahead of us. The oath letter asks us to report to Cabarrus st. entrance Gate 9. But the new convention center does not seem to even touch Cabarrus st. But there were folks directing to the side doors.

USCIS officers came down the lines and asked if there were any changes since interview and signed off on the oath letter. Asked to look at the greencard. Finally we made it to the counter 9, and they pulled out our naturalization certificates and asked us to verify. And then took it back as well as the green cards. Gave us 2 slips of paper with gate number and table number with our A # written on it. Apparently we are to bring this back to them after oath ceremony and collect the naturalization certificate.

Then we are asked to go down the the convention hall and get seated.

Ceremony begins at 1pm.

Ends at 2pm. Then the new citizens are asked to remain seated and only proceed as the gates are called. Gates are numbered 1 to 10. Our turn came quite late, as it was gate 9. We browsed the stalls of the international festival.

Picked up the naturalization certificate.

Thats it. USC now.

The whole thing went ok, althought it could have been better organised in terms of directions and seating etc. I did see the USCIS staff walking around trying to get everyone to correct counters, and making sure naturalization folks were able to get seated and asking their friends and relatives to move to seperate area etc. I guess being the not the usual venue caused some problems for them and they seemed to cope by getting their staff to move around to direct everyone. Some of them even appeared to be friendly.

I did ask about next oath ceremonies being scheduled, and the lady from whom I was picking up said there was quite a few being planned end of september and early october. She mentioned like 10 or so of them planned, didnt give any more details.

So hope you all waiting for oath will get soon too.

All the best, and thanks for all the help, advice and sharing of information/experiences. Helped quite a lot.

KNP beat me to the posting, so I'll just add a few personal observations/experiences. I got there at 10:05 and there were already lines formed. The "gates" (mine was 4) were actually tables, where an IO took my letter and green card and put me back in line to sign my certificate. After that, I got a slip of paper with my A# handwritten along with a gate (4) and table number (9). No further explanation.

My wife and I hung out browsing the exhibits and checking out the Marriott before taking seats around 11:30.

The ceremony started at 1 and finished at 2, right as scheduled. There was a lot of confusion after that as no-one told us clearly where to go to get our certificates! When I got upstairs there was a crowd with different gate numbers (other than those that had been called), which meant the officers had to call out gate numbers again and ask the others to make a pathway available. That was not pretty.

No George Bush video welcoming us. I didn't mind. More speeches than I was expecting, but they were short.

Considering the number of candidates and the logistics associated with the new location, I'd say it went pretty well. The loudest and longest applause came when Jeffrey Sapko (USCIS District Director) said that we wouldn't have to deal with his agency any more. Amen to that, brother!

I didn't ask about future oaths (sorry, it was all too frantic at the "gates"), but I hope it's a lot, and soon. Judge Britt said that he normally does them at the courthouse and with a smaller group that he can greet one at a time. That wouldn't have worked today.

Congratulations knp and PhishC!!..thanks for sharing your story and info :)

I guessing that the multiple oaths planned for end of September will be at the downtown federal building. fbanna, you'll be part of one of those oaths I'm sure.

You have to adjust the picture to noon when there's a big crowd.

I don't know what that crowd was about - our whole ceremony and the pre-ambles occurred inside.

It feels good to be done. I hope those of you still waiting on your oaths are able to get the same feeling soon.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU THAT WERE NATURALIZED TODAY. Don't forget to make a copy of your naturalization certificate before applying for passport. Thanks so much Knp. I was not at the ceremony, but I have the feeling like I was in there. Now, I know what to expect. Thanks for asking about future oath ceremonies. Hopefully, we (Bob and I) will be scheduled for one of the next ones. :):)

Hi, everyone! I am new here, first, congratulate you who completed the oath.

I did my interview on June 10th in Charlotte, after the interview, the IO told me I will get my oath letter for Raleigh in 2 or 3 weeks, but I still haven't received anything now. So frustrated, I called the USCIS, the person who answered the phone was really rude, didn't let me talk, just told me don't call if not 120 days from the interview date. So frustrated, don't know what to do next.

I saw this post, hope you can shed some light on this matter.

Thank you!

June 10th ? And you haven't receive anything ? Make infopass or try to call USCIS again. Hopefully you will get a nice IO this time.

June 10th ? And you haven't receive anything ? Make infopass or try to call USCIS again. Hopefully you will get a nice IO this time.

Thank you fbanna. I kept reading 'INFOPASS', in this forum, not quite sure what it is. Did some search, so it is an appointment system with a $19 fee, do we have one in RTP area?

Appreciate your answer!

To all interested parties, INFOPASS is now available in Raleigh Durham DO. Please book as soon as possible.

To all interested parties, INFOPASS is now available in Raleigh Durham DO. Please book as soon as possible.

Great help!!! :D:D Hug! Hug! I just booked one in Durham for next Wednesday. At least I can see a real person this time.

Have a wonderful weekend!!

$19 fee for Infopass? What website did you see that at? Must be fbanna trying to make some money on the side.:D

No George Bush video welcoming us. I didn't mind. More speeches than I was expecting, but they were short.

Considering the number of candidates and the logistics associated with the new location, I'd say it went pretty well. The loudest and longest applause came when Jeffrey Sapko (USCIS District Director) said that we wouldn't have to deal with his agency any more. Amen to that, brother!

Congratulations PhishC and Knp..
I am sure you are all relieved to be done with USCIS. Yeh.. Although I would have loved to see Frank Caliendo impersonating the prez as a part of the welcome video.
Thanks for sharing the information. I was looking all day for the post. :)
Good luck.