OCI - New York Tracker

oci-april application

Indian consulate NYC generally doesn’t send Email that they have received your OCI application. May be you are lucky or they may have started it again (in past when OCI was started they were sending email and acknowledgement number by Email. I have not read in last 5-6 months that they got email that NYC received your OCI application.
If one sends email to Mrs. Pushpa Kumar then she replies “we are scrutinizing applications and your application will be acknowledged in 15 days” but many OCI applications received by NYC are still not acknowledged in 15 days and some are acknowledged in 15-20 days and few got acknowledged after 30 days. They are not consistent and no prediction can be made. If the email you got does not have acknowledgement number then it is NOT acknowledged. You must go to OCI Status page and write your online registration number and if that shows acknowledged on date… then your application is acknowledged.
Scrutiny simply means they are going to check the fees and the info on form, photographs and Copy of Indian passport, Proof of USA residency (DL or Utility bill copy) and copy of US passport. Clerk opens the packet and then checks the documents and they have Checklist and ticks if everything is attached and then somebody acknowledge it and later they scan

oci applied APR 5
APR 22- Email from commerce saying "We acknowledge receipt of your OCI application. It is under scrutiny. We will get back to you in case any deficiencies are noticed."

I have a similar situation too. Having a India trip end of May and the OCI app was going nowhere after the photo scanned. I wrote to Pushpa Kumar with the details and she said it would take one more week to send to Delhi and by first week of May the OCI will be here. And things started moving from next day. Not sure if it is a coincidence, but I just checked some other file numbers and they were moving too, so it is not any kind of special treatement. But it is better to write to them with your reference number and your upcoming India trip. You still have some time. Can you provide your timeline please?

Thanks for the update, browkenarrow. I have a India trip (leaving on 5/24/10) so just feeling nervous with the thing going so slowly...
With my photo/signature scan date 04/15...I think I am looking at another week for application granted and two weeks after that for the Documents to reach NY-CGI.

thanks brokenarrow. I did write to Mrs. Pushpa Kumar twice already. First time before my application was acknowledged and it was more then 3 weeks after they recvd the app. And I received the generic reply from her saying it would take 30 days for acknowledgement and 30 days after that. I wrote another email last week but I did not receive any reply.

OCI Miscellaneous Services(After issue of New Passport)

OCI Misc. Application Mailed: 4/7/2010
Delivered to CGI, NY: 4/9/2010

Anyone applied around first week of April, 2010 seen acknowledgements by CGI, NY?

Received an e-mail acknowledging the receipt of OCI(not updated online, atleast not yet!). Interesting, CGI,NY never sent any e-mail communication when I applied for OCI the last time. Looks like they have improved their customer service.

Did you also cc cg@indiacgny.org and dcg@indiacgny.org and write them the itenary. I think you are within the time frame and and cutting it close. The proble is they are doing the processing by batches.

thanks brokenarrow. I did write to Mrs. Pushpa Kumar twice already. First time before my application was acknowledged and it was more then 3 weeks after they recvd the app. And I received the generic reply from her saying it would take 30 days for acknowledgement and 30 days after that. I wrote another email last week but I did not receive any reply.

Did you also cc cg@indiacgny.org and dcg@indiacgny.org and write them the itenary. I think you are within the time frame and and cutting it close. The proble is they are doing the processing by batches.

Yes, I did cc both CG and DCG. I think I will write back again next week.

OCI Application - Family (Myself and my Wife)

Applied for OCI at CGI, NY.

Receieved email acknowledgement and says the applications are under process.
BIG SURPRISE FROM CGI,NY......:eek::eek::eek:
:)

sent OCI Application by Express Mail USPS : 8th April 2010
received by CGI, NY : 9th April 2010
Acknowledgment (received email from CGI,NY) : 22nd April 2010

Pehaps, it did work. She responds well, god bless her. Better to write to her again with the details of your upcoming trip. Also I noticed that once the process gets out of the Photo scanned limbo, the rest of the steps follow quicky. I sincerely hope that you get yours before the travel date.

