OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Sending US Passports before documents reaching at CGI SF

Can I send original US passports for U-Visa and OCI now. Online status shows documents not yet received CGI SF but despatched from Delhi on 14 DEC 2009. I like to send the US passports even if the status is not changed. I am anticipating the status will change soon. The reason I want send now, we will be out on vacation for 10 days. If the status changes while we are out of town, it may cause delay in submitting passports. I appreciate if you have any suggestions and inputs.

Can I send original US passports for U-Visa and OCI now. Online status shows documents not yet received CGI SF but despatched from Delhi on 14 DEC 2009. I like to send the US passports even if the status is not changed. I am anticipating the status will change soon. The reason I want send now, we will be out on vacation for 10 days. If the status changes while we are out of town, it may cause delay in submitting passports. I appreciate if you have any suggestions and inputs.

Can't you wait? If you send them before you start vacation, you might get them back before your vacation is over. What if they are not delivered due to your vacation and you have to run around chasing them? Once you are back, you should be able to finish the stamping process in less than a week, so it is not a whole lot of days lost.

I think you are going to be delayed only by 3-4 days because of the holidays.
From the CGISF website:
Code:
The Consulate will remain closed on December 25, 2009 on account of Christmas Day

The Consulate will remain closed on January 01, 2010 on account of New Years Day

Kindly note that there will not be any delivery of documents on 24/Dec/2009 and 31/Dec/2009.

Even if you send it tomorrow, the earliest they will start working on it is Mon(28). The earliest I see them mailing out the passports/OCI back is on the 4th, which means you will get it on the 5th/6th. If you mail it on the 4th, you should have it back on the 11th or so.

Please send your docs with some sort of delivery confirmation. If you do not see your passports mailed within 2-3 days, send them an email - they respond really well.

Indian Passport Expiry Date

I have a question about the Indian Passport Expiry date. My wife's Indian Passport expires in May 2010. She may complete her interview sometime in Feb. Hoping that She gets her US Passport in Apr. Will it be fine to apply for OCI in May where her passport expiry date will be very close ?

I have a question about the Indian Passport Expiry date. My wife's Indian Passport expires in May 2010. She may complete her interview sometime in Feb. Hoping that She gets her US Passport in Apr. Will it be fine to apply for OCI in May where her passport expiry date will be very close ?

Expiration of her Indian passport is not relevant to OCI application process. OCI doesn't require a valid Indian passport, only a valid US one.

Once you acquire US citizenship/passport, your Indian passport automatically becomes 'invalid'. It makes no difference whether it's expired or not at the time you apply for OCI.

Did you see any update on your application after Documents Despatched from Delhi ?

Did you send your original US passport?

We have the following online status info:

Documents printing status: PRINTED
Documents printed on: 11-DEC-2009
Documents Despatched from Delhi on: 14-DEC-2009
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO: NOT YET

Since, we may have to travel in the next 2 weeks or so, we plan to mail the OCI application *without* the original US passports, original Indian passports, Original PIO card & the self-addressed USPS envelope. We plan to send these after our OCI applications are approved. Can someone please confirm that this is OK?

This is what we plan to send with the OCI application to the SFO consulate....

1) Two copies of Part A & Part B application forms -- for each applicant
2) Two - (2" X 2") - size photographs
3) Two self-attested photocopies of the second and last pages of the current US/ foreign passport
4) Two photocopies of the birth certificate of US/foreign born children. This should be attested by either of the parents.
5) Two self-attested photocopies of the first two and last two pages of the latest Indian passport.
6) Self-attested copy of PIO card (of the kids)
7) Postal money order of $ 275 per applicant ($145 per PIO applicant)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since, we may have to travel in the next 2 weeks or so, we plan to mail the OCI application *without* the original US passports, original Indian passports, Original PIO card & the self-addressed USPS envelope. We plan to send these after our OCI applications are approved. Can someone please confirm that this is OK?

3) Two self-attested photocopies of the second and last pages of the current US/ foreign passport
4) Two photocopies of the birth certificate of US/foreign born children. This should be attested by either of the parents.
5) Two self-attested photocopies of the first two and last two pages of the latest Indian passport.

I haven't yet applied for either OCI or a PIO, but based on what I read so far, I think the following is missing from the list above??

Pre-paid envelope or equivalent money.

Thanks,
speedy

I haven't yet applied for either OCI or a PIO, but based on what I read so far, I think the following is missing from the list above??

Thanks,
speedy

I was thinking of sending the pre-paid/self-addressed envelope when I send the original US & Indian passports. Is that fine?

I was thinking of sending the pre-paid/self-addressed envelope when I send the original US & Indian passports. Is that fine?

As I said, I haven't applied for OCI yet. May be other gurus in the forum can throw some better light on what to do.

Thanks,
speedy

-------------- After the OCI documents reach Indian consulate from Delhi then you have to send Indian passport for cancellation and US passport for U visa and at that time you can send pre-paid envelope or money so they send documents by mail. If you are going to collect the documents by going to Indian consulate then prepaid envelope or money order or bank certified check is not needed.

Thanks,
speedy

----------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

I checked with the Indian Consulate in SFO. They said that the original Indian passport needs to be sent with the application form, else they will reject the application. so, I plan to mail the OCI application *without* the original US passports and Original PIO card. I plan to mail the rest of the docs with the application form (inlcuding the pre-paid envelope).

I received this email from OCI SF, its really pathetic to see they can't even spare 80 cents,
its less than 1% of what each applicant pays.

================================================================
Since postal rates have gone up:

If you have already mailed in your self addressed prepaid Express envelope for $17.50, send in a postage stamp for 80 cents extra, since postal rates have gone up.

There is no need to send any extra stamp if an envelope of $18.30 has been sent in.

If sending in an Express envelope for the first time, send in a $18.30 envelope.

Mail your package to OCI Dispatch

Mention your file / registration number and name and box number: 3- Jan 07-2010

If we have your US passport, we will be sending out your passport soon after we receive your extra stamp of 80 cents/ an Express mail envelope of $18.30 postage.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

OCI TEAM
CONSULATE GENERAL OF INDIA
540 ARGUELLO BLVD
SAN FRANCISCO CA-94118
================================================================

Hi Jackinthe,

Did you receive your US passport back? I also recevied an email to send additional stamps. I mailed them last week. How did you contact the consulate? I'm travelling end of this week and wondering the options to get the passport by this weeek.

thanks,