Philadelphia PA - N-400 Timeline

I am getting ready to read the N-400 "YES, NO" questions. Do I have to memorize all of the answers in the scenario below

do they ask about "What....mean? "questions?

Thanks everyone for helping me understand this.

Last edited by a moderator:
my friend is waiting since july and he is from DE
Many folks who had interview during last weeks of Aug are already citizen's, congratulations to all of them. Does any one from delaware received oath letter recently as mine and my wife's interview was completed in last two weeks of Aug but still waiting for Oath letter

I am getting ready to read the N-400 "YES, NO" questions. Do I have to memorize all of the answers in the scenario below
You can bring a copy of your N-400 and refer to the answers on it at interview.
Have you ever been declared Legally incompetent?
what does "Legally incompetent" mean?
It means if a court or judge has ever declared you to be mentally deranged.
Have you ever been arrested?
What does " arrested" mean?
Arrest means that the police has lawfully taken you into custody in relation to an investigation or crime.
Have you ever sold or smuggled illegal drugs,or narcotics?
What are illegal drugs or narcotics?

In the above scenario , do they ask about "What....mean? "questions?

Illegal drugs or narcotics are substances such as cocaine, marijuana, heroin that are illegal due to their harmful effects on society.
You are expected to answer if you sold or smuggled them, not to memorize the names of illegal drugs.

Thanks Bob!! sorry for my poor English make you mistake.

No one answer,I delede.

My interview experience on 10/13/2009 at Philadelphia office

My interview was at 2:20 PM, I showed up at the entrance at 1:50 PM, handed my appointment letter and took a seat. Around 3:50 PM officer showed and called another candidate, told me she is running little late asked me to wait.

Just before 4:00 PM, an USCIS person came to asked me what time is your interview, I told him @2:20 PM, he went inside and spoke to receptionist and came out told me office will be with me momentarily. In a minute or so receptionist told me the same and hung a placard saying “Office opens at 8:00…….” and left the place.

Around 4:05 PM that candidate came out immediately officer called me in. Once inside the room she asked me to raise my right hand and swear to speak truth.
After that she took my N-400 application from the case file and started going thru it.
- Asked for my GC and Passport.
- Verified my name.
- And asked me about my marriage status and number of kids.
- Asked me about my taxes.
- In the application I have mentioned about my speeding ticket. She took all the particulars like, on which road, city (I was not sure,
so I told her it happened in 2005 and I’m not sure) state, date, how much I paid as fine (for which didn’t have any proof).
Then she asked me is that’s all. I told her “Yes”. Immediately she took my case file and looked at yellow color sheet.
- Then she told me to say “Yes” or “No” for the questions she asks. She started asking me questions from N-400 application.
- Then she gave me quiz (that’s what she told for interview).
- Then she asked me to read a line. (“Where does President live?”)
- Then written part she asked me to write “The President lives in The White House.”
- Then she told me I passed my interview and she is approving my application, and asked me to sign on my photos and 2 places on the application.
- She congratulated me, I reciprocated by saying Thanks.
- She gave me a sheet with my A# and ticked Passed and offices name on it.
- Then she said I good to leave now.
- By the time I was about to leave it was around 4:20 PM, so I asked her will the front door be open. She told me rush before 4:30, door will be locked at 4:30 PM. So I came out of office around 4:25 PM. And raced toward my street side parked car.

While sitting with the officer, couple of things were going on my mind, one was about the front door and other was about parking meter. I parked my car
on the road, and those meters are for 2 hrs. @3:50 PM meter should have shown “expired”. And as expected I had Violation Envelope on my windshield, and time mentioned on the ticked was 3:52 PM. I just thought that officer just stood there till the meter showed expired with a joy he tore a plastic ticket, wrapped it in a envelope and placed it between my windshield and the wiper.:rolleyes:

This is how my interview went.

I would like to thank everyone in the forum for passing valuable information. It helped me alot to prepare my selves.

Apart from my naturalization total fees went up by $36(parking ticket), everything went fine. :)

Congratulations

Congratulations ShriAditi. You should have used the paid parking facilities, there are so many around the DO.

My interview was on the same day in the morning. I was called in about an hour and half late but the interview itself was done in 8 to 10 minutes. The officer (after I was sworn to tell the truth), went over the application real quick. I had a traffic ticket after sending in the N-400 application, so when I mentioned it, the officer added it on my application. He then asked me to read "What do we pay to the Government" and write "We pay taxes".
The civic questions were:
1. How many senetors are there? - 100
2. When must all men register for the selective service? - between age 18 and 26
3. When was the constitution written? - 1787
4. Name one problem that led to the civil war. - Slavery, economic reasons
5. Which ocean is on the east of US? - Atlantic
6. Name one state that borders Canada. - PA.

