Processing time for green card based on asylum

Hey guys, will share some updates on my timeline for I-485:

October.6.2023 applied for asylum-based green card which is exactly 1 year after I was granted asylum ( IJ ). I included medical as well.
October.11.2023 fees credited.PHOENIX LOCKBOX
October.17.2023 received receipt in mail. National benefit center (MSC)
October.31.2023 fingerprints were reused

…Fast forward 7 months later…

June.24.2024 expedite request based on government interest as my work is beneficial for US public safety ( wish I had thought of it sooner tho )
June.27.2024 an agent contacted me, determined that I am qualified for an expedite and transferred my request to NBC. I was assigned referral number as well.

July.2.2024 assigned to an officer for response.
July.5.2024 I was emailed that my expedite is approved and should receive a decision within 90 days. They didn’t even ask for evidence. The email had PHX field office location so I suspected that my case was transferred to PHX and confirmed that chatting with customer service through Emma.

Will see how true is that within the next 90 days...definitely not expecting anything but will keep you posted! :)

October.6.2023 applied for asylum-based green card which is exactly 1 year after I was granted asylum ( IJ ). I included medical as well.

June.24.2024 expedite request based on government interest as my work is beneficial for US public safety ( wish I had thought of it sooner tho )
June.27.2024 an agent contacted me, determined that I am qualified for an expedite and transferred my request to NBC. I was assigned referral number as well.

July.5.2024 I was emailed that my expedite is approved and should receive a decision within 90 days. They didn’t even ask for evidence. The email had PHX field office location so I suspected that my case was transferred to PHX and confirmed that chatting with customer service through Emma.

Will see how true is that within the next 90 days...definitely not expecting anything but will keep you posted! :)
You will get it soon :) any expedition due to the benefit of the US government is acceptable:) that’s the only expedite they accept when it comes to the i-485

Hi Maryam, do you mind saying what kind of work you do?

chemotherapy for cancer patients and clinical trials of new potential cancer

chemotherapy for cancer patients and clinical trials of new potential cancer medications
I worked for pentagon contractor after 911 for 7 years, I was also on a good post as site lead, they do a rigorous back ground check before hiring for such jobs, but still my case went on hold and to make the matter worse it's on hold for TRIG, sadly they connected me with a group that I had no association with, and since 2009 I have been inquiring I also did info pass appointment with adjudication supervisor but USCIS refrains to tell me how did they connect me with that group, this also includes my i485 interview where the officer could not even clarify upon asking, sadly I have spent more than half of my life in USA (32years) with clean record and still they put me in for this rubbish, this lengthy period also includes my education in the USA.
Not trying to confuse you, I am just sharing my thoughts on how unpredictable USCIS can be.

Last edited:
I worked for pentagon contractor after 911 for 7 years, I was also on a good post as site lead, they do a rigorous back ground check before hiring for such jobs, but still my case went on hold and to make the matter worse it's on hold for TRIG, sadly they connected me with a group that I had no association with, and since 2009 I have been inquiring I also did info pass appointment with adjudication supervisor but USCIS refrains to tell me how did they connect me with that group, this also includes my i485 interview where the officer could not even clarify upon asking, sadly I have spent more than half of my life in USA (32years) with clean record and still they put me in for this rubbish, this lengthy period also includes my education in the USA.
Not trying to confuse you, I am just sharing my thoughts on how unpredictable USCIS can be.
Your previous job was important how Is possible to not give it to you!? That job who describes before you that's not important job he just got lucky.

Your previous job was important how Is possible to not give it to you!? That job who describes before you that's not important job he just got lucky.
It's very hard to predict about USCIS, if rightly or wrongly any negative information/s comes in your profile the case gets stucked in the pipeline forever to clear because no one wants to risk any benefit by mistake. If you are in smooth sailing then you will get all the considerations. Thier investigation is very weak with all anecdotal process. I'd rather support the process in checking all risky cases with diligence first for national security and adjudicate rather destroy the families who already suffered persecution due to hold.

It's very hard to predict about USCIS, if rightly or wrongly any negative information/s comes in your profile the case gets stucked in the pipeline forever to clear because no one wants to risk any benefit by mistake. If you are in smooth sailing then you will get all the considerations. Thier investigation is very weak with all anecdotal process. I'd rather support the process in checking all risky cases with diligence first for national security and adjudicate rather destroy the families who already suffered persecution due to hold.

Thanks for the insight, and yes definitely the USCIS is very unpredictable.
We gotta do whatever we can tho and I got very lucky I guess :)
good luck to you!

Hi Maryam, do you mind saying what kind of work you do?
Hey, can I know where is the information about

“expedite request based on government interest as my work is beneficial for US public safety”

I’m currently working for local law enforcement, that’s would really help me out,

Thank you so much for your time!

Hey, can I know where is the information about

“expedite request based on government interest as my work is beneficial for US public safety”

I’m currently working for local law enforcement, that’s would really help me out,

Thank you so much for your time!
It seems like you're misinterpreting the circumstances. Why would the US government rush your GC process? Whether you're employed by law enforcement or any other sector, expediting your GC process can be advantageous if it prevents you from performing certain tasks, hinders your promotion, or if you require the GC's expertise for a particular job. However, working solely within a federal agency doesn't mean that USCIS will expedite your GC process. The reality is far from this expectation!