Congratulations brokenarrow! That was quick, perhaps your email to Mrs. Pushpa Kumar did work. She is a God send/blessing for NY CGI and for Indian diaspora in NY jurisdication!

Pehaps, it did work. She responds well, god bless her. Better to write to her again with the details of your upcoming trip. Also I noticed that once the process gets out of the Photo scanned limbo, the rest of the steps follow quicky. I sincerely hope that you get yours before the travel date.

Thanks! I will write back to her again in the next week.

My son has an Indian visa valid for 5 more years on his previous US passport (expired). Should I get the visa cancelled now that I have OCI for him?

pb74: just out of curiousity I look at the first file number (acknowledged) in the morning and end-of-day I check for the last number. so after my app was acknowledged there were on an average 125 apps acknowledged each day (except holidays).

Sorry, I am still not clear how do you find out the first/last acknowledged file number. Maybe I am not looking at the right website, maybe I don't know how to use it. This is what I am using : https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

Sorry, I am still not clear how do you find out the first/last acknowledged file number. Maybe I am not looking at the right website, maybe I don't know how to use it. This is what I am using : https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
info posted by PittsfieldMA does not seem to be accurate I dont think NYC acknowledge 125 OCI applications per day. Do you think that NYC gets about 40000 OCI per year?? How does PittsfieldMA gets the info what was the first file number acknowledged? They dont post that USANIXXXXXXX is the First file acknowledged on April 23?

Last edited by a moderator:
info posted by PittsfieldMA does not seem to be accurate I dont think NYC acknowledge 125 OCI applications per day. Do you think that NYC gets about 40000 OCI per year?? How does PittsfieldMA gets the info what was the first file number acknowledged? They dont post that USANIXXXXXXX is the First file acknowledged on April 23?

FYI: Check this numbers XXXX008164XX and XXXX008316XX for file numbers.
And then check XXXX008163XX and XXXX008317XX.
Let me know what you find.

Hi Folks,
I am just applying for OCI for myself and my family (spouse and two kids). I have followed the instructions and some of the adice on this thread and about to send stuff by USPS. Just have a few things if anyone has a perspective:

1) One of my children is 12 and the other one just turned 18. I checked with Mr Prabhu at the consulate, and he said it would be o.k to include the 18 year old. Anyone has faced any issues as technically he is not a minor?
2) Is the cover letter generic? Is it even needed?
3) I have been a US citizen for a while, have the 10 year Visa so travel often to India. Kids are born here (I am just including their passport and birth certificate). Ofcourse my Indian citenship, proof of residence etc. are with my part of the forms.
4) The compelling reason to apply for OCI is because I have to travel to India twice within 60 days. Due to the new rules and restrictions of travel within 60 days, OCI is the way out. I was planning to apply for it anyway but this accelerates it. My first trip is early July. What are the chances that I will get the OCI before that? The second one will be late August, I am hoping before that my OCI is done. The first trip can be on my tourist Visa.

Please let me know if anyone has a perspective or things I need to watch out for? Appreciate your help.

Note: Mr. Prabhu was very helpful. I was even surprised that I got him on the phone.

Well that information is accurate.

OCI assigns a serial number to each valid application which is acknowledge by them.
This is called "File No" to your application. http://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

So the acknowledge number starts with USANXXXXXX10
USAN -> Code for New York OCI
XXXXXX-> Acknowledgment No. which is a serial number starts with "0000001"
10 -> I believe this is for the year "2010"

Today (23 April) OCI first acknowledged file number was USAN00831710
And last acknowledged file number was USAN00857310
257 files were acknowledged today.
Since begining of this year till date they have acknowledged 8573 cases

Hope this helps

Thanks mike_inus for taking the time.

My app acknowledged on Apr 21st. Does this mean the documents are ok?

Cut & Paste from website:
Application Status
Registration Status
UnderProcess
Documents Printing Status
NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI
NOT YET

Mailed OCI app on 04/16/10.
Got email from NY on 04/20/10.