OCI - San Francisco Tracker

One CGI SFO receives the document, I need to send in the US passport. Assuming I just add a cover letter, my US passport and a envelop (with stamps) for them to send the documents back.. Anything else?

One CGI SFO receives the document, I need to send in the US passport. Assuming I just add a cover letter, my US passport and a envelop (with stamps) for them to send the documents back.. Anything else?

Just follow the instructions at http://www.cgisf.org/oc/Dispatch.html - note that the USPS rates have increased since this page was last updated. I myself used Express mail, but others have sent Priority Mail stamped envelopes and there have been no issues. Make sure there is a tracking number and note it down before you send them the envelope so that you can track it.

If your Indian passports have not been canceled send those also. You can use Priority mail for sending and return mail.

thank you...
I applied for our new born. It appears the processing is pretty fast vs 3month it took for mine last year.. I had 2 concerns. Photos from Costco and thumb print..
The application was acknowledged on Jun 10th and documents were printed on Jun 11th..
I am guessing they didn't have an issue with the photo and thumb print..
waiting for documents to be dispatched from Delhi..
Thanks again..

If your Indian passports have not been canceled send those also. You can use Priority mail for sending and return mail.

Is it possible to attach a tracking number and signature confirmation for return Priority mail? I thought the reason the consulate asks for Express mail is so that they can get a signature confirmation (as a proof that they sent your docs to you). If you send them a Priority Envelope for return then how can they be sure unless you have added signature confirmation to it?

Is it possible to attach a tracking number and signature confirmation for return Priority mail? I thought the reason the consulate asks for Express mail is so that they can get a signature confirmation (as a proof that they sent your docs to you). If you send them a Priority Envelope for return then how can they be sure unless you have added signature confirmation to it?

Sure. When you prepare the shipping label online or go to the post office to prepare your return envelope, you can always add the tracking/delivery confirmation services to Priority Mail service.

OCI timeline SFO

Mailed OCI via FedEx. : May 23
OCI app rcvd SFO CGI: May 26
App ack'd: May 28
Scanned: May 28
Granted: May 29
Printed: Jun 1
Dispatched from Delhi: Jun 2
Docs arrived at SFO: Jun 6
Sent US PP for stanping via FedEx: Jun 8
SFO received Jun 9
SFO stamped and sent PP FedEX: Jun 10
Receoved PP after stamp with OCI card: Jun 11

OCI Timeline

Scanned: Jun 11th
Granted: Jun 11th
Printed: Jun 11th
Dispatched from Delhi: Jun 15th
Docs arrived at SFO: TBD

OCI Dispatch question

Hello,
I have a question regarding the OCI dispatch process.

My OCI dates are as follows:

Mailed OCI via FedEx. : Apr 29
OCI app rcvd SFO CGI: Apr 30
App ack'd: May 09
Scanned: May 11
Granted: May 11
Printed: May 12
Dispatched from Delhi: May 15
Docs arrived at SFO: May 22

As per the instructions, I need to courier my US Passport and India passport. Earlier, I had already sent a courier with additional stamped envelope for sending the passports to me.

I had supplied all the necessary documents.

I was gone on a India trip from Apr30 –May 12. Hence, I could not send the US and Indian Passports to the SanFrancisco consulate in time.
The website ( http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp) says “Please contact the Mission/office after 10 days from the date of dispatch, or any date after the receipt of the documents at the Mission/Office, whoever is earlier.”

I am worried if it is ok to send the passports now since the docs arrived in SFO on 22nd May, and I am late by 2-3 weeks. My question is--- Will it be ok to send the passports for OCI stamp now? Is there a chance of getting the passports misplaced?

Thanks
-immi3

Hello,
I have a question regarding the OCI dispatch process.

My OCI dates are as follows:

Mailed OCI via FedEx. : Apr 29
OCI app rcvd SFO CGI: Apr 30
App ack'd: May 09
Scanned: May 11
Granted: May 11
Printed: May 12
Dispatched from Delhi: May 15
Docs arrived at SFO: May 22

As per the instructions, I need to courier my US Passport and India passport. Earlier, I had already sent a courier with additional stamped envelope for sending the passports to me.

I had supplied all the necessary documents.

I was gone on a India trip from Apr30 –May 12. Hence, I could not send the US and Indian Passports to the SanFrancisco consulate in time.
The website ( http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp) says “Please contact the Mission/office after 10 days from the date of dispatch, or any date after the receipt of the documents at the Mission/Office, whoever is earlier.”

I am worried if it is ok to send the passports now since the docs arrived in SFO on 22nd May, and I am late by 2-3 weeks. My question is--- Will it be ok to send the passports for OCI stamp now? Is there a chance of getting the passports misplaced?

Thanks
-immi3

There is no need worry - just follow the dispatch instructions and you'll be fine. There is no such thing as delay in collecting your OCI docs.

This query should have been posed to SFO Tracker thread - no need to start a new thread. I'll merge the two shortly.

Thanks akgarg for answering my question. I will be take care of putting any new question on the SFO thread. Since this is a running thread as of now, I am posting this question I have.