You don't have any idea what you talking about,working as a federal employee you should be us citizen cannot be immigrant with green card or asylee,local law enforcement is not federal job is city or state job.

You don't have any idea what you talking about,working as a federal employee you should be us citizen cannot be immigrant with green card or asylee,local law enforcement is not federal job is city or state job.
I have never worked as a federal employee, I just worked for the contractor with engineering projects. I have never worked for local law enforcement.

looks like he mixed up your post with this one works for the government.
So I went to see the advocate who spent good half hour, he went through most of the important documents and told me that for my case (TRIG) mandamus is not recommended (unlike the other 4 attorneys who recommended me for mandamus) so far I am out by $975 in just legal advices, where every one comes up with different conclusions, the good thing is he was well aware of TRIG and also told me that the officer who interviewed me was low ranking officer who was given questions to ask me and she couldn't tell me any thing regarding my question that I asked her about how did USCIS connected me with the wrong group.
He said the best bet is congressman and followup with USCIS, they (USCIS) can do anything they want, even after living legally in USA for 32 years, rather risk approval for troubled case they can deny and court has no authority over thier decisions but only to give judgement for reasonable time to give decision, if denied with mandamus and then court followup it will cost between 40k to 50k and the results are not consistent after mandamus denials, regarding ICE attorneys he said USCIS will not worry about it in TRIG how ever I may end up bad but after my wife gets a citizenship I will be entitled for waiver, I didn't argue with him but on my way home I told my wife I will never ask for waiver because I have no link with the group they connected me, waiver is like admissions of guilt without being guilty just for greencard I can not damage my conduct.

So I went to see the advocate who spent good half hour, he went through most of the important documents and told me that for my case (TRIG) mandamus is not recommended (unlike the other 4 attorneys who recommended me for mandamus) so far I am out by $975 in just legal advices, where every one comes up with different conclusions, the good thing is he was well aware of TRIG and also told me that the officer who interviewed me was low ranking officer who was given questions to ask me and she couldn't tell me any thing regarding my question that I asked her about how did USCIS connected me with the wrong group.
He said the best bet is congressman and followup with USCIS, they (USCIS) can do anything they want, even after living legally in USA for 32 years, rather risk approval for troubled case they can deny and court has no authority over thier decisions but only to give judgement for reasonable time to give decision, if denied with mandamus and then court followup it will cost between 40k to 50k and the results are not consistent after mandamus denials, regarding ICE attorneys he said USCIS will not worry about it in TRIG how ever I may end up bad but after my wife gets a citizenship I will be entitled for waiver, I didn't argue with him but on my way home I told my wife I will never ask for waiver because I have no link with the group they connected me, waiver is like admissions of guilt without being guilty just for greencard I can not damage my conduct.
wish you all the best man!!! they turned your life into hell!!!! that's really sad

Two things. Why would you listen to one lawyer and not four? Second, your wife can sponsor you when she becomes a citizen, so you may want to wait for that.

Two things. Why would you listen to one lawyer and not four? Second, your wife can sponsor you when she becomes a citizen, so you may want to wait for that.
1. The first lawyer just pulled 212a3b online and gave me info that I, you or any one here can get, she said she has no idea what it is, the second lawyer on my time started googling and said I have to study your case and get back to you but never did, the third one argued that to begin with my asylum was never approved and the forth one was laughing when I told her what the third one was telling me but she said you were approved in 1998 and this is just a standard paragraph on all asylum letters but she had no clue on TRIG and they are all claiming to be the best in town on thier websites, how can I hire an attorney who can not even understand my case so then the consultation fees goes down the drain, when asking for an appointment they don't answer if the attorney knows about the TRIG but only info they give is when can you come in we don't discuss cases over the phone and attorney is busy etc. etc.
2. True but I still need a waiver for TRIG, with her sponsorship.

I don’t want ti shock you but most likely his wife will face issues cause her husband is connected to a TRIG !! On citizenship interview all of these things will show up that might be forgotten or not put under the microscope at the i-485 process so he needs to even fix this TRIGG issue before his wife goes to the N-400 journey

I don’t want ti shock you but most likely his wife will face issues cause her husband is connected to a TRIG !! On citizenship interview all of these things will show up that might be forgotten or not put under the microscope at the i-485 process so he needs to even fix this TRIGG issue before his wife goes to the N-400 journey
I did ask this question to the advocate, since we got married in USA and my wife is not connected with my asylum and her father sponsored her who was a USA citizen besides other grounds she will not have a problem, she had her greencard renewed after it expired (10 years) in 2020 with no issue however he told me that N400 is more detailed. I know some people on forums that had no issues for thier spouses and some had depending upon when was the marriage, was it during the process of visa or after the visa is what matters. I met my wife in USA and I have been in USA since 1993 she arrived in 2010, let's hope there will not be an issue.