OCI - San Francisco Tracker

OCI Application Returned - Asking for Green Card

Hi All,

I submitted OCI application for my family at SFO office. They returned the application saying they need color photocopies of greencard with OCI application? I have not seen that requirement in any of the documents listed online. I don't have my GC's anymore because I believe I had to give it back as part of Naturalization process.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any comments will be highly appreciated...

Looking forward to your responses

Thanks,
Tom

This shows -of late how they are working.

This shows -of late how they are working.
They were responding to queries and now they are not now -for my numerous mails.
And See the above post.
They want a green card for OCI?? makes any sense of it?

Hi Tom,
I am planning to apply for OCI and don't have color copy of my Green card.We surrendered our green cards during oath.Could you please post the consulate's response as soon as you hear back from them?

Hi,

I submitted my appl for OCI and they returned it saying that they need colored copy of my Green Card ? Has anyone else had this requirement? I did send copies of my US passport as well as copy of Naturalization Certificates. I'm at loss as I don't even have my Green Card with me anymore...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom

I just checked the San Francisco Consulate's OCI web page and unfortunately they are now asking for a color copy of green card OR the immigrant visa petition with supporting documents. They are also suggesting that a Freedom of Information Act filing be made with USCIS to obtain these documents! I am not sure what they were thinking?
See "What is required" section below:
http://www.cgisf.org/oc/oci_process.html#reservations

I just checked the San Francisco Consulate's OCI web page and unfortunately they are now asking for a color copy of green card OR the immigrant visa petition with supporting documents. They are also suggesting that a Freedom of Information Act filing be made with USCIS to obtain these documents!

Ouch!! What would make them do that? Do the asylum green cards have any special notation? They might not want to give OCI to people who complained about GOI.

Ouch!! What would make them do that? Do the asylum green cards have any special notation? They might not want to give OCI to people who complained about GOI.

Yes, green cards issued to Asylees do have a special notation - they have ASx code on them. If asylum is the concern, then they should ask for a declaration from all OCI applicants that they did not seek asylum.

They have also changed the requirement for Indian passport - now they want the original Indian passport THAT YOU FIRST USED TO ENTER UNITED STATES, not the most recent one.

They have also changed the requirement for Indian passport - now they want the original Indian passport THAT YOU FIRST USED TO ENTER UNITED STATES, not the most recent one.

I think we should have a general thread on this, not just for SFO.
This second change also indicates they are cracking down on people who took asylum and now want OCI.
This is my best reading.

Yes, green cards issued to Asylees do have a special notation - they have ASx code on them. If asylum is the concern, then they should ask for a declaration from all OCI applicants that they did not seek asylum.

Looks like they need only one item, either copies of green card or original passport used to enter US.

Please provide one:
Two Colour legible photocopies (original may be asked for, if required) of Green Card
or
Two Colour legible photocopies (original may be asked for, if required) of EAD
or
Original Indian passport on which first time entered USA
or
Original I-130 and supporting documents provided at the time of obtaining immigrant visa to enter the USA (see www.uscis.gov for details of obtaining)
or
If applicant is US/ Foreign born, pl. provide two colour photocopies of the birth certificate (In this case, pl. provide documents as per OPTION C at S. No. 5 below)

Hi All,

I submitted OCI application for my family at SFO office. They returned the application saying they need color photocopies of greencard with OCI application? I have not seen that requirement in any of the documents listed online. I don't have my GC's anymore because I believe I had to give it back as part of Naturalization process.

---------Write to them that one is not supposed to make the Color copy of Green Card and it is illegal (according to US immigration department and they can check with them) and one submit the Green Card at the time of Oath when one gets Naturalization certificate and after one becomes US citizen why one need to keep copy of Green Card?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any comments will be highly appreciated...
--------------this is the first time I am reading that they need Color copy of GC
Looking forward to your responses

Thanks,
Tom
Good Luck!! and update us what they are saying.

Yeah I didn't send the original passport used to enter US. I guess I'll send that and see if they're ok with it. By the way I was not on asylum, had the normal GC route.

Any one recently got Acknowledged for your OCI application? I send my applications for my family on 04/20.. So far no updates or Acknowledged.
I tried calling the OCI cell as well as email to find the status.. NO response.

I sent mine on 4/29 and haven't seen any updates or Acknowledgments.
When I try to find out my case number using my passport # and DOB, it doesn't recognize me.

Adding my OCI time line. I did not send the US passports/PIO/Return envelope with the OCI application. Only the Indian passport was sent with the OCI application. USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation was used for application/passports as well as return envelope. Remember to note down the delivery confirmation number for the return envelope if you use priority mail. Kids passport/birth certificates copies were attested by me.

OCI
03/25/10: Mailed to SF
03/26/10: Reached SF
04/12/10: Acknowledged
04/14/10: Granted
04/14/10: Scanned
04/15/10: Printed
04/19/10: Dispatched
04/30/10: Recd at SF
05/02/10: Passport/PIO mailed
05/03/10: Got Email reminder from OCI Cell to send the passports
05/03/10: Passport/PIO reached SF
05/11/10: OCI Recd

Sent OCI application yesterday without the Surrender Cert..

I sent the my family OCI application yesterday and later found out that CGISF has updated its site and now are asking for the Surrender Cert. I also included my Indian passports (not canceled yet) with the packet.

Anyone else in this situation? I tried to call/email them but haven't gotten any response on if I need to send additional money etc. I just hope they don't return my application after keeping it there for a month or so.

Thanks.

Now SF consulate also has jumped on this surrender certificate bandwagon. The form seems to be much more clear than the ones from NY consulate's website. It also looks like any visa applicant (not just OCI/PIO) needs to obtain this certificate before getting any service from them. Also unique with SF consulate is that the passport might not be returned to the applicant - just the surrender certificate will be issued. The form clearly has a declaration that " I have retained a copy of my Indian passport and will not ask for the same in future."

See http://www.cgisf.org/renunciation/ricsc.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Received OCI

Hello,

I was pleasantly surprised with the speed, looks like SFO is dispatching OCI card on the same day
they got it from delhi.The online status is not yet updated but i got OCI card and passports for family.

OCI for self and Family:
Application Mailed: 6th April
Received at SFO: 7th April
Acknowledged: 23rd April
Granted/SCanned/Printed: 27th April
Dispatched from Delhi: 3rd May
Oci received at home: 12th May (Online status still says Dispatched from Delhi)