OCI - New York Tracker

Thanks Ginnu. I will go there on Monday and see whats in my fate. I will update.

Go there as if you are investigative journalist. Listen what is going on, what they are doing and what is happening at OCI window and window for surrender certificate. You will also find many who don’t visit NYC web site and how the clerks at windows are reacting to them. Try to remember every detail as we need the latest bulletin from actual location.

Good luck!!!!

My wife is leaving for India in less than 3 weeks. She also has the OCI application pending. Given all that has happened over this new rule I just mailed in her Visa application to Travisa Outsourcing on Friday the 14th May. I included the surrender application form and original Indian passport and USA passport.

Every required document was notarized and I thought I did everything that was asked. Now I hear I needed to submit in triplicate!!!!

The website does not mention this.

I will keep you posted.

Also if you noticed the requirements around entry visa on the Travisa website it just asks for a copy of the naturalization certificate and not notarization.

Naveen

My wife is leaving for India in less than 3 weeks. She also has the OCI application pending. Given all that has happened over this new rule I just mailed in her Visa application to Travisa Outsourcing on Friday the 14th May. I included the surrender application form and original Indian passport and USA passport.

Every required document was notarized and I thought I did everything that was asked. Now I hear I needed to submit in triplicate!!!!

The website does not mention this.

I will keep you posted.

Also if you noticed the requirements around entry visa on the Travisa website it just asks for a copy of the naturalization certificate and not notarization.

Naveen
Only mistake on Travisa I see is that they ask the check on the name of “Consulate of India” But if one sends check to Indian consulate NYC they ask check payable to” Consulate General of India New York”. May be the NYC Consulate also takes the check/ money order payable to” Consulate of India”. I don’t think your wife will have problems because of copies as the Travisa or Consulate can make copies of they need.
You can call Travisa on Monday after 4-30 PM and they will let you know if they got Visa stamped and also ask them if the consulate sent” surrender certificate” with Passports.
I read on Travisa site that Former Indian Nationals can only apply for An Entry (X) visa
They have posted info that one need to registrar with FRRO in India
See the below link from India immigration and they dont say that with Entry (X )visa one need registration if stay is less than 180 days:
http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/

I think with Entry (X) visa no registration is required with the Foreigners Registration Officer in India if duration of his/her stay does not exceed 180 days on a single visit. When she lands in India she should check with Immigration /customs officer at Airport if she needs to go to FRRO for registration in the city where she is going to stay. In small city SP office or DC office or Police head quarter have FRRO clerks.
Did you sent Processing Service Fee of $13.00 +$100.00 in single Money order and Renunciation fee of $175 paid with a separate Money Order payable to 'Consulate General of India'?

Let us know the update on Monday evening if she got visa and what other documents Consulate sent back with passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people have asked details about my experience getting the visa. Here's the timeline:

Tue - submitted visa application at travisa office at 2:00 pm. Was expecting to get the visa back by wed

Wed - got a call from travisa about additional docs and fees required. It was too late for me to go and pay the fees the same day

Thu - submitted surrender form, fees and had my wife fax over naturalization cert. This was the older version of the form btw, since they hadn't put up the new version until later that afternoon. In the evening, I went back to the travisa office to see if they got back my visa, but no luck

Fri - went to consulate. Reached there around 9:45 and ther were about 50 people ahead of me in the line, but it was moving. Told the security guy that I was there to check the status of my visa. Was told to go to counter 1. Spoke to a woman there who told me she would check the status and I should check back with her in half an hour. Went back after some time, she told me to come back at 4:00 and said they'll try to help me out. Went back at 4:00 and the same woman told me that I would get the visa and asked me to wait. Was called at around 5:00 and they gave me my US passport, Indian passport stamped cancelled and the surrender certificate.

Former Indian citizens can only apply for Entry visa. They can no longer apply for Tourist Visa. The fees of course, are higher now.

Some people have asked details about my experience getting the visa. Here's the timeline:

Tue - submitted visa application at travisa office at 2:00 pm. Was expecting to get the visa back by wed

Wed - got a call from travisa about additional docs and fees required. It was too late for me to go and pay the fees the same day

Thu - submitted surrender form, fees and had my wife fax over naturalization cert. This was the older version of the form btw, since they hadn't put up the new version until later that afternoon. In the evening, I went back to the travisa office to see if they got back my visa, but no luck

Fri - went to consulate. Reached there around 9:45 and ther were about 50 people ahead of me in the line, but it was moving. Told the security guy that I was there to check the status of my visa. Was told to go to counter 1. Spoke to a woman there who told me she would check the status and I should check back with her in half an hour. Went back after some time, she told me to come back at 4:00 and said they'll try to help me out. Went back at 4:00 and the same woman told me that I would get the visa and asked me to wait. Was called at around 5:00 and they gave me my US passport, Indian passport stamped cancelled and the surrender certificate.
It means submitted the Visa application through Travisa and Collected directly from Consulate. did they not say that Collect only from Travisa and Visa is approved and you requested that you have to fly on sunday and Travisa will be closed.
** do you know if Entry (X) visa need registration with FRRO if stay is less than 180 days and person is Former Indian?
Thanks for update.

