Q1 (JAN-MAR) 2009 N400 Filers Tracker

Congrats Akmh123!!! Are you sure he asked only 5 questions? I thought you have to answer 6 questions. My IO asked me all 10 questions.

Only the stamp. And he only asked me 5 questions. Maybe he realized that I was well prepared and figured I knew the answers to alll of them. Who knows. Maybe he was super nice because I am pregnant...hehehe.

A week has passed since my interview got descheduled and no reschedule notice yet. When should I expect it? or maybe I should just show up on the 27th as if I never received the deschedule notice!

Interview

Today I had my interview at the Houston DO.
I was scheduled for 8.30. I got there at 7.50; the nat. waiting area was fairly crowded.
There is box where one should place the interview letter. They constantly pick up the letters and pull and line up the files for interview.
The interview is in two parts, an officer called my name at 8.30 sharp and took me to a cubicle for the Civics test. He had a sheet from which he asked the questions. The questions are from the book.
He asked:
What group of people was taken to America as slaves
Why did the colonists fight the British
Who makes the laws
What is the highest court in the country
Who is the Vice President now
Why did the colonists came to America

Then there is another piece of paper from which he made me read
Who can vote
and instructed me to write
Citizens can vote

After that he congratulated for passing and told me to go back to the waiting area.

At 9.00 I was called by an IO for the interview.
He asked all the questions and information on the N-400 form.
Then he asked if I owed taxes. I said no. Then asked if I had a copy of the most recent tax return. I did not. He said it did not matter.

He told me that I was approved and to go back to wait for the oath letter.
It took 15 min.
They gave me the oath letter at 9.50.

For people who have applied based on marriage to US citizen. Has anyone gone for an interview without spouse's naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship?

On I-797C notice says bring spouse certificate of citizenship and on N-659 (interview document checklist), it says bring all of following:
(a) proof that your spouse has been a US citizen (naturalization certificate OR spouse valid US passport )
(b) current marriage certificate
(c) proof of termination of all previous marriages for BOTH you and your spouse
(d) original IRS form 1722 listing of tax information for past three years or copies of tax forms for past three years
(e) proof of marital union as well as proof of residence

Spouse does not have certificate of citizenship, its misplaced. I check USCIS website and to get a copy it goes $380 (ridiculous charge) and not even sure how long will that take. I-797C bring what is applicable and checklist says US passport or certificate.

My question is has anyone gone for interview and been asked this certificate or US passport is sufficient?

For people who recently got their certificate after gaining US citizenship, does it have any ID or number or info on how to find that number if its misplaced.?

thanks for your responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the letter says, a valid US passport is sufficient.

Each certificate of citizenship comes with a unique number and also has your A# on it.

Itahou- Congratulations on passing the interview. Great that you got Oath letter at the end of interview --- Cool.

Two questions:
-Any issues when you went for early FP?
- What is the process to check if your FP were cleared by FBI?
*Any other tip you would like to share for folks from Houston?

---------------
N400 (Employment based GC)
DO Houston
4/07/2009: Priority Date
4/15/2009: NOA - N400 receipt
5/11/2009: FP notice
5/28/2009: Finger print schedule in Sugar Land
x/xx/2009: IL??

Got the IL yesterday for me and wifey, Interview/Oath scehduled on 27th July, 2009.
Below is the list of things that they asked to bring in,

1) All the travel documents we used to enter US or be in US.
2) The Interview letter.
3) Green Cards
4) Any proof of selective services registration.
5) Drivers License

I am not sure why did they ask for "Selective Services Registration", since I was on non-immigrant Visa till I was 31 years old. Any inputs on this?

Anybody was asked about the Selective Services and was on H1-B or any non-immigrant visa between 18-26 Years of the age? This one is bothering me.

Got the IL yesterday for me and wifey, Interview/Oath scehduled on 27th July, 2009.
Below is the list of things that they asked to bring in,

1) All the travel documents we used to enter US or be in US.
2) The Interview letter.
3) Green Cards
4) Any proof of selective services registration.
5) Drivers License

I am not sure why did they ask for "Selective Services Registration", since I was on non-immigrant Visa till I was 31 years old. Any inputs on this?

Anybody was asked about the Selective Services and was on H1-B or any non-immigrant visa between 18-26 Years of the age? This one is bothering me.

It's a generic letter, don't worry. If it doesn't apply to you, then no need to bring the status letter. Even your wife's letter probably has the same request, eventhough it does not apply to her.