The officer then went over the last part of the application (Willing to take full oath, bear arms...etc). And then asked me to sign the application and on the two photographs. He gave me the "Congratulations, recommended for approval" letter.
It was a very pleasant experience at Philly DO.
Thanks to all of you on the forum for all the help in getting ready for the interview.

I had my interview scheduled at 9:40AM this morning. I reached there at 9:15 and by the time I parked my car (Parking Facility by 15th and Callowhill for $8) and passed security to the second floor it was 9:30AM. There were about 8 people in the room. I reviewed the questions one last time, and was called in aroundd 10:15AM. Raised my Right hand and swore to tell the truth. Then the officer went over my Name, address, last trip outside the country, and all the yes-no questions. Took out a paper with random questions and went thru all 10 of them, even though the first 6 were correct, writing down the answers as I spoke -

1) Name one branch or part of the government. - Congress
2) How many Justices in the supreme court - 9
3) What does the Constitution do - Defines the government
4) What did the Declaration of Independence do? - Announced our independence from Great Britain
5) When do we celebrate Independence Day? - July 4th
6) We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years? - 6
7) If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President? - the Speaker of the House
8) What does the President’s Cabinet do? - advises the President
9) What is the capital of your state? - Harrisburg
10) How old do citizens have to be to vote for President? 18 and older

Read - "When is columbus day"
Write - "columbus day is in October"

Office asked for joint documents with me and my wife, since the application was based on 3 year rule. - Provided bank account documents, Joint Tax transcripts, and Joint health insurance documents.
She quickly reviewed them, asked me to sign 2 photographs, two signatures on the application, and print my full name on the application.
Told me I was approved and would receive the oath letter in 3 weeks.
I was out by 10:30AM!

Hope to see the oath letter soon and best of luck to everyone else!

app too early denial

I had my interview scheduled at 9:40AM this morning. I reached there at 9:15 and by the time I parked my car (Parking Facility by 15th and Callowhill for $8) and passed security to the second floor it was 9:30AM. There were about 8 people in the room. I reviewed the questions one last time, and was called in aroundd 10:15AM. Raised my Right hand and swore to tell the truth. Then the officer went over my Name, address, last trip outside the country, and all the yes-no questions. Took out a paper with random questions and went thru all 10 of them, even though the first 6 were correct, writing down the answers as I spoke -

1) Name one branch or part of the government. - Congress
2) How many Justices in the supreme court - 9
3) What does the Constitution do - Defines the government
4) What did the Declaration of Independence do? - Announced our independence from Great Britain
5) When do we celebrate Independence Day? - July 4th
6) We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years? - 6
7) If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President? - the Speaker of the House
8) What does the President’s Cabinet do? - advises the President
9) What is the capital of your state? - Harrisburg
10) How old do citizens have to be to vote for President? 18 and older

Read - "When is columbus day"
Write - "columbus day is in October"

Office asked for joint documents with me and my wife, since the application was based on 3 year rule. - Provided bank account documents, Joint Tax transcripts, and Joint health insurance documents.
She quickly reviewed them, asked me to sign 2 photographs, two signatures on the application, and print my full name on the application.
Told me I was approved and would receive the oath letter in 3 weeks.
I was out by 10:30AM!

Congrats! Why did you get app too early denial? When did you get your green card?

NSC customer service Contact number

Hi,
I am checking to know if any one was able to speak to CR as the phone number given on the USCIS receipts 1-800-375-5283 is automated and couldn't connect to CR person, how to contact them?

VM

Delawarians Oath date??

I just called the Court house of delaware and found that they have the Oath cermenoy on Nov 5th, did any one from delaware receive Oath letter?? If yes then when did you receive it?

VM

I had my interview scheduled at 2:20PM this afternoon. I reached there at 1:30 and passed security to the second floor it was 1:40PM. There were about 2 people in the room. I was called in around 2:45PM. Raised my Right hand and swore to tell the truth. Then the officer went over my Name, address, last trip outside the country, and all the yes-no questions. Took out a paper with random questions and went thru all 6 (out of 10), when the first 6 were correct, she stopped asking questions.

She quickly reviewed the answers and asked me to sign 2 photographs, two signatures on the application, and print my full name on the application.
Told me I was approved and would receive the oath letter in 4 weeks.
I was out by 3:00PM!

SHE TOLD ME TO WRITE FULL MIDDLE NAME INSTEAD OF INITIAL. Actualy in my Green Card there is only middile Initial. I asked the officer about this then she told me that it is mandatory for "Naturalization Certificate".

So When I apply for US paassport Can I use Middile Initial instaed of Full Middle Initial ?

Did anyone know about this ?

Bobsmyth,

So when I am applying for US passport then I can print my Middle Initial instead of Full Middle Name printed in the naturalization certificate.

Bobsmyth,

So when I am applying for US passport then I can print my Middle Initial instead of Full Middle Name printed in the naturalization certificate.

You should use the signature you normally use. You can't just print middle name by itself on passport.