Philadelphia Backlog Elimination Center Tracking

From the State Department website

VAhoper said:
Any thoughts on future retrogression everyone?
The Department of State has available a recorded message with visa availability information which can be heard at: (area code 202) 663-1541. This recording will be updated in the middle of each month with information on cut-off dates for the following month.

D. RETROGRESSION OF THE EMPLOYMENT-BASED THIRD PREFERENCE “OTHER WORKER”
CATEGORY FOR JUNE
As mentioned in the Visa Bulletin announcing the May cut-off dates, demand for visa numbers in the Employment Other Worker category has remained extremely high despite the imposition of a cut-off date. As a result, it has been necessary to retrogress the June cut-off date in an attempt to hold number use within the annual limit. It is likely that the limit will be reached sometime during June, and the category would immediately become “unavailable”.

E. VISA AVAILABILITY DURING THE REMAINDER OF FY-2005

Employment-based: During the past month there has been a significant increase in the amount of numbers being used by Citizenship and Immigration Service (CIS) offices for adjustment of status applicants. This level of demand has significantly depleted the supply of Employment-based numbers available under the annual limit. Recent discussions with CIS have made it clear that their backlog reduction efforts will sustain or increase the current level of demand. Therefore, continued visa availability in the Employment-based categories cannot be guaranteed during the final quarter of FY-2005. If demand continues at the current rate, it will be necessary to oversubscribe many or all of the Employment categories on a Worldwide basis. Such oversubscription could result in the establishment of cut-off dates, retrogression of already established dates, or some categories becoming “unavailable”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Mugur. I am glad someone on this thread broke this good news. Hoping to hear more soon, per 'aprlc2002' 's updates. Feels good that someone in the Philly 'family' is got approved.

Question for gp111

gp111 said:
PERM Approvals cannot fill up the Quota As they will have later PD then yours !

What you said is probably true for EB3. What about EB2? If the PERM people at EB2 get their LCs approved now, they can file their I-140/I-485 right away and use up the quotas. By the time our LCs are approved, the priority date will become non-current. Is this the reality?

matrix1 said:
What you said is probably true for EB3. What about EB2? If the PERM people at EB2 get their LCs approved now, they can file their I-140/I-485 right away and use up the quotas. By the time our LCs are approved, the priority date will become non-current. Is this the reality?

EB-2 is likely to retrogress in future But Not Very Much as there are less number of Cases in EB-2 then in EB-3.. In case of EB-2 retrogression also, BEC approved LCs will have prior PD then PERM approvals. So BEC cases has nothing to loose while PERM cases will be either waiting for I-485 approval OR Filing. BEC cases will be able to file earlier then PERM case as well as approved before PERM cases. The Only Question here is WHEN BEC CLEARS LC..

Information about Retrogression

matrix1 said:

You can always get the latest month by month retrogression information on US Department of State Web site.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

Select "Current Bulletin" for most current info.

Hope this helps.

gp111 said:
EB-2 is likely to retrogress in future But Not Very Much as there are less number of Cases in EB-2 then in EB-3.. In case of EB-2 retrogression also, BEC approved LCs will have prior PD then PERM approvals. So BEC cases has nothing to loose while PERM cases will be either waiting for I-485 approval OR Filing. BEC cases will be able to file earlier then PERM case as well as approved before PERM cases. The Only Question here is WHEN BEC CLEARS LC..

Dont like speculating and theorizing but here's another case in point when a PERM case may indeed take up a valuable visa number for the AOS (I-485).
Case: Iff and When we hear of a PERM case where the applicant has successfully transferred their PD from a RIR or TR type case to PERM.
Of course, if you think about it - chances are only those with PDs in late 03 or later would attempt this, anyone before those dates would in all likelihood stay the course with BPC's.... in which case we're back to what gp111 has already pointed out above.

Cases demostrated by this case will be far and few as most applicants and lawyers are not too hot for conversions yet.

spidey said:
Dont like speculating and theorizing but here's another case in point when a PERM case may indeed take up a valuable visa number for the AOS (I-485).
Case: Iff and When we hear of a PERM case where the applicant has successfully transferred their PD from a RIR or TR type case to PERM.
Of course, if you think about it - chances are only those with PDs in late 03 or later would attempt this, anyone before those dates would in all likelihood stay the course with BPC's.... in which case we're back to what gp111 has already pointed out above.

Cases demostrated by this case will be far and few as most applicants and lawyers are not too hot for conversions yet.

& we don't mind if someone with Original PD of 01, 02 or 03 gets his approval fast thru PERM (using original PD) & take up one Visa Number... He is one of us anyway !

mugur said:
THANK YOU GOD!!!
My lawyer's assistant called me today to tell me my LC is APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally,after 4 yearssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
I will go tomorrow to my lawyer and post back all the results.
My PD Aprli 29 2001.
Good luck to all the others that will hear the same call this week:Approved
Thank you God!

cONGRATULATIONS !!!!

