• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

People who were selected for DV 2012 (IMPORTANT)

For a class action Law suit a lawyer want to receive money...this DV lottery is not handing out a dime only collecting money from winners...so really do you think you have one bit of a chance and a Law suit needs to be filed in the USA and I'm not sure but I think you need to live here to be included....again not sure about the last thing but 100% sure about the other thing.

Emotional distress is not something that relates to a case like this since this not even a contract case. Emotional distress has to do with accidents or very serious issues.

Even a lottery (money) winner will not be rewarded a dime is announced at first they won, since there are always the tiny small letters disclosing that they are not liable for any mistakes in the results or misprints....

Sorry for the winners but it was obvious that something was wrong.

The most a person can receive is maybe the postal costs back...(for sending the paperwork to KCC)...but perhaps by sending it so fast there might have been mistakes in the paperwork like my friend had when she won...she forgot to cross one little tiny box and had to resend it later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see the reason why lottery applicants should fight among themselves because there will be redraw.

As much as the former winners were not fairly and randomly selected as said by the U.S Department, I think the winners should still be given a chance. Because of the error made, no decision can be fair; some former winnners (if not all, which is possible) could lose when there is a redraw, but those who didnt win get the 2nd chance to be selected. On the other hand, if the former winners are given the chance, a draw for 78,000 would be made and those who did not win still get the 2nd chance to win but will also claim unfairness.

But frankly, those who won are equally innocent: they did not take advantage of the system, did not commit any fraud to be selected. It was purely a mistake on the part of U.S Department, that is why there is a degree of wisdom to give the former winners a chance to proceed. I think they should be pardoned because it is emotionally hard and would be very hard if some former winners lose in the redraw.

In effect, as a result of the error nothing about this year lottery can be completely fair. At best, the degree of unfairness could be reduced taking the interest of both fomer winners and those who did not win. But running a new lottery will cause more harm than good.

I agree with you! No one asking for a green card, just let us proceed and have our interview. US government will chose if we deserve this lottery.

How do you know - I wouldn't won in case lottery would be without any error. By a redraw you taking away my equally rightful chance of winning and giving it to some other person who shouldn't have won int he first place.

Have fair is that?

@CraigToomy: you said it's mistake and it should not be honored. Ok my friend tell me 1 thing, i will give you an exemple: this is lottery right? your name is Jack so for exemple, when you win a million dollars, you feel happy and excited and you go to get your money BUT they tell you, ops! sorry this money should be go to John not you ?? How come? Numbers are selected randomly and i'm the one who got the ticket with the numbers, UNLESS the numbers has John's name. The mistake is something done in incorrect way on behalf of someone, so when you go to the ATM and your withdraw money let's say $100, but the ATM gives you $20!!! Why? that is a mistake and should be corrected. But in our case, we are selected all randomly Freely, it's not a paid service and the computer did its job perfectly as designed to it to do. So they should assume their fault.

Exactly

Your example isn't quite the same as DV2012 story. I'm Jack and I entered the lottery on 5th, therefore I have 16% chance to win vs. John who has only .5% chance only because he bought the lottery ticket 20 days later.

That is life. You came late, you just don't want it as much.

What about JOB interviews? Do they wait for every possible candidate or they hire on the spot person fit their need, and eager to answer the call. Mostly is people who came first.

Same thing with castings - if you one on the first you have more chances being on the movie.

People who were first just wanted it more then anything in the world (including me) I have waited midnight on October 4th just to start applying.

What about JOB interviews? Do they wait for every possible candidate or they hire on the spot person fit their need, and eager to answer the call. Mostly is people who came first.
This is lottery, not job interview or movie casting. Lottery. Some people are lazy or feel like they might be lucky should they apply last minute - it doesn't matter, they all deserve an equal chance.

Same thing with castings - if you one on the first you have more chances being on the movie.

People who were first just wanted it more then anything in the world (including me) I have waited midnight on October 4th just to start applying.

with all due respect this is the most ridiculous thing you have posted thus far. There was a 30 day registration period, how does going first equate to wanting it more? Everybody wants to win, can everybody enter on the first or second day? Come Keona make a better argument for your case.

Frequently Asked Questions

"Q: Why was it necessary to invalidate the names that were selected?

U.S. law requires that Diversity Immigrant visas be made available through a strictly random process. A computer programming error resulted in a selection that was not truly random.

Since the computer programming error caused an outcome that was not random, the outcome did not meet the requirements of the law, and would have been unfair to many DV entrants."

What more is really there to say???????.

look at the video message from Donahue..pay special attention around the 1 minute mark.

