OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Also unique with SF consulate is that the passport might not be returned to the applicant - just the surrender certificate will be issued. The form clearly has a declaration that " I have retained a copy of my Indian passport and will not ask for the same in future."

See http://www.cgisf.org/renunciation/ricsc.html
But the link above says--'These passports are cancelled and returned to the passport holder for future reference'.
Not clear which one really rules.

Also significant at SF consulate's website is the information that if one has already canceled his/her Indian passport, no further service at $175 is required

see http://www.cgisf.org/renunciation/ricscpenalty.html

So all of us who have managed to get their OCI/PIO/Visas in the past don't have to go through this crap (provided we have got our Indian passports canceled)
Fees part is nil but suddenly they may say all OCI guys on this earth need to submit form with cancelled PPs along??so that a certificate can be issued?That part explicitly is not there.Hopefully they will not ask.

I really appreciate if someone can answer my query.
1.Do we have to pay $175 fee for each minor children as well?
2.I didn't apply for their naturalization certificate yet.Per US law, minor children can aply for passport based on parents naturalization certificate.How can we make sure these baffoons aware of this and don't insist for kids naturalization certificate which costs couple of hundreds of dollars?
3.What are they going to for the aplications already in process?
4.If we need to apply for surrender certificate for kids, who needs to sign the form? kids or parents

We entered the online application on 4/23 and send in our application on 4/24. It was received at the SF consulate on 4/26. Now Indian Government is saying that for all applications in progress or for which the OCI is not issued will have to get the Surrender Certificate.

Does this mean that they will send me application back to me? When will we know. We had plans to go to India in July/August time frame.

1.Do we have to pay $175 fee for each minor children as well?
2.I didn't apply for their naturalization certificate yet.Per US law, minor children can aply for passport based on parents naturalization certificate.How can we make sure these baffoons aware of this and don't insist for kids naturalization certificate which costs couple of hundreds of dollars?
3.What are they going to for the aplications already in process?
4.If we need to apply for surrender certificate for kids, who needs to sign the form? kids or parents

To the best of ever-changing knowledge:
#1. Yes - if the kids naturalized. If they were US born, they escape this fee.
#2. Apply now.
#3. You need to pay up unless they already "fully processed" it.
#4. No idea.

We entered the online application on 4/23 and send in our application on 4/24. It was received at the SF consulate on 4/26. Now Indian Government is saying that for all applications in progress or for which the OCI is not issued will have to get the Surrender Certificate.

Does this mean that they will send me application back to me? When will we know. We had plans to go to India in July/August time frame.

Pay up. I mean - file for surrender certificate ASAP. Irrespective of whether they send it back or not, get the certificate done. You will have a lot more clarity in a few days.

Naturalization certificate for kids

#2. Apply now.
We are talking about spending another $920(2*$460) here to apply for kids natualization certificate on top of surrender fees which I need to pay to Indian consulate.

I can't even pay now since all my passports(both Indian and US) are with consulate because I already applied for OCI.I need to wait and see what they say

To the best of ever-changing knowledge:
#1. Yes - if the kids naturalized. If they were US born, they escape this fee.

#2. Apply now.
We are talking about spending another $920(2*$460) here to apply for kids natualization certificate on top of surrender fees which I need to pay to Indian consulate.
I can't even pay now since all my passports(both Indian and US) are with consulate because I already applied for OCI.I need to wait and see what they say.
#4. No idea.

I have some information to share.. Couple of days back I went to ICG-SF in-person and paid $175 for my pending OCI application. They accepted in the counter and within 45 Mins they provided the certificate of surrender. I asked them to include this proof to my OCI application. They did so.
They also asked the details about how I came to USA, I told them I do not have the copy of the GC, I gave copies of the very old passport that has my H1 Visa, they accepted.
The lady who was in the window first asked me, why you are coming to the CG office, we are sending email to OCI applicants about this 2 new requirements.

Saleem,
Thanks a lot. My OIC is also in the processing stage at SF. please take a min to clarify my doubts. I would go monday.
1. do you filli in the application and attach all requied copies ?
2. do you pay cash or money order
3. do you go to the consulate - or to the trvisa (outsourcing office) ?
4. Do take an appointment for this or walkin ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the filled application form, but they did not ask for it. I just told them I came to surrender the passport and I gave the passport to them, they asked me to pay $175 in the cash counter.
They gave receipt with the details and a certificate explaining I took US citizenship. The printed in my old indian passport cancelled with the reason and returned back to me.
They are accepting Money Order, Cashier Check or Debit Cards only.
I did not took any appointment, just walk-in to Consulate office.

Thank you very much. Going to check my luck monday.

I took the filled application form, but they did not ask for it. I just told them I came to surrender the passport and I gave the passport to them, they asked me to pay $175 in the cash counter.
They gave receipt with the details and a certificate explaining I took US citizenship. The printed in my old indian passport cancelled with the reason and returned back to me.

Salem,
When you applied for OCI,didn't you submit your Indian passport?The reason I am asking is,I applied for OCI along with Indian and US passports.If I go to consulate directly, I am not sure if they would be willing to search for my file and cancel the passport by taking money.

Do you think we should submit form for each applicant seperatelt including minors in family?

The printed in my old indian passport cancelled with the reason and returned back to me.
Can you please confirm below one.
Is the annotation in your cancelled Indian PP is :
'Passport cancelled as acquired US nationality' or any thing different now they are doing?

OCI not yet recd, upcoming travel

Online status shows dispatched on 05/13. We are leaving on 06/02. With Memorial day coming up, not sure if we have enough time to get the cards. Since passports are with the SF consulate, cannot even get entry visa (outsourced by the Consulate). Interestingly, they require renunciation form for visa.

Reading through this forum,seems they now have started requiring this for OCI too. We had not gotten our Indian passports canceled. I hope they don't introduce any additional delays in the process, already lost 2+ weeks because of supposed "name change" due to our US passports not having the middle names.

Will these new requirements apply only to new applications or existing ones also? Thanks for your inputs.

I was able to get my Indian passport from the window outside when I provided the online reg. number and identity.
Yes they printed 'Passport cancelled as acquired US nationality'
Yes you need to submit seperate applications for the passports

Has anybody received a e-mail like Salem said that the person at the counter told him? It looks like they will inform the people who are in limbo. We sent our applications before this new requirement showed
up. So technically SF consulate should inform us that they need our hard earned moolah through e-mail. But so far they have not done so.

Anybody got any communications from San Francisco Consulate?