Poll on "Order of posts within a thread"

What do you think should be the order of a post within a thread?

• Latest post at top of the thread

Votes: 155 54.0%
  • Oldest post at top of the thread

Votes: 126 43.9%
  • Order does not matter

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let me tell you what's even more ridiculous than this new ordering: the fact that the change was made based on a poll which involved about .1% of claimed user base.

original (starting/first) post first

original (first/starting) post first.

I am also a webmaster, running a full fledged Bulletin Board on websites. Conventionally, in a Bulletin board, the recent post is placed at the top. But here in the legal world, the original post is most important. Without the original post, it is just impossible to follow why the recent post is there.

For a person who is follwing a forum everyday, it may be better to have the recent post at the top. I doubt, there are many who are following the forum everyday. Most of us come here, not regularly but irregularly, and check other posts if we need some info.
For this situation, i believe it is better to have the original (first) post at the top.

just my 2 cents worth.

Operations, can this be configured as a user settable option? My personnal preferance is oldest first, plainly because I am used to it. Also, its the most logical progression of speech (thread). Replies coming before questions does not make sense.

Oldest first

We need the context of a thread to follow what's going on and that only the oldest message can provide.

Please let the oldest be the first message on a thread

Thanks

PS - To Rajiv Khanna and his team- this is a wonderful service you guys provide. And the fact that you solicit the users' opinions is really great ! Keep up the good work!

I agree with jllag1.

ideally it should be the oldest first as pretty much every forum out there uses this convention, but its seems the poll is split right down the middle 50-50. So maybe it makes sense to have it as a user configured setting to make all your users happy.

Live and learn...

Well, I originally voted for latest at top thinking that it would be good for certain threads that I check on regularly, but having seen the result, I agree with the other posters that it is too confusing. So I hope that you will go back to the original order.