OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Hi,
I have completed online OCI application for myself with family to apply in SFO, but due to urgent travel for medical reason, I have to travel to India next week so I got tourist visa.
Can I use same online application and submit in India FRRO office in Mumbai? please let me know if this is ok, or do i need to create another application and submit it there in Mumbai.
SunR2I.

The application file number issued to you online is specific to SFO consulate (USASxxx). If you apply in Mumbai you need to re-create online application so that the correct file number is generated.

It shows the time in India, and hence the July 30th appearing before July 29th

M online status now shows - mailed from Delhi on 28th.
I plan to send my passport and the kids PIOs

Same dispatch date...hasn't reached SF yet. I've sent my passport with a return Express Mail envelope along with my application. Hopefully I'll get it early next week *fingers crossed*

Still waiting for my OCI. Consulate received on the 28th (Indian date 29th). They already have my passport and my express mail return envelope.

Hmm wonder how long it takes-I wonder if they respond to emails??

I received my passports and OCI card/booklet. Indian passport stamped cancelled and U visa on US passport. They mailed it yesterday and received today. This journey finally ends!

Sent to cgi SF :July 10th evening
USPS delivered July 13th
Acknowledged July 16th
Photo/signature scanned -July 17th
Printed: July 17th
Docs dispatched from Delhi:July 22
Received at San Francisco consulate : July 29th
Received passports and OCI card/book : Aug 1

Hi everyone, I am applying for OCI at Indian consulate in San Francisco. I am an indian born US Citizen.
I am sending in the following documents:

• Two copies of Part A (ONLINE) and Part B
• 3 - (2" X 2") - size photographs and 2 photos affixed on Part A each copy.
• 1 Self-attested Copy of the first two and last two pages of current US Passport.
• 1 self-attested photocopies of the first three and last two pages of the Indian passport.
• Self Addressed Stamped USPS Express Mail Envelope for Returning Documents of $16.50.

are these documents sufficient? am I missing anything?
Thank You all for help.

Hi everyone, I am applying for OCI at Indian consulate in San Francisco. I am an indian born US Citizen.

• 3 - (2" X 2") - size photographs and 2 photos affixed on Part A each copy. ONLY 2 PHOTOS ARE REQUIRED, THEY ARE TO BE AFFIXED 1 EACH TO PART A.
• 1 Self-attested Copy of the first two and last two pages of current US Passport. ONLY THE PAGES WITH YOUR PHOTO AND SIGNATURE ARE REQUIRED.
• 1 self-attested photocopies of the first three and last two pages of the Indian passport. OK.
• Self Addressed Stamped USPS Express Mail Envelope for Returning Documents of $16.50. DON'T SEND THIS NOW, SEND IT WITH YOUR US PASSPORTS FOR OCI STICKER. YOU CAN ALSO USE PRIORITY MAIL TO RETURN DOCUMENTS WITH IS MUCH CHEAPER AND TAKES SAME TIME TO DELIVER.

are these documents sufficient? am I missing anything? OF COURSE CHECK FOR FEES $275.
Thank You all for help.

• 3 - (2" X 2") - size photographs and 2 photos affixed on Part A each copy. ONLY 2 PHOTOS ARE REQUIRED, THEY ARE TO BE AFFIXED 1 EACH TO PART A.
• 1 Self-attested Copy of the first two and last two pages of current US Passport. ONLY THE PAGES WITH YOUR PHOTO AND SIGNATURE ARE REQUIRED.
• 1 self-attested photocopies of the first three and last two pages of the Indian passport. OK.
• Self Addressed Stamped USPS Express Mail Envelope for Returning Documents of $16.50. DON'T SEND THIS NOW, SEND IT WITH YOUR US PASSPORTS FOR OCI STICKER. YOU CAN ALSO USE PRIORITY MAIL TO RETURN DOCUMENTS WITH IS MUCH CHEAPER AND TAKES SAME TIME TO DELIVER.

are these documents sufficient? am I missing anything? OF COURSE CHECK FOR FEES $275.
Thank You all for help.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Any updates aditi or asdasd??????

Sent application to CGISF via USPS - July 22, 2009
application delivered - July 23,2009
Date Of Acknowledgment 30-JUL-2009
Photo/signature scanned -July 31st
Printed: July 31st
Docs dispatched from Delhi:August 3rd
Received at San Francisco consulate : ???????
Received passports and OCI card/book : ???????

I already mailed my passports and kids PIO cards last week, they were received at embassy on Monday.

The online status still shows that the documents from Delhi have not reached SanFrancisco... I am hoping to get my passport back sometime next week..

Received at San Francisco consulate : August 9th
Received passports and OCI card/book : ???????

Do we have to send passports i.e US passport and old Indian passport to the consulate with the application?

I am getting conflicting information. In some places I read that we have to send the passports since they stamp a lifelong visa on them. However, in the instructions, it says that we should attach copies of the pass port.

If we attach the copies, how is one going to get lifelong visa stamped on the passport?

Thanks,

Do we have to send passports i.e US passport and old Indian passport to the consulate with the application?

I am getting conflicting information. In some places I read that we have to send the passports since they stamp a lifelong visa on them. However, in the instructions, it says that we should attach copies of the pass port.

If we attach the copies, how is one going to get lifelong visa stamped on the passport?

Thanks,
You don't have to send original passport (US or Indian) when you send in your application, copies are enough. You will have to send original US passport for OCI visa and Indian passport for cancellation once your OCI is approved and documents are received at the SF consulate from India.

Thanks,
According to the cgisf website for OCI process

2. SUBMISSION OF US AND INDIAN PASSPORTS IN ORIGINAL:

In order to save dispatch time of US/foreign passport and OCI card, the applicants are requested to mail their passports in original along with OCI application. However, if the applicant is traveling or has any plan to travel while OCI application is in process, i.e. within 21 business days, kindly do not send US/foreign passport in original. Mail your US passport once the file number appears on http://www.cgisf.org/oc/granted_oci.html

I simply don't trust CGI to safely store my US passport for weeks while I await OCI processing decision.

People should act according to their own comfort level, but I don't have an issue with this. I recently got my OCI reissued (after US passport renewal) and I sent my passports (both old and new) along with the application itself. They kept them safe for 19 days and returned them to me with the new OCI card and visa sticker.

My OCI was granted on 24th July... And I have not received the passport yet..

Anybody granted OCI afer Jul 24th abd also recieved the passports

My OCI was granted on 24th July... And I have not received the passport yet..

Anybody granted OCI afer Jul 24th abd also recieved the passports

Grant date has no bearing on when you will receive your passport. If you online status says that the docs have been received at SFO and it has been a week or more since then, send them an email at oci@cgisf.org (obviously, include your file# and other details). They have been quite responsive to my email queries in the past.

Finally another process completed without any issues.

My timeline
Received at San Francisco consulate : August 9th
Received passports and OCI card/book : Aug 14th

After browsing through the many post in this forum, i was always wary that i might make some mistake and have to keep following up with the consulate especially with the photo's as many people had complained /enquired about it.

But finally the photo's which i took in costco (with white background) just worked fine even if they were 50mmX50mm (instead of the 35mmX35mm on the form)
Also used Priority mail instead of express mail for returning my passports

Also i sent my US and indian passport along with the application and not after it was dispatched to SFCGI,and they have returned both passports with the U visa(on the US passport) safely back to me (no thrust issues there).

A process which i once thought was confusing, looking back now, it seems so simple and hassle free if you just follow the instruction on the SF CGI website.

Last edited by a moderator: