Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

This is funny. reading yesterdays post I was under the impression that they are processing Apr 2001 RIR and Apr 2002 TR(cases which made it to regional).
But looking at the approvals/rejections being posted here, it seems they are very well touching Dec 2002 PD RIR + Apr 2003 PD RIR.
Am I missing something ? I am just wondering how can be there such variance.

Thanks for your responses and links to the letters. The news paper is meeting few of us to document issues, please e-mail immigrationportal@hotmail.com if you would like to share any of your letters, information and even you can speak to the reporter.

Also we received a call from local representative and working on an appointment to discuss our issues and provide letter of authority to the senator to get our application details form DOL.

Thanks again.

rsiv said:
Hi

A national daily news reporter contacted me to cover our issues. Please contact me if you are inserted to share your problems with the reporter. The idea is to cover different issues impacting work, economy, life and publish the issues for wide audience. Please contact me at immigrationportal@hotmail.com

Some of these efforts will definitely help. I contacted my company and lawyer, they are happy to share information and also add few comments to stress the issues.

In case If you are not interested, please ignore this request and kindly do not start any -ve discussions on this topic.

chinglun said:
H1 is supposed to be temporary worker ...

I do not see the reason for the salary . And to apply for the LC/GreenCard, dont you need to meet the salary requirment ?
Yes. H1Bs are supposed to be temporary workers, but they are not required to be stuck with the same employer for so many years. However, due to the long time delay of the LC process, they couldn't change employers, so they are deprived of opportunity to move to positions with higher salary, thus put them in weak postion to negotiate their position negotiate their salary and benefit with their current employer. Since their empolyer know they won't be able to move to other other companies without losing their LC PD, the employer might take advantage of them by lower their annual salary increase or force them to take more workload.

Yes, the employer has to meet the salary requirment, so if it only took a few months to get the LC, it won't hurt the native workers. But let's say, you applied the LC in 2001 with 0 year experience and a master degree. but have to wait 5 years and finally get your LC in 2006, when you have 5 years experience. But your employer are only required to pay you at 2001 master degree with 0 year experience salary level, which is written on your LC application form.

Another issue is that they have to stay at the position that filed on the LC application firm or a position similiar to that one when they got their GC, so they are deprived of the opportunity of being promoted to a higher position. Thus, not only they can't get higher salary, but since they might be actually doing the work of that higher position with a lower title with lower payment, native worker also lost their opportunity to compete for that higher position with the prevailing salary level.

nk01 said:
This is funny. reading yesterdays post I was under the impression that they are processing Apr 2001 RIR and Apr 2002 TR(cases which made it to regional).
But looking at the approvals/rejections being posted here, it seems they are very well touching Dec 2002 PD RIR + Apr 2003 PD RIR.

nk01,
Where did you read that they are processing priority dates of Apr 2003? :)
My PD falls in Apr 2003.

I think Zlegion may be caught up in the 'forum shopping' clause - the gap between co HQ and filing location. Dozens of prior employees from the same company went scotfree before the over-zealous use of this clause. Zlegion and his company colleagues who filed around the same time might be caught up in this. I can think of only this issue that is common at the company level and not at the individual's level. The lawyer's statement of ALL apps liable to get denied does not point to layoffs in the prior months, unless of course ALL apps from Zlegion's company were for very similar job duties AND there were prior layoffs in that field.

But with the so-called BECs, 'forum shopping' clause should be dead as everyone now is queued up in single file and no life. And we thought only God works in mysterious ways!

I would support the statement to Zlegion to not take any hasty step. Wait for a NOF to understand what the real issue is, and then seek an alternative. A BEC-blessed transfer to PERM might allow you to keep your prior PD, in which case you might be in the US citizenship queue when we are still scrambling to file our I140/I485 only to find out we have been retrogressed for another 5 years :)

-Tikal

spidey said:
zlegion

What can you tell us about your company? Since this looks like it may be related to your company's geographical location OR fact that there were layoffs in the recent past for similar positions as yourself.... etc.

Your information may help those of us in similar circumstances to be more prepared.
I am sorry for your loss, although if your company refiles under PERM you may end up being a winner instead of loser (especially if you are now eligible for EB2 and your current application was not)

thanks -

juntha said:
Yu cannot imagine how easy it is to file yourself a H1b application / extension / 'transfert'. I did it myself and it didn t cost me a penny. Same for Labor cert and, now, PERM. And in every case, BCIS or DOL is happy to help yu out along the way.
I dont think attorney considers DOL as a golden egg hen. It s quite the oposite, more and more people rely on attorneys (which they often dont trust) because people dont want to bother. Without us, an attorney will have nothing to file. As long as some people will depends on them, they will charge whatever they want.
Let see those fees if we start to know how to handle those filings !

