Post- S 1932/HR 4241 Reconcilation Efforts

Now I feel guilty

Guys....

After readng the last to posts...I am feeling a bit guilty.....if this bill did not have the immigration provisions...i would have blasted the Bill for not supporting child care and medicare while spending billions on a war that was started for the wrong reasons and with the wrong motivations....how much does green card blind us....

However, I will repent for the pangs of my conscience later by doing some volunteering or donating for the right cause.....the way I see it is that USCIS is making life difficult for us with these interminable waits and with no political representation or an organized front we are forced to embrace these bills...to assuage my conscience......I can say that if the immigration provisions are passed....there may be some concessions to the child care and medicare that they can afford with the dollars that the immigration provisions will bring in....

Sanotsh

$$$$$ spekas louder and better than any thing, they should turn the eye and start thinking that there is big and real money. We are working for americans for enought time and every one by this time we know money is the one thing that matters.
These guys went to Iraq for oil. there is no question of sympathy or begging or bargaining from their views, just $$$$$$$$$$$$$,
throw a big bait and draft a letter and send to the committee members. This is the only option left for us nothing else left. No one (American) never cares if you die or alive, they want F--------- Money.
excuse me the language. By throwing this option, we are not going to loose any thing except money(but we gain peace of mind as per Rajiv)
Think big why they should give green card for you, if you are legal, tax paying and law abiding another humanbeing, ( to make an immigrant happy and change the jobs)
I would recommend to draft a letter with big money numbers, and inturn that can benefit the budget deficit and raise the money and not to mention the benefits for you by changing jobs or spouse can work...

are those guys in the conference ??

Canadian , where did u see them onthe Conference list ??
1. Tancredo
2. Lamar Smith
3. Hostettler

Canadian_Dream said:
In my opinion the biggest obstacles to S.1932 Section 8001 and 8002 becoming law are:
1. Tancredo
2. Lamar Smith
3. Hostettler

All have publicly stated that if 8001/8002 is added in the bill they WILL vote against it. All of them have voted in favor to get 217-215 Majority for HR4241.
It is rare for a politician to vote against their public stated view. I think 8001/8002 could be dropped (or traded) during conference in order to get the bill through the house and becoming law or worst bill itself could be defeated in the House. Another obstacle could ANWR Oil Drilling proposition.

I wonder if there is anything that could be done about these issues.

http://tancredo.house.gov/press/pressers/1026SenatePlansToSellVisasToFixBudgetWoes.htm

Any proposals how to cut through these imminent obstacles

Did my share....

I called the following 39 members of the House budget Committee and left the enclosed message on their voice mails. I took me 1hr and 12 mins.

http://clerk.house.gov/committee/in...l?comcode=HBU00

Republican & Democrat
1. Jim Nussle, IA, Chairman
2. Jim Ryun, KS
3. Ander Crenshaw, FL
4. Adam H. Putnam, FL
5. Roger F. Wicker, MS
6. Kenny C. Hulshof, MO
7. Jo Bonner, AL
8. Scott Garrett, NJ
9. J. Gresham Barrett, SC
10. Thaddeus G. McCotter, MI
11. Mario Diaz-Balart, FL
12. Jeb Hensarling, TX
13. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, FL
14. Daniel E. Lungren, CA
15. Pete Sessions, TX
16. Paul Ryan, WI
17. Michael K. Simpson, ID
18. Jeb Bradley, NH
19. Patrick T. McHenry, NC
20. Connie Mack, FL
21. K. Michael Conaway, TX
22. Chris Chocola, IN

1. John M. Spratt Jr., SC
2. Dennis Moore, KS
3. Richard E. Neal, MA
4. Rosa L. DeLauro, CT
5. Chet Edwards, TX
6. Harold E. Ford Jr., TN
7. Lois Capps, CA
8. Brian Baird, WA
9. Jim Cooper, TN
10. Artur Davis, AL
11. William J. Jefferson, LA
12. Thomas H. Allen, ME
13. Ed Case, HI
14. Cynthia McKinney, GA
15. Henry Cuellar, TX
16. Allyson Y. Schwartz, PA
17. Ron Kind, WI

"I request your support of Section 8001 in the Senate bill S 1932 which serves to increase federal government revenue by recapture of unused employment based permanent residence numbers in 2006. This senate bill had passed with great bipartisan support with a vote of 85-14. The house recently passed HR 4241 but without a similar provision. These 2 bills will be reconciled at a House / Senate Conference Committee meeting soon. I urge you to support the inclusion of Section 8001 of S 1932 in the final version to be submiited to the President

Please note that the provisions in Section 8001 would recapture unused permanent residence numbers which were already approved in past years but were not utilized due to administrative inefficiency by the former INS and now USCIS. Section 8001 benefits legal aliens who are already in the US for the past 4 - 6 years. These beneficiaries are hardworking tax payers who have already been certified by the US department of labor as highly-skilled workers who will not be displacing existing American workers in the market but meeting the need of American industry - especially the health care and IT sectors.