Please tell us where did you fill your LC??? is RIR or Traditional ??

no fifo ???

My lawyer replied the letter on the beginning of Feb ...
So there is no FIFO but PD is more important I guess ..

spidey said:
Since mugur is probably out there getting drunk or celebrating in whatever manner mugur like to celebrate and we are all wondering about mugur's application information..

i took the time to look up mugurs past posts and dig up mugurs application related information....

here it is...

state MD
Regular
PD- 29 April 2001
Transffered to Philadelphia 21 January 2004
BEC case # P-04272-xxxx
45-day letter received March 9
45-day letter responded March 21

i am not responsible for inaccuracy etc etc etc this is just a copy of what i found elsewhere... :cool:

spidey -

how to find # of LC's @ BEC by month/year

is there a way to find how many cases are at BEC by month and year based on there PD. any one has any data.

Another question

gp111 said:

Thanks, gp111 and susannj

Another question. If both a PERM case and a BEC case filed I-485, BEC case has an earlier priority date and PERM case filed I-485 earlier, whose I-485 will be approved first?

may be EB2/EB3

chinglun said:
My lawyer replied the letter on the beginning of Feb ...
So there is no FIFO but PD is more important I guess ..

I got my letter in Feb too. What is ur case# ? Mine is P-04273xxx and Mugur has P-04272xxx. My application is EB3. I am not sure if 3 in "73xxx" means EB3 and 2 in "72xxx" means EB2 ? Were your application in EB2 or EB3 ?

atyagi73 said:
I got my letter in Feb too. What is ur case# ? Mine is P-04273xxx and Mugur has P-04272xxx. My application is EB3. I am not sure if 3 in "73xxx" means EB3 and 2 in "72xxx" means EB2 ? Were your application in EB2 or EB3 ?

Icarus (insider from the Dallas Backlog Center) has mentioned that first 5 digits of the case # denotes the no. of days which the PBC has taken to enter into their system. In your case P-04272-XXX means the case was entered 9/29/2004. I don't think it has anything to do with the category i.e EB-2 or EB-3...

Hi,

can someone answer these:

Is there a difference between EB2 and EB3 during the data entry / 45 day letter sending / labor approval with in the back log reduction center?

If there is a difference, what is it and how would the Backlog center determine if a case is EB2/EB3?

ajaysri said:
Hi,

can someone answer these:

Is there a difference between EB2 and EB3 during the data entry / 45 day letter sending / labor approval with in the back log reduction center?

If there is a difference, what is it and how would the Backlog center determine if a case is EB2/EB3?

Labor certification itself is in no way concerned with the EB status of the filing, the EB status is important only when the I-485 application is initiated. And that also only when there is retrogression. Last couple of years when all dates were current, this EB status didn't really matter.
Only objection the BPC (or DOL really) can have is if the resulting EB status of a positions requirement are "unduly restrictive"

Having said that, the BPC will know the EB category because of the requirements of the job / advertisement for the position that you are seeking the labor certification for....

Without going into details (since you can find details about the various EB statuses elsewhere) an example is:

Position A is advertised for a Engineers position requiring a Bachelors degree.
Position B is advertised for a Technical Mgrs position requiring either a Bachelors degree and at least 5 years progressive experience OR a Masters degree in a related field.

Position A is EB3, Position B is EB2. BPC can see what the requirements for the position are and will know the EB status of the position.

Unduly Restrictive could be if Position A from this example was required to have a Masters degree even though the industry norm is to require a Bachelors degree....

Hope this helps -

ok ...

so FIFO is based on PD not 45 day letter ...

according the the explanation, 04273 is 2004 and 273 days ...

mine is 04307--- and EB2 from CA ... and PD is around 6/02

atyagi73 said:

matrix1 said:
Thanks, gp111 and susannj

Another question. If both a PERM case and a BEC case filed I-485, BEC case has an earlier priority date and PERM case filed I-485 earlier, whose I-485 will be approved first?

Is There is retrogression & PERM Case PD is beyond PD cutoff Date (& BEC case has earlier PD then Cutoff) then BEC case will get I-485 processed first while PERM case will wait for PD to be current.

atyagi73 said:

EB2/3 has no significance at LC stage.. It comes to picture when you appy I-140.

04272 means your case was entered in to system on Sept. 28th 2004

one observation...

I know many of you guys are eagerly waiting for something from BEC but i would advise some of you to actually 'READ' the messages in the forum before posting.
I know 130+ pages is not short but yu can use the 'Search' function on the forum to pick the subject you want. We already talked about what the case number means earlier, we also said many time that the EB isn t of any interest in a LC application. We also talked about FIFO earlier... I dont mind repeating again and again the same information but some users give the bad answer to the question asked.
I wonder if we could put a 'Sticky' note in this forum with a FAQ of everything we know so far. It would save time and frustration to everyone reading this forum.