I agree with you views on Attorneys but

1. No applicant can file these papers only Employers and there Agents
2.When filed through Attorney DOL assumes all the papers are in order otherwise they will be reiviewing/audit
3.Any deniel/rebuttal/NOF/RFE Attorney have qualification and old case referrerals to back it up.
4.Attorneys are paid because they are Qualified and Not for filing papers.
5.The fees are supposed to be paid by Employer and not Employee

I am not a supporter of Attorney but i dont want to be Penny wise and Pound foolish especially when it is Carrier and GC matters. Select a good referred attorney and dont mind Pay more.

zlegion said:
I dont think there was anything wrong with the applications. Before the BEC we had got at least 50 labour certifications approved that were similar. So when the lawyer questioned them on that, they supposedly told him to refile under perm. I am not sure abt all the details as yet. My application was with Philly regional since oct 20 2003. It had gone thru supervised recruitment as it was non RIR. Dont know what went wrong. Anyways, hope u guys all have better luck than me.

Zelegion..don’t get depressed. Keep looking for options.

Rsiv -- I wrote this assignment as part of my Business Law class

The person who reviewed was a sitting judge (the faculty, she taught on part time basis). Her opinion was if what I have written is true, its disgusting. So I am sure we have a good legal case, do we have a good moral/social case that can sway public opinion and make people work faster/harder to give us our Green Card. Please feel free to use the assignment to give it to your journalist friend. I could not find the final copy that was proof read so please ignore grammatical mistakes,

rgds,
a

1. Identify a significant problem area within American Business
Today in American Business there is suboptimal utilization of legal alien’s talent and discrimination against employed alien. Due to immigration law and procedure these aliens also face considerable hardship.

2. Describe in detail the nature and extent of the problem in Society today
The United State government issues many type of visas to foreign Nationals [1]. The focus of the paper here is a type of visa, H1-B [2], which is issued to a foreign National “who will be incumbent in a temporary position, who will perform services in a specialty occupation, on whose behalf the employer has obtained an approved Labor Condition Application.” [2]

In short, if there is shortage of a skill in the U.S., and that skill is vital for the U.S. economy [3], the U.S. government allows U.S. companies to ‘import’ foreign nationals possessing that skill. Most of these foreign Nationals come through H1-B visa. If a foreign students undergoing higher education in U.S. has to have a H1-B visa to work in U.S. Few examples of skills that are in shortage (or were in shortage in the last few years) are Information Technology skills, Computer Software skills.

The number of H1-B visa offered in the last few years have been in the range of 65,000 to 1,20,000. The contribution of these H1-B workers has been tremendous to U.S. economy. The U.S. economy has enjoyed tremendous growth in the last few years. Former U.S. Labor Secretary Robert B. Reich says that 70% of the economic growth can be directly attributed to computers and Internet and the Internet and a good proportion of this should go to these knowledge workers [4]. To paraphrase “By making American industry more competitive, more innovative and by enabling technology to power the economy, these H1B workers have given back in a huge way” [4]
“The U.S. has the largest pool of scientists and technologists in the world… A closer look at this pool will reveal that a significant percentage of this talent is foreign born. According to a report by the National Science Foundation, as of 1997, 21% of the chemical engineers in the U.S. were foreign-born; 20% of the computer scientists were foreign born too.” [4] This can be explained because with the passage of time, these temporary H1-B workers are granted Permanent residency and finally citizenship.
The focus of this paper is to bring out the hardship and discrimination that these H1-B workers go through till they become a permanent resident (and after that a citizen) because of prevailing emigration law and procedure.

The law requires that the alien holding an H1-B visa can only remain in the U.S. legally, if he/she is employed with the firm that applied for his/her H1-B. [5] He and his/her spouse cannot be employed in anything else, by anyone [5]. The law also states that that the maximum period of H1-B visa (or multiple visas) for a person is 6 years, upon completion of which the emigrant has to leave the country unless he has an approved permanent resident petition (also called green card) [5]. ((8 U.S.C §1101(a)(15)(l)(b), 1182(n), 1184(c); 20 CFR 655 subparts H and I). An alien worker can only work for other employer (except for government or other ‘sensitive’ industries), if the other employer is willing to do a ‘fresh’ H1-B (which takes anything between few months to an year) or after getting a green card[5]. If he joins the other employer he has to initiate the green card process a fresh. Certain recent reforms in emigration law, makes it easy to switch job or get a de facto green card even before actual green card is approved. But the above mentioned rules still hold good.

