Philadelphia PA - N-400 Timeline

Philly DO is good.

Ravishankar P,
(1600 Callowhill) Philly DO is good. You can take your kids and wait in the waiting room. They are very courteous and generous. You can park your car on the roadside which has two hour meter and it will take a quarter for every 8 minutes.
Good luck.

any emergency dates given?

Hi All, My interview date was dec. 3, 2008 was put into the que for a oath ceremony date on Jan. 13th . I have flight arrangements on Feb. 15th want to change them. Is there anyone that got a date based on an emergency situation? Also how may times can you reschedule your oath ceremony? And How long can you stay out of the country or does it matter at this point?

Just received an Oath Letter for a March 5th ceremony in Wilmington, DE.

Interwied on Nov 4th in Philly
Had a name change request.

Hi all,
Had the interview today. Very smooth and fast. The IO asked for passport and GC. Verified all the info on the application. Asked about the traffic ticket and made a note - no big deal. Then he administered the test 10 questions. And everything was over in 10 minutes.

Thanks to everyone in this forum.

Regards
Ravi

Congrats

Congrats.

Can you elaborate on the traffic tickets. Did you disclose them? Did IO asked specifically about them?

Hi all,
Had the interview today. Very smooth and fast. The IO asked for passport and GC. Verified all the info on the application. Asked about the traffic ticket and made a note - no big deal. Then he administered the test 10 questions. And everything was over in 10 minutes.

Regards
Ravi

Rick92> Thank you. I can't wait, I already feel American in so many ways.

The next challenge will be to Adjust my husband's status.
How soon can he start working after we apply for I485 etc... note that he already has an approved I-130 since 2005.
He comes in/out on a B2 and he currently here on a I94 valid until June 09.

Thanks

Hi,
Yes - I answer on the application yes to that question and mentioned about the traffic ticket in the details. The IO asked if I remembered roughly what the amount of the ticket and if I paid it. And told the details and he made a note of them on the application. The IO did not go further than that. The IO was professional.

Ravi

Rick92> Thank you. I can't wait, I already feel American in so many ways.

The next challenge will be to Adjust my husband's status.
How soon can he start working after we apply for I485 etc... note that he already has an approved I-130 since 2005.
He comes in/out on a B2 and he currently here on a I94 valid until June 09.

Thanks

As soon as he gets the EAD approved which should take at the most 90 days.

Rick92> Is there a difference in the process (work eligibility) for someone who maries a US citizen vs someone married to a Permanent Resident who later becomes citizen?
Is it true that as soon as the I485 is filled and a receipt issued, the receipt can be used as proof to seek legal employment?

Don't you think that the EAD is really useless if you are applying to adjust anyway? I think they just bundled the whole thing to justify the exhorbitant fees. Just as they do for Asylee....once you are granted Asylum, your status gives you authorization to work, yet USCIS, lawyers etc... are still promoting the idea of EAD.

I had something sorta interesting occur. Last week I recieved my IL and on it was a the basic list of things to bring along for the interview. Yesterday I got a notice on a yellow piece of paper saying after careful review we would like you to bring additional documents. It only asked me to bring my Drivers liscence which is no big deal but I was kind of surprised by this notice. Any one with similar experience

Rick92> Is there a difference in the process (work eligibility) for someone who maries a US citizen vs someone married to a Permanent Resident who later becomes citizen?
Is it true that as soon as the I485 is filled and a receipt issued, the receipt can be used as proof to seek legal employment?

Don't you think that the EAD is really useless if you are applying to adjust anyway? I think they just bundled the whole thing to justify the exhorbitant fees. Just as they do for Asylee....once you are granted Asylum, your status gives you authorization to work, yet USCIS, lawyers etc... are still promoting the idea of EAD.

Yes, I believe so. For immigrants who are immediate relatives of US Citizens, this process is redundant, but because once you file the I-485 for adjustment, the process for conditional or permanent resident might take some time and you need proof as well to work, they have included the I-765 which is good until you get I-551 (green card) approved.

The process and differences between marrying a resident versus a citizen are considerable bcs your app gets first in line, provided of course the applicant tell USCIS that he/she is now married to a USC.- :D

Hi all,

Regards
Ravi

Hi Ravishankar,
Please update if you received oath letter. My wife and I attended interview and both passed in the first week of Feb at Philly DO. My wife's oath is scheduled for 27th and her letter came in exactly one week after the interview, whereas I did not receive it yet. I am confused and worried. The IO assured me that they will try to ensure that both of us have oath on the same day / time when it is scheduled.
Any inputs from the veterans welcome too.
Thanks & regards.

Unclassifiable Fingerprint - Waiting for Oath

Am I the only case!! where as my fingerprints turned out to be unclassifiable and after having passed interview waiting for oath, while spouse already got the citizenship oath scheduled? Has no one else had such experience earlier? I am getting really concerned!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Senators office found out that my case was approved on 2/10, i still haven't received my oath letter though.

I had my interview on december 3rd.

S.

Wait for oath date is over

Just received oath letter for March 19 at Philadelphia court house.

Time line for me and my spouse

06/02/08 - N400 Mailed
06/28/08 - Finger Printing done
11/24/08 - Interview passed, Recommended for Approval with Name change request.
01/27/09 - Info pass scheduled. Result: Case approved on 1/13, waiting for oath schedule
02/23/09 - Oath letter received, dated 02/17, mailed on 02/20
03/19/09 - Oath scheduled

Just received oath letter for March 19 at Philadelphia court house.

Time line for me and my spouse

06/02/08 - N400 Mailed
06/28/08 - Finger Printing done
11/24/08 - Interview passed, Recommended for Approval with Name change request.
01/27/09 - Info pass scheduled. Result: Case approved on 1/13, waiting for oath schedule
02/23/09 - Oath letter received, dated 02/17, mailed on 02/20
03/19/09 - Oath scheduled

So it took them 34 days to mail the oath letter? How crazy is that?

S.

Does anyone know how the name change requests are processed? Do they wait until the case is approved to process this?

Thanks,

S.