Ok, it's words - words don't mean anything without proof. I hope you agree with me. In such case there is need for some hard evidence.

Frequently Asked Questions

"Q: Why was it necessary to invalidate the names that were selected?

U.S. law requires that Diversity Immigrant visas be made available through a strictly random process. A computer programming error resulted in a selection that was not truly random.

Since the computer programming error caused an outcome that was not random, the outcome did not meet the requirements of the law, and would have been unfair to many DV entrants."

What more is really there to say???????.

How unfair was it?

It was based on color, nation, sex, education? On what?

I'm so tired to argue about that. This topic is not about bad DV 2012 winners are, it's about truth.

So you want this GC more that the people that are already on US, on a non-imigrant visa, for 2,3,4 years or more? People that work there, maybe have US born kids basically their life is in the US, and they have to go back to their country in the next 1, 2, 3 years, because they can't extend their visas anymore for different reasons?
What about their feelings? When they saw that they were not selected because they didn't apply in the first days... "Fist come, first served" was nowhere in the DV rules!
Even if you want this more than anybody in the world, you are not ready for the life in USA. Just read the article in the link. This happened few days ago.
http://www.newser.com/story/118270/fema-asks-disaster-victims-to-return-aid-money.html
http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/41237927.html

Last edited by a moderator:
with all due respect this is the most ridiculous thing you have posted thus far. There was a 30 day registration period, how does going first equate to wanting it more? Everybody wants to win, can everybody enter on the first or second day? Come Keona make a better argument for your case.

I'm not arguing for my case. Sorry. Just want fairness.

If you want arguing partner, go look in other place. I have never taken anything - that I have not deserved. It was given to me by Government. Now they have taken it away from me and thousand of other people. End of story.

If you think it's fair, go ahead and think that way I cant stop you from that. If you think thousand of people deserve emotional crisis (I was spiting blood first two minutes, after realizing that I have being played by the government) I have signed bill of sale and transfered ownership of my apartment on Wednesday, and on Friday I have found out that I have lost so much (worked for it, non stop without vacations for 6 years). I don't blame you if you will never understand me or other winners. This was last drop. Worst thing it killed my hope and spirit. I know you would never understand. I know how I would act if I were YOU, I would have helped those people who were treated with disrespect and disregard for their lives.

This is country create by immigrants and for immigrants, my point is - everything is possible but lightning don't strike in the same place twice, just remember that when you tell everyone who won - they have won unequally. How about those "10%" as "they say" who won disregarding October 5th and 6th. They are cheats and looser too??? But who am I kidding, you already made up your mind on this matter. Who am I just, just a cheater with ridiculous arguments to tell you otherwise.

God bless you.

So you want this GC more that the people that are already on US, on a non-imigrant visa, for 2,3,4 years or more? People that work there, maybe have US born kids basically their life is in the US, and they have to go back to their country in the next 1, 2, 3 years, because they can't extend their visas anymore for different reasons?
What about their feelings? When they saw that they were not selected because they didn't apply in the first days... "Fist come, first served" was nowhere in the DV rules!
Even if you want this more than anybody in the world, you are not ready for the life in USA. Just read the article in the link. This happened few days ago.
http://www.newser.com/story/118270/fema-asks-disaster-victims-to-return-aid-money.html
http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/41237927.html

You know better. Those people who applied on November 29th 2010 and have won against all odds - don't deserve their win ether or just us who won on 5th and 6th?

More news will unfold on Monday/tuesday. US govt opened the site on 1st May, told people that they were selected, many called to confirm it and was told to send in their forms. Was the earlier winners unlucky or did the US govt make a hash decision? To me, the govt decision is a bit over the top after all, it was their mistake. I think the earlier winners can make their voice be heard. Then, how about other none selectees? Do they deserve equal and fair selection? To me, the answer is yes.

Honestly, the best decision is: Let all that has been selected continue with the process. According to DOS, about 22,000 selectees checked online, then, do another selection to round it up to 100,000. Like one congressman said, it is shameful.

On a second thought, why did they have to wait till Friday to make a statement? To escape crazy calls i guess.

So you want this GC more that the people that are already on US, on a non-imigrant visa, for 2,3,4 years or more? People that work there, maybe have US born kids basically their life is in the US, and they have to go back to their country in the next 1,2, 3years, because they can't extend their visas anymore for different reasons?

Keona amazing as it may sound to you, I am truly sorry that all of this happened in the first place. I am not here to argue but if you insist on putting your opinions out there it must make sense and be based on fact as we know it, not emotions and feelings of disappointment. We must look at the big picture and be Fair and Just regardless of how it hurts.