Most of the legal alien that work, want to stay long enough to either become a citizen or earn enough to go back to his/her country. That time period is definitely more than 6 years before their H1B expires and they have to go back. If an alien gets a green card before 6 years, he has no danger of leaving the country and the restriction on the alien (or the spouse) not to work for anyone is gone.

In the old days (about a decade ago), a green card would take less than a year or two after being applied. Now, due to various reasons, it takes anywhere from 3 to 8 years. Most companies have policy not to initiate ‘green card’ till a certain time period has elapsed (which is usually 1 year of employment). Due to the circumstances and the emigration laws, an alien has no choice but to stick to his/her company till his green card is approved. An alien can change his/her job but has to start the green card process from the beginning. Moreover due to the economy and legal fees, many companies are reluctant to hire an alien. Though a point needs to be made, an alien with a green card does not face these hardships.

The above restriction imposes undue hardship on an alien and gives rise to discrimination. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) protects an alien who is "lawfully admitted for permanent residence" from employment discrimination because she is an alien [6]. An employer who knows that the employed legal alien is going to stay for his/her green card, no matter what, can (and in many cases does) pay him/her low, deny promotion or raises or expect high amount of work (for the same compensation).

Most of the time the spouse of the legal alien is also highly qualified person (a master or a Phd). By not allowing him/her to work till a green card is obtained, is wastage of that talent. The monetary value of the person to the U.S. economy is in the range of $250,000 (i.e. U.S. has to invest this much amount in a person education to get a master or a Ph.d.), which the economy is getting for free.

The biggest restriction imposed by emigration law is, it impedes free flow of skilled labor (that has been admitted legally in the U.S.) to a place (in the U.S. economy) where it can be utilized best. Both the U.S. economy and the alien lose out in this.

3. Read and summarize in your own words, two reference sources that support, oppose or discuss your identified problem.
While the merit of providing H1-B visas is being debated in this election year, the merit that a legal alien should get a green card is generally agreed by all. Recent changes in the emigration laws make its easier to change job or avail benefits of green card a little early. There are still many problems with the system that monitors and grants green card. Many recent government initiatives have tried to hasten the processing time. One such initiative is called PERM [7]. The proponents of PERM agree that undue delay put unwanted hardship on an alien. The new system aims at drastically reduce the years it takes to grant a green card. The other initiative, S. 2045 , to make it easier for H1B workers to switch job (and in some cases without jeopardizing the green card process) was passed by congress in 2000 [8]. While passing the law Congress agreed that an H1-B worker should be provided with more flexibility.

While S. 2045 made switching Job easier, the Perm initiative that had to be implemented many years ago is still imminent.

4. Analyze and discuss how this problem in any way effect your life, or the life of someone that you know
Being a legal alien (on H1-B), I can relate to most of the hardship faced by an H1-B visa holder. I would say that I have been fortunate in not being discriminated in my job, but my inability to switch to job that would pay me more or that I would enjoy doing is a cause of hardship. The fear of loosing the job (and then to subsequently uproot my life and move out of U.S.) makes the stake very high. The fact that one has to seek another job (within 10 days) in the same line of business and one cannot work any other job for financial security makes life that much harder. Inability of the spouse to be legally employed (in spite of having advance degree) puts lots of financial burden and also wastes her talents. She has no option but to sit at home.

5. Provide a proposed solution or resolution of the problem.
If the immigration process were efficient as it were once, the hardships arising due to the wait for green card would be a non issue. So the most obvious thing to do is to make the process more efficient. The law can be amended to allow a person to automatically pursue all the benefits of a green card after a certain time has elapsed, subjected to the condition that if the green card is rejected for any reason, he is ineligible to stay in U.S. (as is the case today). Some movement in that direction has happened in which an applicant gets green card like ‘benefits’ after certain stage, but that stage itself takes many years.

