Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

help with timeline

My interview has been scheduled for October 23rd at Charlotte DO and after that in the month of November I have to plan for an international trip.

Can anyone please let me know how much time does it take from interview to oath and also when does your old passport becomes invalid .

Also how much time does it take to get a new passport done. This timeline will help me plan my trip.

Thanks a lot

Congrats to Bob and fbanna.

I have no idea. I knew someone who had interview last year and had same day oath. As for now, things may have changed. No oath has been done in Raleigh for civilians since they opened in May 2008. the 1st oath ceremony is scheduled for Friday, provided that Hanna does not mess it up.

Make an infopass and ask the Charlotte DO. They may me able to give you the proper answer.

I read in the news that they will make a decision tomorrow whether to keep the Raleigh convention opening ceremony or cancel it. It will all depend on the pathway followed by Hanna. So far, it looks like Hanna will hit the triangle pretty hard.

With the current mobilization against Hanna, i don't know if authorities will continue with this ceremony.

Let's hope the ceremony (the naturalization at least) doesn't get cancelled so we can be on the next ship.

I read that a convention center manager said they could move the ribbon-cutting inside if necessary. The cancellation was for "Raleigh Wide Open" which is mostly outdoors, and I'm not sure how they could delay the official center opening by more than a couple of days - they have events booked for later this month. Of course, if Hanna were to hit hard earlier than anticipated (they're now saying Friday afternoon to start seeing the first effects, more overnight and Saturday), all bets could be off.

So please keep all fingers and toes crossed for the 1,000-plus of us who are scheduled for Friday. If we're delayed, it could take forever for them to catch up - I'm sure they were planning on getting close to current with one big-bang ceremony. My interview date was July 10, so my oath date is 57 days later. Hopefully the waiting times will decrease after Friday's ceremony.

My interview date was July 10, so my oath date is 57 days later. Hopefully the waiting times will decrease after Friday's ceremony.

Considering your IO told you oath would be in sometime September, at least that was accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still doubt that those sworn in on May 9, 2008 had their interview in Raleigh/Durham DO. It may be those interviewed in the past in Charlotte who lived in Raleigh.

Both ways, I still don't get why it took them a while to do the oath, unless they were trying to get thousands at the opening ceremony. Let's see if we get an oath soon.

I still doubt that those sworn in on May 9, 2008 had their interview in Raleigh/Durham DO. It may be those interviewed in the past in Charlotte who lived in Raleigh.

Both ways, I still don't get why it took them a while to do the oath, unless they were trying to get thousands at the opening ceremony. Let's see if we get an oath soon.

Correct, up until now people interviewed at Raleigh/Durham DO did not have an oath in Raleigh this year (at least I haven't heard of one). There were oath ceremonies in Kinston and Southport in July, which makes it possible that someone who interviewed in Raleigh in May may have been included in those oaths.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1131447.html

http://www.southporttimes.com/articles/2008062604.html

Bobsmyth,

In case you have time, you can show up atg the ceremony. It will be open to the public.

http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/se...e_Thousand_Immigrants_-20080903-17032439.html

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it for 1:00pm. I'm sure it will get plenty of local news coverage provided that it doesn't get canceled due to inclement weather (rain is only expected late Friday so I'm sure the ceremony won't be canceled).
I still like to know where they intend to hold the next ceremonies in mid September early October since the convention center doesn't have USCIS on its schedule for then. I wonder if an IO at Infopass would be able to provide that info. I sent an email to Judge Earl Britt's court clerk asking for his oath ceremony schedule, but the clerk is on vacation until next week.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it for 1:00pm. I'm sure it will get plenty of local news coverage provided that it doesn't get canceled due to inclement weather (rain is only expected late Friday so I'm sure the ceremony won't be canceled).
I still like to know where they intend to hold the next ceremonies in mid September early October since the convention center doesn't have USCIS on its schedule for then. I wonder if an IO at Infopass would be able to provide that info. I sent an email to Judge Earl Britt's court clerk asking for his oath ceremony schedule, but the clerk is on vacation until next week.

I had an infopass schedule for this morning at 09:00 AM, but i couldn't go because I lost my confirmation sheet. I will try to make another one when it becomes available

I had an infopass schedule for this morning at 09:00 AM, but i couldn't go because I lost my confirmation sheet. I will try to make another one when it becomes available

fbanna, what's going on? First you nearly miss your rescheduled interview, and now you lose your confirmation sheet! :)

Considering your IO told you oath would be in sometime September, at least that was accurate.

Yes, she said "September" and I'm done with them tomorrow!

I got my oath letter only two weeks before the ceremony, so there's still hope for at least one more local ceremony this month. They could do another big one at the fairgrounds, at Memorial Auditorium, at NCSU's McKimmon Center or on other school campuses. It's not like they don't have a good number of options for taking care of the oath backlog.

Yes, she said "September" and I'm done with them tomorrow!

I got my oath letter only two weeks before the ceremony, so there's still hope for at least one more local ceremony this month. They could do another big one at the fairgrounds, at Memorial Auditorium, at NCSU's McKimmon Center or on other school campuses. It's not like they don't have a good number of options for taking care of the oath backlog.

Good luck tomorrow at oath ceremony PhishC..I hope it's not too chaotic since it's the biggest oath ever in Raleigh. Let us know how it went.

Good luck tomorrow at oath ceremony PhishC..I hope it's not too chaotic since it's the biggest oath ever in Raleigh. Let us know how it went.
Who in fact organize oath ceremonies? Is it the Federal Court system, the District Office, or the local authorities (Governor, Senators, event organizers ?)

I am wondering how difficult is it to organize such an event ?