Support of Section 8001 is a win-win situation for all. The government benefits from increased revenue. The American industry will maintain its competitive edge. Health care sector can retain alien nurses and physicians already employed here in the US. The legal aliens in the US can gain permanent residence in a timely fashion and continue to contribute to American society.

I look for ward to your support of Section 8001 of Senate bill S 1932 at the Conference committee meeting."
Rog

GOP are gearing up smoothen up for critical differences to keep alive the bill. 8001 or immigration relief are not even in picture. I am not sure they will be able to work out major differences to save the bill.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051119...MqyFz4D;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Canadian_Dream said:
I don't know if they are in the conference or not. But they were the crucial votes to get HR 4241 passed with slim majority. (217-215)
I think GOP leadership will try do everything to pass the deficit reduction bill as it is President's one of the top priority. Now my concern is if there are certain clauses that could lead to the defeat of entire bill the conference will either drop it or trade it with some other difference with the Senate. Senate although strongly supports 8001/8002 might agree to drop it if it could lead to defeat of entire bill.

That's just my two cents.

Since we have two week time I think we should do following things:

1. We need some companies like Microsoft, Intel, CISCO and othe small and big companies to at least make a statement about the retrogression problem.

2. Get in touch with Senator Arlen (Number one person who had address Retrogression problem in Senate) and ask him to do something so that section 8001 is included in the final budget reconcilliation bill.

this is important piece of info (so far as the news regarding the lobbyists is cocncerned).
every bit of effort helps; but what the lobbyists are doing is having strong impact.

anyone knows\has any speculations regarding why this lobbyist did not introduce an amendment to the house version of the budget bill?
it could have been done at the committee level similar to what was done at the senate level.
does this lobby think it will be easier to sneak this clause in the senate-house conference committee?

Canadian_Dream said:
These sections (8001 and 8002) as pointed by some web sites came after intense lobbying by corporations and American Hospital Associations.

"Microsoft is once again running the show up there. The whole plan came from a Microsoft lobbyist whose colleagues are overpowering all the House and Senate leaders this week demanding that the tripling (maybe quadrupling) of employment-based green cards and H-1Bs goes through!"

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/11/2/135209.shtml

Also there is a clear divide here Corporations want more H1B while some influential individuals (Bill Gates, Craig Barett etc) and health care organizations want more Green Cards to maintian US compititive edge. Final version of bill thus have both.

Also there is a clear division (here in this board and elsewhere) whether the main purpose of this clause is to provide the budget relief or immigration (worker shortage) relief. Some websites have pointed that immigration is piggy backed over Budget Bill while most think that it help both.

JANHK said:
santosh_30, I liked your meesage.

I just need the green card....don't care. For the purpose of GC I end up supporting HR 4241 and other related bills, which shows total fiscal irresponsibility. The more I understand Repulication values, I tend to support them....but not these bills and this war.

What makes U feel that HR 4241 will give U a GC and retrogressed with PD after 2002.

If U are not retrogressed -- U have noting to worry about.

Any ideas what this website msg means ??????????

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:SN01932:@@@X

S.1932
Title: An original bill to provide for reconciliation pursuant to section 202(a) of the concurrent resolution on the budget for fiscal year 2006 (H. Con. Res. 95).
Sponsor: Sen Gregg, Judd [NH] (introduced 10/27/2005) Cosponsors (None)
Related Bills: H.R.4241
Latest Major Action: 11/18/2005 Passed/agreed to in House. Status: On passage Passed without objection. :rolleyes:

More action still needed

BTW, another 2 or 3 weeks of intense effort is still required according to Attorney Oh who hosts http://www.immigration-law.com

Here is what he said "Because of the differences between the two bills, S. 1932 is expected to the Conference Committee after the Congress returns to the session the second week in December 2005. This means that the businesses, academic community, and immigrant community should focus on the House-Senate conference committee to resolve differences between the S. 1932 as passed by the Senate and the S.1932 as amended by the House. H.R. 4241 which was passed that night is merged into S. 1932 and out of the picture hereon. The Senators and the House members have returned to your community for the next two weeks and it is a golden opportunity for the supports of the original S. 1932 to contact their Congressional delegations in their community during this holiday season. The House Speaker and the GOP majority whips in the Senate and House will play an important role in the conference process."