please see next post ----------->

Last edited by a moderator:
continued post

Most of the immigration laws regarding H1B are fair (in that they try to save American job). The additional delay is also valid if it improves the security of the nation. But there is still a vast scope where the basic purpose of the immigration law are upheld (like saving U.S. jobs, security) and the law/procedure modified to provide more flexibility to the alien worker. One would be to decouple the green card process from the employer. That way the person retains the flexibility of job hopping and not get penalized in his green card process. Contrary to popular belief, skilled emigrants (H1-B and their spouse) do not take away American job, but they create more job. The following quote proves this “Titled "the Global Battle for Talent and People," the study was conducted by the Washington-based Immigration Policy Center. It said immigrant professionals contribute significantly to job creation in the country "with Indian and Chinese entrepreneurs alone heading 29 per cent of Silicon Valley's technology businesses." Collectively these companies accounted for $19.5 billion in sales and 72,839 jobs in 2000, according to the University of California at Berkeley.” [9] The legal emigrant and their spouse should be allowed to take part in the American economy.

Bibliography

[1] http://www.immigration.com/faq/
[2] http://www.immigration.com/faq/hvisa.html#190
[3] http://www.nawb.org/pdf/pub-h1b.pdf
[4] http://www.theindianprogrammer.com/editorial/h1b_contributions.htm
[5] http://www.dol.gov/asp/programs/guide/h1b.htm
[6] http://www.gold1045.com/qfc/legal-employment.htm
[7] http://wdsc.doleta.gov/sga/rfp/PwCFinalReport.asp
[8] http://www.immigration.com/new-laws/s2045.html
[9] http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/articleshow?msid=181129&prtpage=1

Hi

lc410485gc said:
MD
PD 11/2002
RD N/A

No 45 days letter yet :eek: . Anybody has same PD got that letter :D ?

My PD-05/2003 in CA , then moved to fed on 4/2004.As per attorney its gone to Philli center

Any idea how long will it take ?

Thanks
Sandeep

Hi guys, Thanks for ur encouraging posts. My HR person told us that they are having consultations with a lawyer who has got Perm approvals and will start the groundwork for that next week. If i can get any info abt what exactly went wrong with our applications at Philly i will post it asap. Maybe it will help some others. Anyway...hoping and praying none of you will have to wait much longer in this never ending hell.....

zlegion,
I don't think this is due to issues with your company. Otherwise they'd not have asked to refile. Are most of you RIR? Methinks it's got to do with the RIR process your company adopted.
Chin up and have a good weekend.

zlegion said:
Hi guys, Thanks for ur encouraging posts. My HR person told us that they are having consultations with a lawyer who has got Perm approvals and will start the groundwork for that next week. If i can get any info abt what exactly went wrong with our applications at Philly i will post it asap. Maybe it will help some others. Anyway...hoping and praying none of you will have to wait much longer in this never ending hell.....

nk01,
What approvals/rejections did you see from PBEC near Apr 2003 RIR?

nk01 said:

Where did you get that info ?

Hi Rolling stone

Where did you get this info that the PA center is touching cases with Dec-02 PD - Non RIR & April -03 PD RIR

Please let us know, if thats true, its encouraging

Thanks
GCcomesoon

GCcomesoon said:
Hi Rolling stone

Where did you get this info that the PA center is touching cases with Dec-02 PD - Non RIR & April -03 PD RIR

Thanks
GCcomesoon

Guys, don't get so excited. many of us here are regional RIR cases with PD as early as late 2001 and early 2002 and none of us has heard anything from PBEC after replying to 45-d letter.

case details:
CA/RIR
PD: June 2002
RD: May 2003
45-d received in March

No 45 Day letter - Should I be worrying

Hi ,
This is my first post though I have been monitoring the forum for some time. My labor was filed in July 2003 from Philadelphia NON-RIR . I still haven't received the 45 day letter, or so my company's lawyers tell me. Should I be worried ??? Please do let me know I am getting very nervous.

Jajo

Last edited by a moderator:
GCSyndrome said:
Guys, don't get so excited. many of us here are regional RIR cases with PD as early as late 2001 and early 2002 and none of us has heard anything from PBEC after replying to 45-d letter.

case details:
CA/RIR
PD: June 2002
RD: May 2003
45-d received in March

And there are thousands from 2001 who havent even recieved 45 day letters. Dont expect the BEC to start working on 2002 cases till Jan 2006. BEC is likely to finish data entry by oct and then start adjucatinng the cases. If recent past is a predictor of the future work of BEC, then clearing of 2001 cases by Dec 2005 seems to be overly optimistic.

I am actually asking that question here. nk01 reported seeing Apr 03 approvals. I haven't seen or heard any such thing, and personally I don't think it's true.

GCcomesoon said:
Hi Rolling stone

Thanks
GCcomesoon