A couple pf Travisa guys were right there at the consulate when I went to pick up the visa. I guess the normal procedure is that they hand the passports to the Travisa guys and they take it to their office. So the woman at the counter actually handed over my passports to the Travisa guy at the consulate and I collected it from him. So technically, I did collect my passport/visa from Travisa, but just not at the visa office.

I don't think the Entry visa has any registration requirements -- not sure about this though.

Couple of questions regarding this "surrender certificate".

1. Do we have to submit expired Indian passports too ?
2. I see in this forum that we need to submit the XXII in three copies. Do we have to notorize all the three copies ? Since the application form runs into 2 pages, I presume the last page notorization is sufficient..

Appreciate any thoughts..

Couple of questions regarding this "surrender certificate".

1. Do we have to submit expired Indian passports too ?
2. I see in this forum that we need to submit the XXII in three copies. Do we have to notorize all the three copies ? Since the application form runs into 2 pages, I presume the last page notorization is sufficient..

Appreciate any thoughts..

If you have your Latest Indian valid Passport that is enough and no need of Expired passport.
Officially they have not posted on web to get Form Notarized but one of the people who talked to someone in NYC he/she said the need 3 copies. If I have to send then I prefer to send 3 Notarized copies with info on form. FYI if you download the form or save the form it is 2 pages and you can make one page with will full info. If you directly print it will have 2 pages and you may have to Notarize 6 pages and notary may not do 6 pages free. Many Library have also Notary and at one time they Notarize only 3 Pages . FYI if you apply Visa through Travisa they have also slightly different form and they don’t say that one MUST notarize the form (may be they have Notary in office) OR they have Info that one does not need Form Notarized or they are going to post one must Notarize. All are confused.

If you have your Latest Indian valid Passport that is enough and no need of Expired passport.
Officially they have not posted on web to get Form Notarized but one of the people who talked to someone in NYC he/she said the need 3 copies. If I have to send then I prefer to send 3 Notarized copies with info on form. FYI if you download the form or save the form it is 2 pages and you can make one page with will full info. If you directly print it will have 2 pages and you may have to Notarize 6 pages and notary may not do 6 pages free. Many Library have also Notary and at one time they Notarize only 3 Pages . FYI if you apply Visa through Travisa they have also slightly different form and they don’t say that one MUST notarize the form (may be they have Notary in office) OR they have Info that one does not need Form Notarized or they are going to post one must Notarize. All are confused.

They did mention about form to be notarized.. However, they haven't mentioned about 3 copies. I have shrunk the doc to a page (removing the redundant signature requirement) and so, it will be 6 pages of notarization for myself and my wife. If the notary officer won't do more than 2 or 3, I will just get one notarized and take additional 2 copies..

My stoty is, I already received my OCI but my wife's was in "not printed" status for a long time due to photo problem. I couldn't reach them at all. They also lost the photos I sent via certified mail. Anyway, finally her OCI is received @ NY but I cannot pick it up because of this new procedure !! Frustrating..

They did mention about form to be notarized.. However, they haven't mentioned about 3 copies. I have shrunk the doc to a page (removing the redundant signature requirement) and so, it will be 6 pages of notarization for myself and my wife. If the notary officer won't do more than 2 or 3, I will just get one notarized and take additional 2 copies..
--------------- you can do that .Notary will do 3 for You and 3 for your wife and that info is if you go to Public Library Notary, Bank Norary if you have account with them can Notary more than 3 copies at one time.
My story is, I already received my OCI but my wife's was in "not printed" status for a long time due to photo problem.
---------------How did she or you came to know that her OCI card is not printed at Delhi and it is due to Photo Problem? Did they sent any email or you called them to find out the problem?
I couldn't reach them at all. They also lost the photos I sent via certified mail.
Anyway, finally her OCI is received @ NY
----- did she sent the Photo again? To what address ? after getting the new Photographs how many days the NYC took to Scan ahain her Photographs and Signature? Did she sent only new Photographs or Pasted Photo on Copy of Online Registred Application Or she just took the OCI status page copy and Pasted her New Photo on OCI status page and sent to NYC. I am asking this info becasue one of my Friend is in similar situation. He applied for family of three, His spouse OCI is Reached NYC, His Child OCI is reached NYC. His status on OCI status page 20 days back was showing Photo/Signature Scanned on April 15, Granted XXX date and then after few days his Status on OCI status page does not have any info about Photo/Signature Scanned but he can see GRANTED. His wife and child Photo/ Signature were also scanned on April 15 then Granted then Printed then dispatched. He has sent 5-6 emails to Mrs Pushpa Kumar and also send Email to Mr Bajaj but nobody replied till date.
Can you suggest what he should do? or what your wife did after Photographs were lost and her OCI was pending?
Any help suggestions what to do in above situation will be highly appreciated as it seems similar case like your wife.
Thanks
but I cannot pick it up because of this new procedure !! Frustrating..
----------------

Guessing it would be a photo problem, I went there personally with 2 photographs. Checked with them on the status and confirmed that it was indeed some photo issue. They took the photos and in the next two days, I saw the status changed to " photo scanned".

