Post- S 1932/HR 4241 Reconcilation Efforts

Has anyone heard this?

I spoke with a lawyer who said it is usually unlikely that house will change the proposals passed by the senate and vice versa. Usually the bill that is presented to the president has all of the points that were passed by house and the senate. It doesn't mean that house or senate never changes or drops some proposals in each others bill but usually it is unlikely. Has anyone else heard this?

surf_smarter said:
I spoke with a lawyer who said it is usually unlikely that house will change the proposals passed by the senate and vice versa. Usually the bill that is presented to the president has all of the points that were passed by house and the senate. It doesn't mean that house or senate never changes or drops some proposals in each others bill but usually it is unlikely. Has anyone else heard this?

Well. It is very exciting to hear that. But I think he is wrong.

hi all,

just found out that my position may be eliminated soon, so i am trying to figure out a back up plan in case i get laid off.

could you please let me know where i can read about the rules that say the PD is mine to keep after 140 approval? i would like to know what options are.

also if laid off, can i apply to another compan although i haven't filed for 485? if yes, does the job has to be the same as stated in my LC?

if laid off, how long do i have to find another job without being out of status?

thanks in advance for any info/guidance/clarfications!!!

--ps: sorry for posting this in this thread as the discussion is on the bill and reconcillation effort.

tusharvk said:
an approved labor is always a good idea as it will allow you to file i140 and once i140 is approved, the pd is yours as the rules stand today.

iameddie2005 said:
BTW, another 2 or 3 weeks of intense effort is still required according to Attorney Oh who hosts http://www.immigration-law.com

Here is what he said "Because of the differences between the two bills, S. 1932 is expected to the Conference Committee after the Congress returns to the session the second week in December 2005. This means that the businesses, academic community, and immigrant community should focus on the House-Senate conference committee to resolve differences between the S. 1932 as passed by the Senate and the S.1932 as amended by the House. H.R. 4241 which was passed that night is merged into S. 1932 and out of the picture hereon. The Senators and the House members have returned to your community for the next two weeks and it is a golden opportunity for the supports of the original S. 1932 to contact their Congressional delegations in their community during this holiday season. The House Speaker and the GOP majority whips in the Senate and House will play an important role in the conference process."

Again, if you would like help out and/or not sure how this affects you and what you can to help. Please go to http://www.immigration-law.com and look under heading "11/18/2005: House Passed H.R. 4241 by Vote 217-215 at 01:41 a.m. Today" and click on the "Read and help the immigration community's last minute effort"

If you haven't signed up already, you can also sign up for the following forum. If you have already signed up for it, please spread the words.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/techworkers1

Response

Here is the response I got from my congressman Gene Green, 29th District Texas.

'Thank you for contacting our office regarding immigration reform and the impact it may have on our employment rate and our community. I appreciate your taking the time to contact us on this issue.
The unemployment rate in TX is above the national average. Our economy is weak and that is why I do not support any work visa program unless we are guaranteed that Americal workers have a chance to get those jobs before we give them to foreign workers. I will not vote for any legislation that increasses the number of foreign work visas when so many of our neighbours need to find work.
Again thank you for contacting us on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact our office if we can be of further assistance'.

Like many other congressmen, he also clearly doesn't understand the diference between Retrogression relief and H1B (workers visa). I also get a feeling that he is not pro-immigrant. Hope that people like these won't sit in the conference committe. I am planning to fax him explaining that I am asking him to support the EB retrogressin relief for people who are already in the jobs and it's not about work visa increase. Do you think explaining these people makes a difference or they have already made up their mind not to support any immigration clauses in the Budget Bill.

Good Idea to fax a letter explaining the difference between work visa and legal immigration. If possible talk to him on phone or meet personally.

Congressional Contact Assistance

Everyone is getting ready to reunite with the family members and close relatives during the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend. So are the Congressional delegates (Senators and Representatives of the House). Businesses, no matter how small or large, and other profit and nonprofit corporate entities should spare their time to contact the Congressional delegates either via fax or via e-mail. AILA will provide links ( fax or e-mail) to these contacts to assist the corporate America. CompeteAmerica.Org provides abundance of materials to prepare your support letters. If you are small entities, http://isnamerica.org/ will provide such access to the Congressional delegates via fax.

Explain him that
- this is employment based "Green cards" (recapturing EB Visas) which were already APPROVED by US Congress in past but NEVER USED due to USCIS inertia.
- Most of us are already working for US companies since 5 years.
- Department of Labor has already certified that no US worker is available for this specialized job as it has been proved by enough efforts to recruit US citizen but were unsuccessful.
- If these jobs remain unfulfilled, either US comapanies will outsource job to overseas to remain competitive in today's global economy.
- We are highly educated, skill professionals who entered LEGAL in this country and are tax-paying, law abiding.
- So it is very important to process these LEGAL alians "Green card" so jobs remain in US permanently and US Govt get FREE $$ for Budget deficit.

raghuanu said:
Here is the response I got from my congressman Gene Green, 29th District Texas.

'Thank you for contacting our office regarding immigration reform and the impact it may have on our employment rate and our community. I appreciate your taking the time to contact us on this issue.
The unemployment rate in TX is above the national average. Our economy is weak and that is why I do not support any work visa program unless we are guaranteed that Americal workers have a chance to get those jobs before we give them to foreign workers. I will not vote for any legislation that increasses the number of foreign work visas when so many of our neighbours need to find work.
Again thank you for contacting us on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact our office if we can be of further assistance'.

Like many other congressmen, he also clearly doesn't understand the diference between Retrogression relief and H1B (workers visa). I also get a feeling that he is not pro-immigrant. Hope that people like these won't sit in the conference committe. I am planning to fax him explaining that I am asking him to support the EB retrogressin relief for people who are already in the jobs and it's not about work visa increase. Do you think explaining these people makes a difference or they have already made up their mind not to support any immigration clauses in the Budget Bill.

foret1 said:
hi all,

just found out that my position may be eliminated soon, so i am trying to figure out a back up plan in case i get laid off.

could you please let me know where i can read about the rules that say the PD is mine to keep after 140 approval? i would like to know what options are.

also if laid off, can i apply to another compan although i haven't filed for 485? if yes, does the job has to be the same as stated in my LC?

if laid off, how long do i have to find another job without being out of status?

thanks in advance for any info/guidance/clarfications!!!

--ps: sorry for posting this in this thread as the discussion is on the bill and reconcillation effort.

Once your 140 is approved, PD is yours to keep. Go to www.immigration-law.com Q/A section and it will clarify this.

Again, the new job can be different. It doesn not even have to be in the same EB category. If you have EB3 approved 140, the new job labor can be EB2 if you qualify and still retain old PD.

It is better to find a new job when you are still in this one. Once you are laid off, there is no clear rule about how long you are in status when the company does NOT cancel your H-1. If the company cancels H-1, you are immediately out of status.

Hope this helps.

thank you very much !!!

if the new job can be different and i can file under eb2 while retaining the pd, then that would be just awesome!!!

ACS_78 said:
Once your 140 is approved, PD is yours to keep. Go to www.immigration-law.com Q/A section and it will clarify this.

Again, the new job can be different. It doesn not even have to be in the same EB category. If you have EB3 approved 140, the new job labor can be EB2 if you qualify and still retain old PD.

It is better to find a new job when you are still in this one. Once you are laid off, there is no clear rule about how long you are in status when the company does NOT cancel your H-1. If the company cancels H-1, you are immediately out of status.

Hope this helps.