OCI - New York Tracker

In CGI-NYC web site indicates different type form for XXII in OCI (FAQ)

OCI - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
41. Can a person renounce OCI?
Yes. He/she has to declare intention of renunciation in Form XXII to the Indian Mission/Post where OCI registration was granted. After receipt of the declaration, the Indian Mission/Post shall issue an acknowledgement in Form XXIIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
In CGI-NYC web site indicates different type form for XXII in OCI (FAQ)

OCI - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
41. Can a person renounce OCI?
Yes. He/she has to declare intention of renunciation in Form XXII to the Indian Mission/Post where OCI registration was granted. After receipt of the declaration, the Indian Mission/Post shall issue an acknowledgement in Form XXIIA.

That is for renouncing OCI, we are trying to renounce Indian Citizenship (so that we can acquire OCI)

Another clarification for regarding the surrender certificate of renunciation form

If I submit form XXII +US$175 + Indian passport+US$20 mail charges, I am not sure I will get surrender certificate.
Because of Name change in my US naturalization certificate, my name is not matched with Indian passport & form XXII. " HOW THEY VERIFY THE NAME CHANGE "
Is it require again to send name change court order copy along with above enclosure for surrender certificate.

Anyone will have a similar case and any idea for this.

Got the below mail: But I already collected my OCI. The whole OCI drama is getting crazy... this is exactly I anticipated from London OCI news..

Dear Applicant,

Please refer to your application(s) for the OCI status which has been received in the Consulate recently.

As you are aware, Consulate General of India, New York, receives a very large number of applications for OCI status. In order to deal with the heavy rush of applications in the past few months, we had constituted a task force and put in extra efforts to clear the applications. In fact, all OCI applications, which were received in the Consulate till April 30, 2010 and found to be complete, have been processed.

Meanwhile, the Consulate has received instructions from the Government of India that applicants for all services, including OCI/PIO applications (including those whose applications are under process or whose OCI documents have not yet been delivered) are required to submit a Surrender Certificate for cancellation of the Indian passport and renunciation of the Indian citizenship. Details are posted on our website: www.indiacgny.org. Kindly note that submission of Surrender Certificate is a mandatory requirement and the OCI/PIO applications can not be processed nor can OCI documents be issued without the aforementioned certificate. This is not applicable to the foreign-born children who never held Indian passports. However, their parents held the Indian citizenship in the past and they are advised to obtain the Surrender Certificate for future reference.

Kindly furnish the Surrender Certificate urgently so that further action on your OCI application/OCI documents can be taken by the Consulate.

We regret the inconvenience caused.

Assuring you of our best considerations.

With regards,

(Parmod Bajaj)

Consul

Consulate General of India, New York

Guys, finally I was able to talk to Mr. Bajaj today.

Here is what he said.

• There was some confusion about who needs to sign the form XXII, so CGI-NY is going to publish an updated form on their web site today.
  • Updated form XXII needs to be signed by two people, one is the applicant, and the other is the officer at CGI-NY counter
  • Renunciation declaration must be done in person at CGI-NY, no mailing business
  • CGI-NY is looking into other options to find if MHA allows renunciation declaration by mail, but for now it must be done in person. According to the current law acquiring and renunciation of India citizenship must be done in the presence of a judge or a consul.

Here is what he said.

• There was some confusion about who needs to sign the form XXII, so CGI-NY is going to publish an updated form on their web site today.
  • Updated form XXII needs to be signed by two people, one is the applicant, and the other is the officer at CGI-NY counter
  • Renunciation declaration must be done in person at CGI-NY, no mailing business
  • CGI-NY is looking into other options to find if MHA allows renunciation declaration by mail, but for now it must be done in person. According to the current law acquiring and renunciation of India citizenship must be done in the presence of a judge or a consul.

Alert - Website has an updated word document and which is little better than before
still no instruction about personal appearance

Renunciation of Citizenship of India - Details please

Hi,
Regarding this latest mandatory and requirement for all the OCI applicants, have few questions

1) Do we need one form for each indian passoport holder
2) Do we need to send seperate money orders for all applicants or can send one consolidated money order
for all the family members, as we do for OCI fee
3) How long might it take to get the surrender certificate

I know this is the latest thing being discussed, appreciate any kind of information on the regard.

Thanks
dkagc

Here is what he said.

Thanks for your information.
What about the third signature. ( Indian citizen with pasport copy)
I don't know any Indian citizen in my area ( PA-Allentown) and who will give copy of passport.
Do you please to check and confirm me that other than any body can sign.

Shall I post form XXII by this week or hold for further information.
Thank you in advance

Hi,
I recently applied for OCI for my family of 4.

