OCI - New York Tracker

Hello Kprajan

How did it go ?
Please share your experience

Very smooth. :)

I managed to reach there by noon and dropped off my US passport and the printout of the receipt sheet. (i had already cancelled my Indian passport.)

Was asked to come back between 1.30 and 2.

They had some technical issues and couldn't give it out until close to 2 pm. But once they resolved it, the process went smoothly. Each of us just walked up to the counter and informed our last name and the individual looked into his pile and gave back the US passport that had a new indian visa stamp and a small booklet (similar in size to the passport) that was the actual OCI. Barely took a minute at the counter.

Felt very happy and relieved!

Best of luck to everyone. Don't get discouraged by the slow pace. To put it in perspective, think of how long the GC process went and this might be not seem that difficult. :)

Very smooth. :)

I managed to reach there by noon and dropped off my US passport and the printout of the receipt sheet. (i had already cancelled my Indian passport.)

Was asked to come back between 1.30 and 2.

They had some technical issues and couldn't give it out until close to 2 pm. But once they resolved it, the process went smoothly. Each of us just walked up to the counter and informed our last name and the individual looked into his pile and gave back the US passport that had a new indian visa stamp and a small booklet (similar in size to the passport) that was the actual OCI. Barely took a minute at the counter.

Felt very happy and relieved!

Best of luck to everyone. Don't get discouraged by the slow pace. To put it in perspective, think of how long the GC process went and this might be not seem that difficult. :)

It will help others if you provide the info:
What time you joined the line at Indian consulate NYC?

What time you reached Window to give your US passport for US visa stamp?

Updated signature. Documents received at NY on 04/16/2010. Spouse will be going into NY to pickup the documents in person.

Updated signature. Documents received at NY on 04/16/2010. Spouse will be going into NY to pickup the documents in person.

Congratulations NJGirl75!

I know picking the documents in person is the best way but if someone does it by mail how many days does it take?

If anyone has done it before (sent passport by mail to NY-CGI and received it back via mail) please let us know your experience. thanks!

Finally ....Immigration Journey over...

All,

Received stamped passports today.Finally ...the journey is over.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences...Special thanks to Ginnu for taking time to answer a lot of questions.

Good luck to you all.

Congratulations NJGirl75!

I know picking the documents in person is the best way but if someone does it by mail how many days does it take?

If anyone has done it before (sent passport by mail to NY-CGI and received it back via mail) please let us know your experience. thanks!
It took 2weeks by post.

Unfortunately my OCI process is not a smooth ride so far
Mine got acknowledged on March 29th and changed to Scanned only on April 13th
and not sure why this delay? not to mention that I got acknowledged only after 3 weeks of initial apply

Dear BostonCool,

I think that your process is going at its normal pace. Please dont get concerned about this time frame. Ours took about 42 days from the date our papers were received at NYCGI. It took almost the same number of days for mygc69 and kprajan for the OCI to reach NYCGI from New Delhi. From the information you have given, you should receive your papers well before 12th May.

Very best wishes.

Dear BostonCool,

I think that your process is going at its normal pace. Please dont get concerned about this time frame. Ours took about 42 days from the date our papers were received at NYCGI. It took almost the same number of days for mygc69 and kprajan for the OCI to reach NYCGI from New Delhi. From the information you have given, you should receive your papers well before 12th May.

Very best wishes.

Thanks Pal and good luck for BrokenArrow

OCI app mailed yesterday (Friday, Apr 16).

Is this the right URL to check status?
https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
------That is correct link. check after 15-20 days at consulate takes time to open the packet then they have to Acknowledge.
I did not find anything that will email me the status.
-----NYC will not email the status to you.
Let me know if there is such a thing. I know I am expecting a lot :)

------

Hello,

Once the OCI is granted and documents received at CGNY, if we were to send the passports for stamping through Express mail the address to send the documents is:

OCI Cell
Consulate General of India
3 East, 64th Street
New York, NY 10065

Question: How would the processing cell understand whether we have sent a new application or documents for stamping? Do we need to include any information on the mailing envelope to indicate the same?

I wanted to understand from anyone who had sent the passports in mail for stamping. Thanks for your response and time.

Reply from 1Alex March 14 suggestion

I was born in Goa India under portuguese jurisdiction until 1961, and left India with a portuguese passport in 1955. Currently I am a naturalized US citizen and hold a valid US passport. I need to obtain a certificate of naturalization for OCI application as I never had an indian passport in the past.
Would like to know : 1. How and where (specify) can I obtain the certificate of naturalization?
2. Is there any lawfirm or agency who takes care of this ?
Thank you.

Thank you very much Ginnu for your suggestions regarding my case
have tried to contact the Indian consulate ,but I am getting nowhere
have copies of the indian passports of my parents and wanted to know if that would be enough or if I required anything else regarding other documents
Let me know if can use your expertise in resolving this problem

Thank you very much

1alex

------Did you cantact Mr. P.K. Bajaj
Consul (OCI) & Head of Chancery? his email is:
hoc@indiacgny.org

have copies of the indian passports of my parents and wanted to know if that would be enough or if I required anything else regarding other documents

Thank you very much

1alex

If you have Copies of your parents Indian passports then attach the copies of Indian passport of your parents and that is the proof of eligibility for OCI on the base of parents born in India or being Indian Citizen.

http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=174

. The applicant must satisfy the following criteria in order to be eligible to apply for OCI Status:

If the applicant or one of the applicant's parents or one of the applicant's grandparents was a citizen of India after January 26, 1950.

If the applicant or one of the applicant's parents or one of the applicant's grandparents belonged to a former territory (Goa, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Sikkim and Pondicherry) that became part of India after August 15, 1947.

If the applicant or one of the applicant's parents or one of the applicant's grandparents was eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of commencement of the Constitution of India on January 26, 1950.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Once the OCI is granted and documents received at CGNY, if we were to send the passports for stamping through Express mail the address to send the documents is:

OCI Cell
Consulate General of India
3 East, 64th Street
New York, NY 10065

Question: How would the processing cell understand whether we have sent a new application or documents for stamping? Do we need to include any information on the mailing envelope to indicate the same?

I wanted to understand from anyone who had sent the passports in mail for stamping. Thanks for your response and time.
You will send your US passport+ Indian passport+ online status printout in the envelope+$20 Bank Cashier Check (if not sent earlier). Out side the envelope you can write in big bold letters: OCI reached Indian consulate, sending passports for U visa stamp and for OCI card. Others can also guide you if they send passports by mail.

Thank you very much

1alex

1alex, my wife's case got approved under similar circumstances. She was born in England and her parents were Indian citizens at the time of her birth. Pertinent to your question, we submitted:

1. Her British birth certificate establishing the Indian ancestry
2. Her mom's expired Indian passport (she was entered as a child with her name, birthdate etc. but wasn't required to)

We did not get in touch with the consulate before applying since the basis of granting an OCI is pretty evident.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI Miscellaneous Services(After issue of New Passport)

OCI Misc. Application Mailed: 4/7/2010
Delivered to CGI, NY: 4/9/2010

Anyone applied around first week of April, 2010 seen acknowledgements by CGI, NY?