OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Contact them by email. They are prompt in responding within a day. If email fails, just call them directly. They r good. Mailed last week with additional stamps.

Hi Jackinthe,

Did you receive your US passport back? I also recevied an email to send additional stamps. I mailed them last week. How did you contact the consulate? I'm travelling end of this week and wondering the options to get the passport by this weeek.

thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked with the Indian Consulate in SFO. They said that the original Indian passport needs to be sent with the application form, else they will reject the application. so, I plan to mail the OCI application *without* the original US passports and Original PIO card. I plan to mail the rest of the docs with the application form (inlcuding the pre-paid envelope).

No, they may not reject your application if you do not send passport with OCI application. If you follow their advice, it would be easy process. If you send the Indian passport or PIO cards with OCI appliction or immediate after that, the OCI card process would be faster.

Starting OCI application

I am beginning the OCI process for my wife, son, and myself (SF consulate). When I looked at the online application form, it gives me 2 choices. It asks, whether I want to apply as:

1) Individual or
2) Family group

Which one should we choose? Family group (option 2) seems to be the right one. Can experts please advise?

I am beginning the OCI process for my wife, son, and myself (SF consulate). When I looked at the online application form, it gives me 2 choices. It asks, whether I want to apply as:

1) Individual or
2) Family group

Which one should we choose? Family group (option 2) seems to be the right one. Can experts please advise?

Yes, choose the family option.

My timeline

12/26/2009 OCI Application mailed
12/28/2009 OCI Application delivered

1/7/2010 Date Of Acknowledgment
1/7/2010 Registration Granted
1/7/2010 Photo/Signature Scanned
1/8/2010 Documents Printed
1/11/2010 Documents Dispatched

1/15/2010 Passports mailed
1/19/2010 Documents Received at SF
1/19/2010 Passports received at SF
1/26/2010 Passports, OCI booklet received

Thanks hello_world. Very helpful information.
One question. Did the consulate ask you to send extra stamp of 80 cents as express mail rates have gone up? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The consulate asks for OCI fee to be paid by "Postal Money Order". Can anyone please advice whether this is something I can obtain only at the Post Office? In whose favour (i.e., what name) do we need to prepare the money order?

Thanks hello_world. Very helpful information.
One question. Did the consulate ask you to send extra stamp of 80 cents as express mail rates have gone up? Thanks

No, they didn't (have to). Because I didn't send the express mail envelope initially. I sent it along with my passports, and the rates had already gone up by then.

I obtained mine from the post office. It should be payable to “Consulate General of India, San Francisco”. Also the post office only accepts cash or debit cards to issue a money order, so make sure you have the necessary mode of payment.

I obtained mine from the post office. It should be payable to “Consulate General of India, San Francisco”. Also the post office only accepts cash or debit cards to issue a money order, so make sure you have the necessary mode of payment.

Thank you, I plan to go to post office in a day or 2 and send the OCI package in next week.

One other question for experts:

Should I send our US passports together with canceled Indian passports along with the application?

Thank you, I plan to go to post office in a day or 2 and send the OCI package in next week.

One other question for experts:

Should I send our US passports together with canceled Indian passports along with the application?

I didn't. I felt more comfortable sending them a few days after my docs had been dispatched from Delhi. I don't think it made any major difference in the overall scheme of things.

My Experience with OCI Process

Guys

I got my OCI (San Fransisco Office) last week. The whole process took about one month.

Despite various posts complaining about lack of clarity on filing instructions, I found the process to be very simple and stratightforward. Just follow the instructions (without hair splitting) and you will be fine.

Passport size photos for SFO

It is very confusing..Do we send just two photos (one affixed on PART A) or do we send 4 (two of them affixed on part 'A' ) and two of them separately...Did anyone just send only 2 photos (from costco) and got the acknowledgement? Also is the slightly bigger foto from costco okay?

This is what the SFO consul website says and Immihelp says 2 additional photos
* Two copies of Part A and Part B

* Two - (2" X 2") - size photographs

It is very confusing..Do we send just two photos (one affixed on PART A) or do we send 4 (two of them affixed on part 'A' ) and two of them separately...Did anyone just send only 2 photos (from costco) and got the acknowledgement? Also is the slightly bigger foto from costco okay?

This is what the SFO consul website says and Immihelp says 2 additional photos
* Two copies of Part A and Part B

* Two - (2" X 2") - size photographs
you will submit TWO A forms and on each A form you will pate one Photo. 2 A Forms two Photo pasted on EACH A form . you will attach Form B with Each A form. Extra 2 photo.
Total 4 photo (2 on A forms and 2 extra)