OCI - CGI-NY
04/24/2010 :OCI Application - USPS Express mail to CGI-NY
04/26/2010 :Application Received by CGI-NY

I was expecting an acknowledgment, instead I got the email below. This validates that they need the Indian passport renunciation right away before they do anything. This applies to OCI as well as PIO. I guess I have to rush them the forms and another check! The letter they wrote does indicate that this is a new requirement posed by the Indian government. They do mention that all applications received before April 30, and are complete were processed. I fall in that category but have not received an acknowledgement yet. I hope I get it soon. Did any of you file for this renunciation? Is it just a matter of follwoing the instructions on indacgny.org website? Any help is appreciated. Do you write the USANI numbers and send this to the same place that I sent the OCI application?

---------------------------------------------------------Email I received regarding my application-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Applicant,

Please refer to your application(s) for the OCI status which has been received in the Consulate recently.

As you are aware, Consulate General of India, New York, receives a very large number of applications for OCI status. In order to deal with the heavy rush of applications in the past few months, we had constituted a task force and put in extra efforts to clear the applications. In fact, all OCI applications, which were received in the Consulate till April 30, 2010 and found to be complete, have been processed.

Meanwhile, the Consulate has received instructions from the Government of India that applicants for all services, including OCI/PIO applications (including those whose applications are under process or whose OCI documents have not yet been delivered) are required to submit a Surrender Certificate for cancellation of the Indian passport and renunciation of the Indian citizenship. Details are posted on our website: indiacgny.org. Kindly note that submission of Surrender Certificate is a mandatory requirement and the OCI/PIO applications can not be processed nor can OCI documents be issued without the aforementioned certificate. This is not applicable to the foreign-born children who never held Indian passports. However, their parents held the Indian citizenship in the past and they are advised to obtain the Surrender Certificate for future reference.

Kindly furnish the Surrender Certificate urgently so that further action on your OCI application/OCI documents can be taken by the Consulate.

We regret the inconvenience caused.

Assuring you of our best considerations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------End of Email-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your information.
What about the third signature. ( Indian citizen with pasport copy)
I don't know any Indian citizen in my area ( PA-Allentown) and who will give copy of passport.
Do you please to check and confirm me that other than any body can sign.

Shall I post form XXII by this week or hold for further information.
Thank you in advance

Based on what Mr. Bajaj said I was expecting to see only two sigantures on the updated form XXII, but it seems three signatures are there. I would get the third siganture by a friend or a parent who is still holding an Indian passport, and present a copy of their passport at CGI-NY counter. I am planning to go to CGI-NY next week. Not sure if they are going to give Surrender Certificate right there at the counter or ask us to come back in the evening; just to be on the safe side, I will take a print out of filled in form XXIII (aka Surrender Certificate) to the counter and see if they can sign it for me right there

I am at a loss as to what to do. My approved application arrived in NY today. What should I do. Is it worth it to show up there and try to talk to somebody there. Somebody please help.

I am at a loss as to what to do. My approved application arrived in NY today. What should I do. Is it worth it to show up there and try to talk to somebody there. Somebody please help.

I am in the same boat. My OCI is shipped on 5/10/2010 and is due any day now at CGNY. Please let me know what you plan to do and what you ended up doing and how it went. Thanks a lot.

This page dobdobdob.indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=136&key= clearly states that
The applicants may kindly send Form XXII, along with their Indian passport and fees of US$ 175/- by mail to the Consulate General of India, New York. It will be processed and due “Surrender Certificate” will be issued. This will facilitate processing of their OCI/PIO cards.
. So I am not sure why Mr. Bajaj said that the applicant has to be physically present at CGNY.

So, say, somehow you get this surrender certificate (in person, by mail, whatever). Do you need to send it along with teh US passports for OCi stamping? Or do you need to send it before?
The email that I got from Mr. Bajaj says

I can't believe the mess we are in. Why cannot they write clearly what they need and when the need it and how I would get it? Is it that difficult? May be they do not know themselves what they need (other than the money, of course ;))

I live in the NYC. So plan to go there either tomorrow or day after and see what can be done. Plan to take cash so hopefully I can pay and sort this matter out.

This page dobdobdob.indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=136&key= clearly states that
. So I am not sure ahy Mr. Bajaj said that the applicant has to be physically present at CGNY.

Mr. Bajaj did say they are trying to find out from MHA if renunciation can be done by mail; who knows, maybe they will allow it in a few days ...

For people like me whose application is not granted yet, they may not approve my case until I go through the surrender process, so I think going to CGI-NY could be the fastest way to start the ball rolling again.

For people like you with Granted, Printed, and Mailed OCI, its worth waiting few days to see if they allow it by mail, thats what I would do if I don't need the OCI immediately... just my thoughts.

I think they will allow it by mail in a few days or weeks, they are processing 200 OCIs per day at CGI-NY, doesn't make sense to call all of them to show up at counter when they are switching everything mail just to avoid crowds