OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Salem, Did you submit the surrender certificate in original or just a copy ? If original, do we get back the surrender certificate ?

Thanks !

Got an e-mail from the SF consulate

I got the dreaded e-mail from the consulate. They are now asking for a colored copy of the GC or EAD or original Indian passports. We have the original Indian passports and possibly colored copies of the GC. I understand that they are trying to make sure if the GC was based on asylum. In addition they are asking for original I-30 (I guess this was a typo, to mean I-130)

Since our Indian passports were not canceled they also are asking for the renunciation forms and $175 per person. Their list of documents is inconsistent and ever growing.

Ours was a straightforward employment (I-140) based GC. What do we send in this case, the original I-140? Or the Indian passports/colored copy of GC would be enough?

We are pressed for time, traveling to India on 06/02. Thanks in advance for your replies.

anybody recd. ack for OCI filed in late April/early May?

I sent OCI application on 4/30 and was recd. on 5/03. The site still shows that it has not been
acknowledged. Anyone else filed around the same time?

Last edited by a moderator:
For OCI applications not acknowledged yet, they are returning the applications. The procedure now is to apply for 'Surrender Certificate' & after receiving the 'Surrender Certificate' , resubmit the OCI application.

Thats right. They sent my OCI application back and told me to resubmit with a surrender certificate.
It costs $40 to send and include a return express envelop. Now I have to do this 2 more time..do the same for the surrender cert and then resubmit the application..

Can't we send the OCI package + $175 for surrender certificate and Indian passport in Original all together? Yesterday I received my OCI package back (I sent them on 6th May before the new rule was published on the site); the check list (a new one added on top of the check list I sent) shows that missing money order for $175. It also indicates that original US pasport is missing.

The comment on the check list gives me an impression that we may be OK to send the OCI package + $175 & Indian passport all together. However it is not worth taking risk with these morons and loosing yet another 2 or 3 weeks. I will go ahead and apply for surreder cetificate first.

I did some random search and found couple of file numbers that says Date of Ack - 5/10 and status granted - don't know though when these people actually applied.

CGI SF is not issuing surrender certificates for people who have already surrendered their Indian passports as per below link

cgisf.org/renunciation/ricscpenalty.html

If you have an Indian Passport which has already been surrendered - No Surrender Certificate Issued

I acquired US citizenship few months back and had immediate travel plans so got a visa at that time.
The consulate put a stamp in Indian passport that it is cancelled as acquired US nationality and issued me visa

Now I want to apply for OCI.
One requirement in OCI is surrender certificate.

If they are not issuing surrender certificates for people who have already surrendered their Indian passports, how could I get one since it is required to apply for OCI?

Is Walking in Available ?

Guys,
Recently got US citizenship.Any other experiences of people walking in and getting the cancellation letter ? I have immediate travel to India coming up and need cancellation ASAP so i can apply for tourist visa. I will be driving up from LA so I would like to confirm that this is possible before I head up there..
Ardaviraf

CGI SF is not issuing surrender certificates for people who have already surrendered their Indian passports as per below link

cgisf.org/renunciation/ricscpenalty.html

If you have an Indian Passport which has already been surrendered - No Surrender Certificate Issued

I acquired US citizenship few months back and had immediate travel plans so got a visa at that time.
The consulate put a stamp in Indian passport that it is cancelled as acquired US nationality and issued me visa

Now I want to apply for OCI.
One requirement in OCI is surrender certificate.

If they are not issuing surrender certificates for people who have already surrendered their Indian passports, how could I get one since it is required to apply for OCI?

Include your original Indian passport with your OCI application package. Include a letter stating that your passport is already canceled and per CGISF website you don't need a surrender certificate any more. You may also want to include a copy of the website table with the first item highlighted. People processing you application are mostly morons and need things made very clear to them.

Not yet. Please keep this forum posted if you heard back from them. I am checking USPS with my return envelope tracking number to see if they returned my application.

My Trip to SF consulate 05/19/2010

I want to share my experiences so as it may help to any one of you who are in the same boat.

MY OCI details ;
Applied for: family (kids us born)
Acknowledged: 04-29-2010
despatched from delhi : 05-05-2010

Since then there is no update in the status and havent heard anything. I decided to go to the CGI to take a chance. Based upon information on various fourms and experiences from othersThis is what I did -

Preparation:

1. Filleed surrender 2 seperate applications for both me and wife as described in CG web site.
2. paid $175 cashiers check seperately for both me and my wife
3. US passport all pages copies.
4. current Indian passport copies (which I made before submitting originals with OCI. even if you have first last pages, I guess you are ok. If you have earlier passports that are already cancelled for issuing new ones, just carry with you.)
5. Green card copies ( This is a MUST. they are stressing for it. you might have made a copy while applying for green card)
5. naturalization copy ( Even it states on the naturalization that you should not copy - the reply from CG is that, you can copy as we are asking for it. It is needed)
6. Screenshots of my case status - this is very helpful to pull out the file easily
7. Self addressed envelopes with tracking attached to each of the applications

In the consulate :

took a ticket and waited for almost 1.5 hrs when my number was called. the guy (sounds like gregory peck) asked what I am there for. I told came here to pay for surrender certificates and request to attach the same to my OCI as it is being processed. He did not get it. He pointed to another guy in suite
standing next to the door. I explained him my case that my oci is in processing and it was despatched from delhi long back but havent heard any from CG. This guy in the suite is nice and very helpful.

He went and talked to the vice consulate general who seems very busy going around. after a while the vice CG called some one from the OCI cell. and told me to wait for the perosn to come from teh OCI cell.
After 10 -15 mts of wait a lady came down from the OCI cell. I explained my case. she asked my case number. She went upstairs and came back after 30 mts with my file.

She asked for the Greencard copies. She asked for naturalization copies. On the birth certificates of my kids my wife's sign is missing ( I only signed) . She asked to Fax the copies with both signs to her asap.
She gave back my Indian passports and Took The US passports of my family ( I did not submit with OCI).

Then she went to the cashiers counter and asked the cashier to take my Applications. I attached indian passports to the surender certificates applications, submitted in the cash counter. The lady from OCI patiently waited for the process to be finished and took the recieipt of payment for surrender certs from the cashier, said finally ... "Every thing looks good. I will call you if anything else is needed. It will be done in 2,3 days."

Some useful tips while you visit the SF consulate:

1. No back packs (they will give a locker to shove ur backpack outside the CG office)
2. No phones
3. No music players (even with earphones) - something like the announcement in ariplane "switch OFF all devices"
4. Go there early - as much early as possible (opens at 9. better be there by 8 - 8-30)
5. Go prepared with lot of quarters for parking and dont forget to feed the meters as needed (limit is 1 hr or 2 hrs)

I paid Rs 300 ($10 at that time) to get an Indian passport. I paid $175 to get it cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ramkay for sharing your detailed expereince. Did they say they will be processing your Surrender certificate in 2-3 days or OCI card in 2-3 days or both ? Did you find out if this Surrender Certificate has any use in the future; would they return it to you or just return the passports with the U-sticker ?