Poll on "Order of posts within a thread"

What do you think should be the order of a post within a thread?

• Latest post at top of the thread

Votes: 155 54.0%
  • Oldest post at top of the thread

Votes: 126 43.9%
  • Order does not matter

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rajiv S. Khanna

HOST, Immigration.Com
Staff member
Currently, the oldest post is displayed at the top of the thread. Would you like this to be reversed, i.e the latest post/message in a thread will be displayed at the top.

Please post your opinion and we will go with the majority from the poll.

I vote latest first. It is consistent with how the threads are displayed in the forum, and definitely saves browsing time. Thanks for asking ! :cool:

Nope

We would be able to follow the discussions of that thread only if it starts from oldest post as we would know what that post is all about.

Now it makes a difference if someone is daily going thru the post as to one who logs in occasionaly and wants some specific details right from the start.

My 2 cents.

Oldest at the top, please

Kind of hard to read a thread bottom up.

Change : Did not see that the reference was to posts in a thread. Corrected response accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
whoops voted incorrectly.

Did not read "within a thread"

I would like to change to oldest 1st.

Rajiv,

Going with latest first will break the whole concept of the thread. There is a huge difference in keeping latest threads up as compared to keeping the latest post on the top, since threads by nature have no direct co-relation to each other, while posts are very much dependent on each other.

The post by JoeF, was a great example of what would happen if the latest posts are posted first. This is a simple UI issue and you can check any of the other forums that abound the internet, the posts are always in a first in, first displayed manner. Besides the latest post is only one click away with the "last" page link. The effort is well worth keeping the logical progression of the thread intact.

A better way to deal with the problem of navigating a number of pages would be to spawn a new thread after the number of posts on the original thread cross a certain number. That way it doesn't become too tedious to read through all the prior posts.