I am also sorry that you took such drastic actions based on the notification that we now know to be erroneous. I hope that you can bounce back bigger and stronger and be more cautious in the future. July 15 is 2 months away and like I said before I expect people to win a second time.

I understand your plight I really do but when we fight for fairness, we fight for fairness for ALL (regardless of colour, sex, nationality, early applicant or late applicant) and that is essentially what the DOS did with the decision they took.

Chin up Keona, this too shall pass.

I must say the sense of entitlement on this forum is truly awe inspiring! The willingness to try and coerce/extort green cards out of the US government due to what is effectively a technical failure is also astounding!

It is a truly sad and i imagine frustrating event for those who were told they were winners i can understand that.

But the fact would appear to remain, those previously selected were selected in error and due to an UNFAIR advantage in their favor stemming from a technical issue. As frustrating as it would be, i respect the decision of DOS to do it again and hopefully do it right! Millions of others who were unfairly excluded fromm the original draw should feel the same.

I would rather live in a society based on this type of fairness and integrity than some notion of justice springing from an oportunistic extortion fueled by human/technical error.

Once again, truly sorry for those greeted with the sad news; best of luck with the redraw when everyone is on a level playing field.

ajk

I must say the sense of entitlement on this forum is truly awe inspiring! The willingness to try and coerce/extort green cards out of the US government due to what is effectively a technical failure is also astounding!

It is a truly sad and i imagine frustrating event for those who were told they were winners i can understand that.

But the fact would appear to remain, those previously selected were selected in error and due to an UNFAIR advantage in their favor stemming from a technical issue. As frustrating as it would be, i respect the decision of DOS to do it again and hopefully do it right! Millions of others who were unfairly excluded fromm the original draw should feel the same.

I would rather live in a society based on this type of fairness and integrity than some notion of justice springing from an oportunistic extortion fueled by human/technical error.

Once again, truly sorry for those greeted with the sad news; best of luck with the redraw when everyone is on a level playing field.

ajk

Very well articulated.

harmless error

Keona amazing as it may sound to you, I am truly sorry that all of this happened in the first place. I am not here to argue but if you insist on putting your opinions out there it must make sense and be based on fact as we know it, not emotions and feelings of disappointment. We must look at the big picture and be Fair and Just regardless of how it hurts.

I am also sorry that you took such drastic actions based on the notification that we now know to be erroneous. I hope that you can bounce back bigger and stronger and be more cautious in the future. July 15 is 2 months away and like I said before I expect people to win a second time.

I understand your plight I really do but when we fight for fairness, we fight for fairness for ALL (regardless of colour, sex, nationality, early applicant or late applicant) and that is essentially what the DOS did with the decision they took.

Chin up Keona, this too shall pass.

Sonibago, what is fairness? Though the computer erroneously selected some people, I think they should still be given the chance to proceed. It is important that we all recognized that it was not their fault; they did not cheat the system, they did not manipulate the computer, they did absolutely nothing to be selected. Because of this error any decision taken by DOS can not be completely fair. There two possible options: keep the initial winners and redraw the rest or run a new lottery for all applicants. Both options is unfair. It will be unfair to the initial winners if a new lottery is run because they did absolutely nothing wrong and did not take advantage of the other applicants or the system to win. It will also be unfair to those who did not win because the computer erred. The question now become how can the degree of unfairness be reduced in both instances?

If the first option is taken, those who did not win have another chance to be selected. If the second option is taken, those who did not win still have another chance to be selected. But there is everything for the initial winners to lose if the second option is taken because some or all of them might win again or some or all of them might not win again. Based on this, I am of the opinion that the initial winners must be given to chance to proceed.

What is fairness? Though the computer erroneously selected some people, I think they should still be given the chance to proceed. It is important that we all recognized that it was not their fault; they did not cheat the system, they did not manipulate the computer, they did absolutely nothing to be selected. Because of this error any decision taken by DOS can not be completely fair. There two possible options: keep the initial winners and redraw the rest or run a new lottery for all applicants. Both options is unfair. It will be unfair to the initial winners if a new lottery is run because they did absolutely nothing wrong and did not take advantage of the other applicants or the system to win. It will also be unfair to those who did not win because the computer erred. The question now become how can the degree of unfairness be reduced in both instances?

If the first option is taken, those who did not win have another chance to be selected. If the second option is taken, those who did not win still have another chance to be selected. But there is everything for the initial winners to lose if the second option is taken because some or all of them might win again or some or all of them might not win again. Based on this, I am of the opinion that the initial winners must be given to chance to proceed.