Note that previously we can go there personally regarding OCI but it looks like they have changed the process recently....

Hi,

Do you know if "going there personally" is not allowed for only applying? Is in-person appearance allowed for getting the stamping when the decuments are received in NYC?

My OCI is shipped from Delhi, expecting to be received in NYC anytime now. I want to get it done personally.

My visa is also struck because of this "surrender certificate" mess up..

Guessing it would be a photo problem, I went there personally with 2 photographs. Checked with them on the status and confirmed that it was indeed some photo issue. They took the photos and in the next two days, I saw the status changed to " photo scanned".

Note that previously we can go there personally regarding OCI but it looks like they have changed the process recently....

Hi,

Do you know if "going there personally" is not allowed for only applying? Is in-person appearance allowed for getting the stamping when the decuments are received in NYC?

My OCI is shipped from Delhi, expecting to be received in NYC anytime now. I want to get it done personally.

you cannot go until the website says received documents at NY (still you cannot get it personally)- you can give a try by showing your travel plans but better prepare for apply entry visa with surrender certificate

Hi,

-----once OCI Reach NYC and they update the OCI status page that BYC got then take printout of OCI status+your Indian Passport+US passport and Visit Consulate and You will need. They did not say anything that they are going to mail(they posted few days back that OCI will be sent by mail only) You will need surrender certificate to Collect OCI or by Mail.

-------------------If OCI status page shows that OCI Reached NYC then take the Prinout and you need surrender certificate

----- I get PM from Person that got Visa and surrender certificate through Travisa in 7 days from sending the application. you need to send$ 113 by Money order for Visa fees and $175 for" Consulate General of India New York" + Form. Travisa has the Form on site and they did not say one need to Notarized the form. Better send the Form to Travisa that is on Consulate site that need to be Notarized. After reading your Post to know the updates I talked to Travisa Phone: (212) 754-9900 They seem to be confused like us the lady said send any Form that is on Travisa site or on Consulate site but they need the copy of Naturalization certificate . I think they know better than us for Visa stamping as they visit Consulate daily.
---- When did you sent Visa application to Travisa? When did Travisa application was recieved by Travisa ? Did you send $175 to Travisa for surrender certificate? what is update from Travisa?
----------------- the mess is created by Consulate I dont think Travisa has problems they need to submit what Consulate asks. Let us know about your case and that will help others.

you cannot go until the website says received documents at NY (still you cannot get it personally)- you can give a try by showing your travel plans but better prepare for apply entry visa with surrender certificate

Based on their website and couple of messages from the forum, seems like they have completely stopped any personal visits to the consulate regarding the OCI.

Life was better two weeks back - where we go in the morning , drop of the US passport, go back @ 12:45 and pick up the OCI card and the passport with U sticker !! Now everything is via mail only.. My (hopefully ) 3 weeks of agony starts now.. 2 for surrender certificate and 1 for getting OCI .. :(

Change in OCI status after Surrender Certificate

CAN ANYONE TELL what after receiving Surrender Certificate? What triggers OCI status to continue progressing? Do they proceed after We mail back Surrender Certifiace to OCI Cell? Thoughts?????

Received a call from the consualte this morning asking me to submit the renunciation documentation in order to get my OCI. Looks like they finally opened my mail that they received on 12 May. The lady did not know about my conversation with Mrs. Kumar and when I mentioned that and the fact that they should receive the rest of the docs sometime today she said they would "do the needful" as soon as they had everything. :) She acknowledged that they have my passports.

Timeline:

OCI dispatched - 29 Mar 10
Received at CGNY - 13 Apr 10
[Travelled out of the US]
Mailed Indian and US passports - 11 May 10 (Express mail)
Received at CGNY - 12 May 10 (USPS says item was signed for by M MANISHA)
Call from Mrs. Kumar asking for renunciation docs and fee mailed to her attn. - 14 May 10
Renunciation paperwork + USD 175 sent to Mrs. Kumar - 14 May 10
Call from consulate asking for renunciation docs - 17 May 10

Renunciation of Indian Citizenship - couple of clarifications

I received an email from Dr Anju Kumar today for 2 clarifications I had seeked. I am sharing here for everyone's benefit. If you already know it, please excuse me and ignore the post.
1. I was not sure if a separate application is needed for each family member, including minors. She clarified that a separate application is needed alongwith fee of $175 for each
2. As the minor does not have a naturalization certificate, I was not sure how to comply with the requirement on the form. She clarified that the copy of US Passwort will suffice.

Thanks.