OCI - San Francisco Tracker

I do not want nsapphire to feel bad, but let's bet on it. my suspicion is that the timelines are generally bad, and somehow this forum has got a 'random selection' of people who fall out of the normal curve. this is only for SFO.

if the application is not acknowledged till nov 13, there is still quite a bit of work to be done. i would not be 100% pessimistic though, IF his file gets pulled into the processing queue - it will move pretty fast.

I mailed my application to SFO on 10/10 and received my OCI card and passports with U visa on 11/9.

My OCI Time line at SFO so far

Same for me. The forum seems to have only outliers.

Visa.

Sent application to CGISF(without US passport) via USPS express mail- 11/13/09
application delivered - 11/14/09
Date Of Acknowledgment -11/17/09
Photo/signature Scanned ON - 11/17/09
Registration Granted On -11/17/09
Documents Printed On - 11/18/09
Docs dispatched from Delhi: *****
Received at San Francisco consulate :******
Received passports and OCI card/book : ******

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent application to CGISF(without US passport) via

Alright, alright. Let me revise my comments and say SFO is the outlier. Maybe some senior and experienced bureaucrat who is able to push through work. Or maybe they are overstaffed. However, this is very unusual compared to what is going on in other consulates or even in MHA.

Waiver of Signature

Alright, alright. Let me revise my comments and say SFO is the outlier. Maybe some senior and experienced bureaucrat who is able to push through work. Or maybe they are overstaffed. However, this is very unusual compared to what is going on in other consulates or even in MHA.

I have applied for OCI at SFO on Nov 13 WITHOUT US Passport and self address express mail envelope. I will be sending it once application status is reached to "Documnets Recieved at San Francisco".

Should I check Wavier of Signature on Self Addressed envelope so I can receive it mailbox even if nobody is there at home to recieve it ?

Has any body done this before to receive OCI card?

PIO vs OCI

Hi all:

My wife and I became US citizens on Nov 19, and we have applied for passport. I was comparing OCI vs PIO schemes at CGISF.org website and it says that PIO fee is $370 per adult whereas OCI fee is $275 per person.

Is this information correct, and if so, why would anyone want to apply for PIO which is more expensive and has an expiration date in comparison to OCI?

Hi all:

My wife and I became US citizens on Nov 19, and we have applied for passport. I was comparing OCI vs PIO schemes at CGISF.org website and it says that PIO fee is $370 per adult whereas OCI fee is $275 per person.

Is this information correct, and if so, why would anyone want to apply for PIO which is more expensive and has an expiration date in comparison to OCI?

You are already discussing this in another thread. Some people may not be eligible for OCI and might be allowed only as PIO.

Folks:

Here is the timeline for my wife and myself

Timeline:

N-400 applied: 07/31/2009
Oath completed: 11/19/2009

Passport applied at post office: 11/20/2009
Checks cashed: 11/24/2009
Online status on 11/27/2009: Passport has been mailed to us, expected to reach around 12/02/2009

We have a trip to India booked on 12/26/2009. Is there any chance that we can get OCI before that? Or is our only option to apply for visa?

Visa is the only option. It takes almost 30 days for OCI Process to be complete . To be on the safe side, better to get the visa. Enjoy ur vacation to india.

Folks:

Timeline:

Online status on 11/27/2009: Passport has been mailed to us, expected to reach around 12/02/2009

We have a trip to India booked on 12/26/2009. Is there any chance that we can get OCI before that? Or is our only option to apply for visa?

Folks:

Timeline:

If your passport arrives on 12/02/09 , The fastest time i've seen is abt 21 days, you can keep your documents, cashier's check etc ready & apply for it right away , you may be lucky to get it by 24th, if not go for visa on 24th.

My application was acknowledged yesterday and photo/signature were scanned today.
12/02/09: Photo/signature scanned
12/02/09: Registration : Granted
12/03/09: Printed
12/xx/09: Docs dispatched from Delhi
??/??/09: Received at San Francisco consulate
??/??/09: Received passports and OCI card/book

Documents at CGI(SF) today. I had not mailed my US PP earlier in case of travel. Had I known things would move this fast, I would have sent it along with the original app.

deeps0,
Wow.. .your tracker is really fast. Something very interesting about your tracker and I want to ask
- it appears there was just 1 WEEK after you sent that they acknowledged, scanned, approved and printed your OCI certificate. Is that true?
I was under the impression that they first SEND your application to India and in Delhi they approve and print the card. Is that not right?

There is no way if they receive application on 11/25, Delhi would receive it by 12/2 and approve everything in 1 day.
Have they changed their procedure and do they approve those in US?

deeps0,
Wow.. .your tracker is really fast. Something very interesting about your tracker and I want to ask
- it appears there was just 1 WEEK after you sent that they acknowledged, scanned, approved and printed your OCI certificate. Is that true?
I was under the impression that they first SEND your application to India and in Delhi they approve and print the card. Is that not right?

There is no way if they receive application on 11/25, Delhi would receive it by 12/2 and approve everything in 1 day.

new_LPR all is true, I see similar pattern for my wife sometime back in september, i saw SF consulate takes only 21 days.Don't get surprised if i get it before 21 days:D

My docs was dispatched from delhi on 12/04/09.
12/04/09: Docs dispatched from Delhi
??/??/09: Received at San Francisco consulate

This is how actual tracker shows.
Date Of Acknowledgment 02-DEC-2009
Application Status
Registration Status Granted On 02-DEC-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 02-DEC-2009
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 03-DEC-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 04-DEC-2009
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO NOT YET

My N-400 Timeline:

DO: San Francisco, CA
08/04/09 : N-400 Mailed to Phoenix
08/06/09 : N-400 recieved
08/06/09 : priority date
08/11/09 : Check Cashed
08/15/09 : NOA Received
08/17/09 : FP Notice Received
08/18/09: Walkin FP done
08/24/09: Received Yellow Letter
08/28/09: FP Date
09/17/09: Online status updated to "This case has been sent for a standard interview"
09/18/09: Interview Letter Received
10/29/09: Interview (recommended for approval)
11/03/09: Oath Letter recieved
11/19/09: Oath Date Completed
11/20/09: PP Applied (Expedited)
11/23/09: PP Received

deeps0,

Nothing physically ever goes or is sent to India. They scan all your documents in the US consulate and based upon that OCI is electronically approved in India. After the approval the OCI booklet and U-Visa are printed and physically sent from Delhi to your US consulate. Hence the whole process except the mailing from India to US can it theory be done in a couple of days.

Nothing physically ever goes or is sent to India. They scan all your documents in the US consulate and based upon that OCI is electronically approved in India. After the approval the OCI booklet and U-Visa are printed and physically sent from Delhi to your US consulate. Hence the whole process except the mailing from India to US can it theory be done in a couple of days.

Are you sure about this, or is this just a guess? When I went to MHA (where everything is processed), they had thousands of files stacked there in big bundles, and my recollection from talking to someone (not 100% sure) was that these were files from all over the world.

However, based on the speed of processing in SFO, it seems what you are saying is probably correct.

Both of these can not be true, hence, I am curious as to why you believe the above is the operational model.

Hi,
I was looking at the documents list for the family on the Indian consulate website and didn't get clear picture as the instructions are specific to single application. What documents should be submitted for myself & spouse and for the minor children? Any of you who had submitted the Application for family, can you please clarify? How many copies of Form A, Form B, what supporting documents for each of us etc?

Hi,
I was looking at the documents list for the family on the Indian consulate website and didn't get clear picture as the instructions are specific to single application. What documents should be submitted for myself & spouse and for the minor children? Any of you who had submitted the Application for family, can you please clarify? How many copies of Form A, Form B, what supporting documents for each of us etc?

Check this ...

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=227390

Usually, when you print Part A and Part B - the instructions are pretty clear - they provide an exhaustive list ... you just check it off for each person as to what makes sense.

Are you sure about this, or is this just a guess? When I went to MHA (where everything is processed), they had thousands of files stacked there in big bundles, and my recollection from talking to someone (not 100% sure) was that these were files from all over the world.

However, based on the speed of processing in SFO, it seems what you are saying is probably correct.

Both of these can not be true, hence, I am curious as to why you believe the above is the operational model.

That was my conclusion based upon speaking to a person from the OCI Cell in DC whom I happened to be introduced at a community event. Apparently the documents are scanned by the embassy/consulate in the US and then someone evaluates it in India. Some documents; which in my assumption is the OCI card and/or the U-Visa although I can't be certain on this, are then dispatched from India for the US. Its possible that all paperwork in eventually sent and probably warehoused in India (why would they want to waste the real estate space in the US considering the costs). So a part of my post was based upon direct input from him and the remaining was logically derived.

My docs was received at SF consulate on 12/10/09. (16 Days)
12/04/09: Docs dispatched from Delhi
12/10/09: Received at San Francisco consulate