Phoenix AZ - N-400 Timeline

Q's regarding N-400

Hi, guys.

I will be eligible to turn in my N-400 application (in Phx) in 3 months, and wanted to get a head-start - especially any documentation that needs to be provided upfront (than at the time of interview). Could you please advise - based on your knowledge?

1) What exactly is required from the IRS - year-wise Transcripts, or the returns themselves?

2) I had two incidents on my driving record - some 3-1/2 yrs. ago. I looked up the DMV website, and found that I could only find records for the last 39 months. Will that suffice - at the time of interview?

3) I am a divorcee - applying on the basis of 5-yr employment-based Green card. Is it enough to have just the Divorce decree, or is the marriage certificate too required?

Thanks very much for any assistance.

1) What exactly is required from the IRS - year-wise Transcripts, or the returns themselves?

IRS transcripts are usually only asked for if you are married, or if you need to provide proof of US residential ties due to extended trips. If this doesn't apply to you and still feel you need to bring them to interview, you can request transcripts from IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
2) I had two incidents on my driving record - some 3-1/2 yrs. ago. I looked up the DMV website, and found that I could only find records for the last 39 months. Will that suffice - at the time of interview?
Per N-400 instructions, there's no need to provide documentation for minor traffic tickets under $500. If your tickets were serious or more then $500 or if you feel you still want to bring documentation to interview, check with the court where the tickets were issued as they should have them as well as proof of payment on record.
3) I am a divorcee - applying on the basis of 5-yr employment-based Green card. Is it enough to have just the Divorce decree, or is the marriage certificate too required?

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Since you're no longer married, there wouldn't be any need for them to ask for marriage certificate that is no longer valid due to divorce. The divorce decree should be sufficient.

First of all, Thank you, BobSmyth

IRS transcripts are usually only asked for if you are married, or if you need to provide proof of US residential ties due to extended trips. If this doesn't apply to you and still feel you need to bring them to interview, you can request transcripts from IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
Per N-400 instructions, there's no need to provide documentation for minor traffic tickets under $500. If your tickets were serious or more then $500 or if you feel you still want to bring documentation to interview, check with the court where the tickets were issued as they should have them as well as proof of payment on record.

Since you're no longer married, there wouldn't be any need for them to ask for marriage certificate that is no longer valid due to divorce. The divorce decree should be sufficient.

1) So, if I understood correctly, "Transcripts" alone would do, I would not need IRS-certified copies of the returns, themselves?
Now, will these need to accompany the N-400 application? (I saw that some posts including on this forum suggested to that effect...)

2) Some more details on the Traffic-related incidents:
a) There was one incident where I was stopped - arrested and charged with "reckless driving". My car was impounded, I was held in jail until my presentation in court.
Moving forward, I hired an attorney - who did 'nothing' after being paid $3,500. However, with my own interest/follow-up, I was able to strike a deal w/o going to trial:
i) I plead to a lower charge of "being responsible for driving above the prudent speed". I was also informed that the matter would not be reported to DMV.
ii) I paid a fine of $350 (not knowing at the time that the amount of fine being paid, did/could matter)

b) Then, there was a 2nd (and final) incident within a month of the prior - which resulted in a citation/Tkt - which was addressed thru a Defensive Driving school course. (No fine resulted)

Could you please advise what will go with the N-400 application?

3) Could you please advise if the Divorce decree will go with the N-400 application?

Again, many many thanks for your kind replies.

1) So, if I understood correctly, "Transcripts" alone would do, I would not need IRS-certified copies of the returns, themselves?
Now, will these need to accompany the N-400 application? (I saw that some posts including on this forum suggested to that effect...)
Transcripts are accepted by USCIS. You can either include them with application or bring them to interview.
2) Some more details on the Traffic-related incidents:
a) There was one incident where I was stopped - arrested and charged with "reckless driving". My car was impounded, I was held in jail until my presentation in court.
Moving forward, I hired an attorney - who did 'nothing' after being paid $3,500. However, with my own interest/follow-up, I was able to strike a deal w/o going to trial:
i) I plead to a lower charge of "being responsible for driving above the prudent speed". I was also informed that the matter would not be reported to DMV.
ii) I paid a fine of $350 (not knowing at the time that the amount of fine being paid, did/could matter)

b) Then, there was a 2nd (and final) incident within a month of the prior - which resulted in a citation/Tkt - which was addressed thru a Defensive Driving school course. (No fine resulted)

Could you please advise what will go with the N-400 application?
Disclose both tickets on the application. For the imprudent speed case, obtain court documents for the arrest that show final charge and fine was payed. Either send this with application or bring it to interview. No need to obtain documentation for the minor citiation.
3) Could you please advise if the Divorce decree will go with the N-400 application?

Again, many many thanks for your kind replies.

Send it in with application or bring it to interview. I would suggest you send a copy with application and bring original to interview to reduce chances of USCIS misplacing original.