Again, if you would like help out and/or not sure how this affects you and what you can to help. Please go to http://www.immigration-law.com and look under heading "11/18/2005: House Passed H.R. 4241 by Vote 217-215 at 01:41 a.m. Today" and click on the "Read and help the immigration community's last minute effort"

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how much will the DOLLAR CONTRIBUTION form the immigration provisions in the bill? That number might be the biggest convincing factor for the Senators and for the committee. Can anyone calculate that?

THanks,

Santosh

santosh_30 said:
Does anyone know how much will the DOLLAR CONTRIBUTION form the immigration provisions in the bill? That number might be the biggest convincing factor for the Senators and for the committee. Can anyone calculate that?

THanks,

Santosh
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/68xx/doc6806/SenJudReco.pdf

SENATE PROPOSAL
CBO estimates that enacting this legislation would increase collections by $94 million in fiscal year 2006 and by $121 million in each year thereafter, assuming enactment by the end of calendar year 2005.
$500 Fee for Employment-Based Visas
"enacting the legislation would increase collections by $39 million in fiscal year 2006 and by $53 million annually thereafter."
$500 Fee for H-1B Visas
"we estimate that enacting the legislation would increase collections by $15 million annually over the 2006-2015 period.
$750 Fee for L-1 Visas
"We estimate that enacting H.R. 3648 would increase collections by $40 million in fiscal year 2006 and by $53 million annually thereafter."

Assumption - same number of people enter by L1 as specified in the CBO report.
HOUSE PROPOSAL
$1500 Fee for L-1 Visas
That puts the House suggested income at $(40*2)=$80 million in fiscal year 2006 and by $(53*2) = $106 million annually thereafter. The factor of 2 should account for the doubling from $750 to $1500 that the House proposed.

Sandeep

any updates on SENATE committee members

Hello everyone,

So far we know who is on the House committee. Do we know a similar list of ppl in the SENATE.

This is what i think.

1) Contacting Democrats is going to be completely USELESS. This is NOT an immigration bill, but part of a MUCH larger deficit reduction bill, which ALL Democrats JOINTLY oppose. Even if they sympathise with us, they WILL NOT vote for the passing of this bill.

2) I personally think we shud focuss on the SENATE REPUBLICAN MEMBERS. They are the ones who have had the foresight to put the immigration reforms in there in the First place.

3) I think contacting republican house members, is a double edged sword.
a) Advantage: We can inform them of these reforms.
b) Disadvantage: They may use these Immigration reforms as a Means to leverage their OWN agendas. That cud prove fatal for us. Lets say they negotiate a point saying, "we'll drop this if the senate committee drops the immigration reforms", then we are doomed.

4) We shud Wait for the final committee members to be announced and then contact members. Each one of us here shud write a PERSONALIZED letter to EACH OF the republican Senate members. Guys all this BULK FAXING, is NOT going to work. They are simply going to, either, trash that stuff Or write back with an auto-reply.

Guys pls lets EACH form our own letter and then WAIT for the final committee members to be announced.

Thoughts anyone?

Please see the following excerpt.

"There is no set number of conferees. The size of each conference delegation varies depending on how many committees were involved in reporting the measure in question. Conference committees have grown steadily in size over the last decade as legislation has become more complex and committee jurisdictions have overlapped. Given the obvious size difference between the chambers, the House always has more conferees than the Senate. However, because each chamber's delegation may vote only as a unit, the two delegations have equal weight at the table, regardless of size. "

http://www.c-span.org/questions/weekly70.asp

Basically the committee members from the House side will be larger than form the Senate side but each side gets to vote as only one unit. So even though Senate members in the committee will be fewer, their vote will have equal weight as House.

Now, the Byrd amendment was defeated by 85-14 in the Senate. These 85 Senators are our “friends”. We should find out who they are and who out of them will be on the committee and then focus on them. We should also pray that none of the 14 will be on the committee and if they are we should try to change their mind and win their heart.

I hope that the Senate Chairman chooses the committee members in the same ratio as 85-14 vote on Byrd. I guess we are too puny to request the Senate Chairman to balance the committee so it is representative of the vote on Byrd amendment. But maybe the tech lobbyist can??

Anyone here has more details on the 85-14 vote?

Also, as someone pointed out, there is a danger that the House committee members will try to use the immigration clauses as the “bargaining chip” to get some other concession from the Senate. We should try all we can so that the Senate committee does not sell us out. And our letters will make a big difference here.