Hallo firstimmigrant -

I did not have any problem going early for fingerprints.
On the letter it said that I could have rescheduled for a Wednesday or a Saturday so I guessed they were slow days. I have no idea if in fact they are or not.
I went on a Wednesday at noon. There were very few people inside and I asked the lady at the check in if I could get it done at that time as I might need to travel on the scheduled date.
She said she had to ask because they schedule so many people per hour. So she went to the supervisor's office with my letter. The supervisor (I could see from the window) talked to her for a while then stuck the head out of the door, looked at me, looked at the room and talked again to the lady. Then she came back and said, OK you can do it now.

I understand that others were not so lucky. I do not think it hurts asking, if you have the time.

FP are sent electronically to the FBI. From what I understand reading on the web, most are processed within 24 hours.
You can call the FBI fingerprint section (the number is in this thread, a few pages back). The will ask for your A#. They will tell you when they have received the finger prints, and when they sent the results back. They will not tell you what the results are and they do not have any information about background checks, which are done at another office (the FP section is in West Virginia).

Good luck.

Itahou- Congratulations on passing the interview. Great that you got Oath letter at the end of interview --- Cool.

Two questions:
-Any issues when you went for early FP?
- What is the process to check if your FP were cleared by FBI?
*Any other tip you would like to share for folks from Houston?

---------------
N400 (Employment based GC)
DO Houston
4/07/2009: Priority Date
4/15/2009: NOA - N400 receipt
5/11/2009: FP notice
5/28/2009: Finger print schedule in Sugar Land
x/xx/2009: IL??

Selective Service Letter

My interview is on May 28th.

I sent a request for status letter to SSS on April 2. Still had not received the letter, finally called them. I was told that they are two to three months behind schedule. The person also stated that Immigration is aware and there is nothing else I can do.

FYI in case you are in the same boat.

Today I had my interview at the Houston DO.
I was scheduled for 8.30. I got there at 7.50; the nat. waiting area was fairly crowded.
There is box where one should place the interview letter. They constantly pick up the letters and pull and line up the files for interview.
The interview is in two parts, an officer called my name at 8.30 sharp and took me to a cubicle for the Civics test. He had a sheet from which he asked the questions. The questions are from the book.
He asked:
What group of people was taken to America as slaves
Why did the colonists fight the British
Who makes the laws
What is the highest court in the country
Who is the Vice President now
Why did the colonists came to America

Then there is another piece of paper from which he made me read
Who can vote
and instructed me to write
Citizens can vote

After that he congratulated for passing and told me to go back to the waiting area.

At 9.00 I was called by an IO for the interview.
He asked all the questions and information on the N-400 form.
Then he asked if I owed taxes. I said no. Then asked if I had a copy of the most recent tax return. I did not. He said it did not matter.

He told me that I was approved and to go back to wait for the oath letter.
It took 15 min.
They gave me the oath letter at 9.50.

Congratulations. They did not give me the oath letter. They said they will mail it. Till now i have not got any thing.

Here's my updated timeline. Almost there...

02/02/2009 N-400 mailed to TSC (should be the lockbox !!!)
02/19/2009 Check cashed
02/21/2009 I-797C, NOA received ; details as follow : Received/Priority Date 02/05/2009; Notice Date 02/17/2009
03/03/2009 FP Appointment Notice received
03/18/2009 FP Done - USCIS CHA, NC
03/28/2009 Interview Letter received
05/05/2009 Interview Passed - USCIS Parkshore Office, Charleston, SC
05/14/2009 Scheduled Oath Ceremony - (same Charleston location)

I would have had my oath taking already on the same day of my interview but it was already a little late in the afternoon when it was finished; so they rescheduled it for tomorrow.

Goodluck everyone ! I'll most probably see some of you again in a diff forum once I start to petition my parents; just like I'm seeing some of you here now when I was still working to get my green card.

Thanks again for the great service you provide, Immigration.com !

Hello everyone,
It seems that my interview letter got lost in mail. I called the immigration and talked to a couple of IOs and got contradictory information as to how to proceed.
Has this happened to anyone here, and if so how do you resolve the problem?

Regards

Mng

03/09/2009 -- N-400 sent to Lewisville, TX
03/11/2009 -- N-400 received
03/19/2009 -- Notice/priority date
03/20/2009 -- Check cashed
03/21/2009 -- Notice received
04/07/2009 -- FP Notice received
04/08/2009 -- FP Done (Walk-in, FP Appointment was scheduled for 04/16/2009)
05/08/2008 -- CFR (Yellow letter) received
xx/xx/xxxx -- Interview letter received
06/16/2009 -- Interview scheduled

I got may oath letter in the mail today. I'm can't believe it took less than a week between the interview and the arrival of the letter. I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!