All,

Finally received the OL for my wife and I. It is scheduled on 8th May 2009

Regards

Rox

Phoenix D/O
NBC*000022XXX
12/26/08 Mailed N400 Application
12/29/08 Priority Date
1/3/09 Received Receipt Notice
1/6/09 Cashed Check
1/9/09 Received Fingerprint Notice
1/13/09 Fingerprint Completed
2/21/09 Interview Notice Letter
4/10/09 Interview Date-completed and recommended for approval
4/24/09 Oath Letter Recieved
5/8/09 scheduled for Oath Taking Ceremony

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent in my N-400 form on the 16th of this month. Just wondering when I will get some kind of notice from USCIS that the wheels are in motion..

Phx_Girl,

Thanks for the information. My Oath was completed on April 24th. Some details below:

* My Oath time was 12:30 at 401 W Washington St. Parked my car in the Parking structure East of the Courthouse. Cost was $2 for every 30 min. It was a very convenient location.

* Stood in line on the second floor ( looks like there wasn't much else going on)
* Relatives / friends are allowed in on the observation deck after a while.
* Make sure your Oath letter which has a form on the back is filled out. The official will take this and your green card at the entrance.
* There are packets kept on each seat containing:
* Social Security form for change of status - an official from SS gives everyone a pen and walks you through the form and takes questions if you have any.
* Voter Registration form - an official from Maricopa County walks you through this form
* Directions to the passport office at 601 W Jackson St
* Oath text
* A couple of booklets, with US Constitution and memento
* A US flag
* The presiding judge gave a brief but moving and motivating speech.
* Three out of the 102 people being naturalized also spoke. I did not know about this, but would encourage others to take this opportunity to say something. It is a memorable occasion.
* Ceremony was over by 2:15 or so. Stood in line for SS status change. This took 25 min.
* Headed over to Passport office. It took about an hour and a half to get the application form submitted and fees paid.
* That's it ....Now a US Citizen.....wooohoooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Application date : Nov 28
FP : Jan 7
Interview date : March 18
Oath : April 24
PP applied : April 24

Los Angeles

04/22/09 Mailed N-400 to AZ
04/30/09 Cashed Check
Priority Date
Rec'd Receipt Notice
Rec'd Fingerprint Notice
Fingerprint Date - Scheduled
Interview Notice Letter
Interview Date
Oath Letter Rec'd
Oath Ceremony

Congratulations, Kg!
Yes, you are welcomed to speak at the oath ceremony.
Several people spoke at ours. Until they finally stopped asking people to come up, many more wanted to do it.

Congrats, Brian. Lucky for you Phoenix DO is moving fast. You'll be getting your FP notice soon.

I have come to a bump on the road.
As I mentioned before, my husband updated his citizenship status at my oath ceremony. On Saturday he received his new SS card. I still have not gotten mine (name change). Today, I went to MVD for a routine matter and requested to change my name there too, since I was already there. Unfortunately, the lady told me that my name change is not yet verified at SS. She told me it takes 48 hrs. after making the change at SS for it show up on their data base – and it has to be verified at SS before MVD will do the change.
I'm hoping it's just a matter of time. I really don't want to go sit at SS for another 2 hrs., like I did today at MVD. The SS people did say the process would take about two weeks, but since my husband's has obviously already gone through, I was hoping mine was also completed. Oh, well. I'll wait until next week and then I'll try again.

And that’s my citizenship process update. :D

asdasd; how was your wife’s ceremony? Was hers in the afternoon, like kg’s?

My N400 is on the process. I'd like to know if the Phoenix DO allows my husband and my son to wait for me in the waiting room outside the interview room?

Yes, there was lots of seats. The IO asked if my husband was available and asked for him to attend the interview ;-)

My wives ceremony was also on 24th in the afternoon
It took a lot less time than mine(and Phxgirl) on 17th.

There were very few speakers on 24th. The judge did give a speech and also explained that all courts have to spend a particular amount on artwork. He want to explain that the roof of that particular courthouse was called the "LENS".

As soon as they started giving certificates, I went and stood in the line for SS. Hence when my wife did get her certificate, we were done in less than 5 minutes.

So - if you have somebody with you at the ceremony, ask them to go and stand in the line. This will save time and parking money. It will also save a lot of time at the passport office, as you will be one of the first ones in line there too.

Permanent Resiendent Since July 2004

Los Angeles

04/22/09 Mailed N-400 to AZ
04/30/09 Cashed Check
Priority Date
Rec'd Receipt Notice
Rec'd Fingerprint Notice
Fingerprint Date - Scheduled
Interview Notice Letter
Interview Date
Oath Letter Rec'd
Oath Ceremony

my interview is in PHX too next week. I've appointed a lawyer and will be present with me.
now after reading all your comments and experiences I'm thinking to call my lawyer and ask her not to come. will not ask her to refund the fee I've paid :)

Who are the IO in PHOENIX DO

I just want to know how the Phoenix IO... meaning are they strict or OK IOs. People who had interview in the phoenix DO please answer this question.
Thanks

sweetnat,

My wife and I had contrasting IO's

My wife had a young lady IO-really friendly-easy to work with
My IO was a elderly woman-fairly strict-always by the book-did not smile much and made you feel as if you were in a classroom with a strict teacher

If someone had a case that was a bit convoluted-it would be better to have a lawyer with her-my IO-I saw a gentlemen who had a lawyer-it took him an hour inside-mine was only fifteen minutes

Good luck

Rox