Someone pointed out that it is useless in contacting House Democrats since they will oppose the various cuts in the Bill. However, I dont think so for the following reasons:
a) THey are not opposed to immigration in general
b) They woudl be willing to consider any alternative that will bring in revenue and possibly remove one of the proposed child care, medicare cuts in lieu of that. If they are aware of the immigrations clauses and they revenues they will bring in, they may ask the Senate to consider removing the cuts if they want the immigration clauses to be included. It might work in our favor since the Senate and House will both look good if they reduce/remove one of the proposed cuts.

Thses are my humble comments.

Santosh

thanks

Thanks for the clarification and the article. Going thru it now.

Just to clarify my stance on contacting Democrats. The thing is, they are PRETTY united in their vote. ALL 215 Democrats present in the house voted unanimously. But in light of this new evidence, it seems that Reaching out to the Democrats may not be such a bad idea after all. Personally i still think it is Best to focuss ALL our energies on the Senate Republicans.

Can someone clarify how this Senate-House thing works? I mean u said that the senate combined has one vote and the house combined has one vote. So then the senate first takes a vote within it's sub committee (D/R) and then the house sub-committee (Dems/Reps) takes a vote and then the final thing is put to Vote?

1 agree 110%. Thanks

santosh_30 said:
Someone pointed out that it is useless in contacting House Democrats since they will oppose the various cuts in the Bill. However, I dont think so for the following reasons:
a) THey are not opposed to immigration in general
b) They woudl be willing to consider any alternative that will bring in revenue and possibly remove one of the proposed child care, medicare cuts in lieu of that. If they are aware of the immigrations clauses and they revenues they will bring in, they may ask the Senate to consider removing the cuts if they want the immigration clauses to be included. It might work in our favor since the Senate and House will both look good if they reduce/remove one of the proposed cuts.

Thses are my humble comments.

Santosh

Even if the Democrats vote against the final bill, the Democrat members of the conference committee might be instrumental in getting the Immigration amendment added to the bill. So we should continue faxing/phoning the democrats also. Till such a time that we know the members of the conference committee, we should contact the members of the House Budget Committee.

nozdam said:

Just to clarify my stance on contacting Democrats. The thing is, they are PRETTY united in their vote. ALL 215 Democrats present in the house voted unanimously. But in light of this new evidence, it seems that Reaching out to the Democrats may not be such a bad idea after all. Personally i still think it is Best to focuss ALL our energies on the Senate Republicans.

Can someone clarify how this Senate-House thing works? I mean u said that the senate combined has one vote and the house combined has one vote. So then the senate first takes a vote within it's sub committee (D/R) and then the house sub-committee (Dems/Reps) takes a vote and then the final thing is put to Vote?

Could somebody here please give a guesstimate as to how long it will take for 8001 to become law? I know we are waiting for the conference committee to reconcile the bills first. When is the conference committee going to come back to work on Capital Hill? Next week? After that, how long will it take for them to make a finalized bill?

I am trying to decide if I should go for perm or wait for my pathetic RIR from Philly BEC. If 8001 does become law, I will go for perm and take advantage of filing 485 (yes, I am fed up with my job! By the way, after getting EAD, does one still have to work in a similar field to the one he filed for LC?); if it does not, maybe I should stick with RIR in order to keep my PD.

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
nozdam said:

I agree! I was quite surprised by Byrd's ammendment but he doesn't represent the dems community and their views reg immigration in general. And btw, theres no harm as such in contacting them.

So, pls. continue your efforts!

just a suggestion... do not take the perm decision based on this bill.
an approved labor is always a good idea as it will allow you to file i140 and once i140 is approved, the pd is yours as the rules stand today.

now regarding your next question. be very careful. check oh's website regarding making up your mind abt leaving ur present employer and then filing labor and 140\485 with them. if the employer proves that someone had made up their mind already in this regard, they could be in big trouble. there's a precedent decision in this regard very recently.
rosatiamo said:
Could somebody here please give a guesstimate as to how long it will take for 8001 to become law? I know we are waiting for the conference committee to reconcile the bills first. When is the conference committee going to come back to work on Capital Hill? Next week? After that, how long will it take for them to make a finalized bill?

I am trying to decide if I should go for perm or wait for my pathetic RIR from Philly BEC. If 8001 does become law, I will go for perm and take advantage of filing 485 (yes, I am fed up with my job! By the way, after getting EAD, does one still have to work in a similar field to the one he filed for LC?); if it does not, maybe I should stick with RIR in order to keep my PD.

Thanks for your advice!