There seems to be a suggestion that they would send me an acknowledgement slip. I did not receive any. I do know the acknowledgement date from the OCI enquiry website.

Is something like an acknowledgement slip expected?

Also, I am just required to send the US passport right? I do not have any PIO card. Also, during my last indian visa application, my original indian passport was stamped with "CANCELLED" stamp.

Thanks
-immi3

Thanks akgarg for answering my question. I will be take care of putting any new question on the SFO thread. Since this is a running thread as of now, I am posting this question I have.

There seems to be a suggestion that they would send me an acknowledgement slip. I did not receive any. I do know the acknowledgement date from the OCI enquiry website.

Is something like an acknowledgement slip expected?

Also, I am just required to send the US passport right? I do not have any PIO card. Also, during my last indian visa application, my original indian passport was stamped with "CANCELLED" stamp.

Thanks
-immi3

I never received any acknowledgment slip when I applied for (and got) OCI. As long as online status says your docs have been received at SFO, it's OK to send your passport for final processing. If your Indian passport is already canceled, no need to send it now. Just mention that in your cover letter, if you want.

Hi All!

I am a US born citizen living abroad and am going to be in the US (Los Angeles) for 6 weeks this summer and am planning to apply for OCI (I am eligible to apply since my dad is a PIO card holder and is thus eligible to apply for OCI) from CGI SF once I get there. However, I am not sure if that is enough time to apply and obtain my OCI?

I am moving to India for a long term period after my trip to the US and am also wondering if getting a PIO card would be more beneficial than OCI given my time constraint?

Thanks,
Aditi :)

PP Photo question

I am sorry If I am posting the same question again. I honestly tried to search this forum but did not find anything decisive. I found some posts to use epassportphoto to take passport photos. Did anyone take their photo with a white background and got approved? Because the SF instructions just state lightly colored background.

Hi All!

I am a US born citizen living abroad and am going to be in the US (Los Angeles) for 6 weeks this summer and am planning to apply for OCI (I am eligible to apply since my dad is a PIO card holder and is thus eligible to apply for OCI) from CGI SF once I get there. However, I am not sure if that is enough time to apply and obtain my OCI?

I am moving to India for a long term period after my trip to the US and am also wondering if getting a PIO card would be more beneficial than OCI given my time constraint?

Thanks,
Aditi :)

Aditi,

Even though the most recent time line posted on this thread (http://forums.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=2060368&postcount=669) it took about 4 weeks for OCI processing to complete, it's possible that some cases may take longer (any issues with photos, etc. for example). Since you have a strict time constraint of 6 weeks, my advice would be go to India on a tourist visa and apply for OCI in India.

Thanks for the reply! I wrote an email to the Consulate at SF this morning and they replied promptly, saying that it will take 21 working days from the time I mail my application till I get my passport with OCI Stamp, whereas PIO will take 20 working days if I apply by mail or in person. They request that you send your original US Passport with the application to save time.

If I do decide to apply for OCI, I am planning to send the following documents:

• Two copies of Part A (ONLINE) and Part B
• 5 - (2" X 2") - size photographs
• Current US Passport in original. I will also send a Self Addressed Stamped USPS Express Mail Envelope for Returning Documents of $16.50 with the OCI Application itself.
• Two self-attested photocopies of the first and last pages of the current US passport.
• Two photocopies of my US birth certificate, attested by my parents.
• Proof of previous nationality - Since I am applying on the basis of my parents' origin, I will be sending notarized copies of my dad's last Indian passport, his school certificates, etc.
• Required Fees

Would all that be sufficient? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for the reply! I wrote an email to the Consulate at SF this morning and they replied promptly, saying that it will take 21 working days from the time I mail my application till I get my passport with OCI Stamp, whereas PIO will take 20 working days if I apply by mail or in person. They request that you send your original US Passport with the application to save time.

If I do decide to apply for OCI, I am planning to send the following documents:

• Two copies of Part A (ONLINE) and Part B
• 5 - (2" X 2") - size photographs
• Current US Passport in original. I will also send a Self Addressed Stamped USPS Express Mail Envelope for Returning Documents of $16.50 with the OCI Application itself.
• Two self-attested photocopies of the first and last pages of the current US passport.
• Two photocopies of my US birth certificate, attested by my parents.
• Proof of previous nationality - Since I am applying on the basis of my parents' origin, I will be sending notarized copies of my dad's last Indian passport, his school certificates, etc.
• Required Fees

Would all that be sufficient? Or am I missing something?

FYI, if you are a minor and your parents are still Indian citizens you cannot apply for OCI.

You only need 2 photographs 2 x 2" affixed to part A.

Express mail is not really required, you can use Priority mail as well. Both deliver the next day.

Your parents need not attest documents if you are over 18 years old; you can do it yourself.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying all that. I am well over 18, married and all that :), my dad is a PIO card holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Applied for OCI today. Sent by priority mail with express mail attached. Looks like everyone is getting in 1 month.