OCI - New York Tracker

Should I NOTORIZE AS WELL?
A

with Part A you will attach Part B and Copy of US passport, Copy of your Indian passport (attach the front 2 pages and the page that has your father/mpther/wife name) On pages of US passport and pages of Indian passport you will write"TRUE Copy" and will Sign and date with name. **Dont forget to attach Copy of your DL and other Utility bill.

unexpired indian passport

Many thanks ginnu... ur a life saver!

Also, i have an unexpired indian passport. Should I mail it wiht the OCI application package as well.

Arjun

NY states that they need notarized copy of PIO.
http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=175&partid=100&sub=sub4
Are you folks sending notarized copy of PIO, or parent-attested copy of PIO?

Also, are you sending the application fees and mailing fees in a single money order, or different ones? Mine is a application for 3 members (2 naturalized US citizens and 1 PIO), and I am wondering if I need to send 4 MOs of $275, $275, $145, and $20 or send one of $715? TIA.

NY states that they need notarized copy of PIO.
http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=175&partid=100&sub=sub4
Are you folks sending notarized copy of PIO, or parent-attested copy of PIO?

Also, are you sending the application fees and mailing fees in a single money order, or different ones? Mine is a application for 3 members (2 naturalized US citizens and 1 PIO), and I am wondering if I need to send 4 MOs of $275, $275, $145, and $20 or send one of $715? TIA.
You can send single check of $695 for all and can send $20 when OCI reach consulate and when you mail the US, Indian passports. You can send $715 one single check (make the copy of check and keep for your records)

For PIO holder send the Copy of PIO notarized and also send copy of child birth certificate.

Her OCI at this time is NOT Granted,Printed,Dispatched from Delhi and not reached NY See the below steps for OCI:
OCI Acknowledged:
OCI Scanned:
OCI Granted:
OCI Printed:
Documents Dispatched:
Documents Recvd in NY

once Her documents Reach Indian consulate then she need to take online Status prinout and she can go to NY Indian consulate with online status Printout+US passport and her Indian passport.

Ginnu,

This was very helpful and much appreciated.

NDP

Status changed to printed..

Status has changed to printed today. How long does it take to get NYC from printing? Should I send the passports after documents received here or should I send now?

Date Of Acknowledgment On 16-MAR-2010
Registration Status Granted On 02-APR-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 24-MAR-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED On 05-APR-2010

ML Date :2/27/10 ( FedEx economy)
RCVD Date:3/4/10
ACK date :3/16/10

My personal experience for OCI.

My documents reached to NY CGI on 5th March 2010. and I send my Passport for stamping on 5th Mrach 2010 and they also received on 8th .
But up to the 25th I did not received my passport or any update . So I Contact VCOCI@indiacgny.org Pushpa Kumar but no reply though I received the read receipt. ON 26th once agin email but no reply received my read receipt. I called on 27th no answer. on 28th morning send once again email but change to cg@indiacgny.org in to and cc to vccgi@indicacgny.org. Once again received read receipt from Both Consulate General & VC OCI Puspha Kumar. But with in 4 minutes I received answer from VC OCI about the status of stamiping. And after an hour or so I received my Express Mail Tracking Number to and received passport on 29th morning.
Same thing work for My friend to as he just send one email with this paten and he got back his passport in 24 hours or receiving at Mission office at NY.

So Bottom line If you want to communate with Consulte General In New York.

Send copy to cg@indiacgny.org ( Consulate General's Email )each communication.
You will get prompt answer and correct Information immediately.

Hope this inforamtion will helpful to get infomation promptly.

Last edited by a moderator:
So really, the NY consulate is pretty good, and only a few people have problems? With my luck, I will end up being one of those few :(

Hi,

Posting my timeline.

Background: My first OCI application in Oct 09 was returned for name change; there wasn't any but the issue was that I had my initials expanded in my Indian passport (taken 20 yrs ago during my high school when I applied it on the spur) whereas my first name in every other doc - other than US immigration certificate - was always initials; though my US immigration certificate had my initials expanded, the US passport has my first name as my initials as per my application.

I tried explaining and resubmitted with dozens of docs but the embassy called me to say that it was still a name change and wanted me to get a court order for name change.

Later in Feb, I resubmitted the entire application as a new application (new USANI #) but now with my initials expanded and voila! it seemed to have worked based on what I see on the NIC website. And get this - the website has my first name as my initials!:confused: Go figure!

OCI resent: Feb 3, 2010
OCI received: God knows...I was flustered and sent it as third class mail. :)
OCI Acknowledged: Feb 24
Registration Granted: Mar 6
Photo/Signature Scanned: Feb 25
Docs printed/dispatched: Mar 9
Docs recvd at NYCGI: Mar 16

Thanks to my desi experiences, I still don't believe the above and will accept it only when I have the OCI on my hand ;)

btw - I don't remember sending two sets of ID for proof of address.

Good luck everyone!

Interesting. My Indian passport has only my first and last name, and my (now) middle name as an alias (with the @ symbol before it). When I apply for my US passport, should I leave out my (now) middle name in case the Indian consulate doesn't accept it (even though the same middle name is written as an alias in my passport)?

I resubmitted my application on March 1 and it was received by NYC India consulate on March 2nd (my Application was sent back after 5 weeks and reason on Checklist was not including two proofs of USA residency)

Resubmitted : March 1, 2010
Received: March 2, 2010
Acknowledged: April,5

Photo scanned for myself and the kids. My spouse application status is still under process. Her photo had a white background. I wonder what they are upto now ......

My wife's status changed to photo scanned. I wrote a mail today to Mrs Pushpa Kumar and there was no response; not sure if it helped.

Hi,

Posting my timeline.

Background: My first OCI application in Oct 09 was returned for name change; there wasn't any but the issue was that I had my initials expanded in my Indian passport (taken 20 yrs ago during my high school when I applied it on the spur) whereas my first name in every other doc - other than US immigration certificate - was always initials; though my US immigration certificate had my initials expanded, the US passport has my first name as my initials as per my application.

I tried explaining and resubmitted with dozens of docs but the embassy called me to say that it was still a name change and wanted me to get a court order for name change.

Later in Feb, I resubmitted the entire application as a new application (new USANI #) but now with my initials expanded and voila! it seemed to have worked based on what I see on the NIC website. And get this - the website has my first name as my initials!:confused: Go figure!
Update according to sequence is:
OCI resent: Feb 3, 2010
OCI Application received at Consulate: God knows...I was flustered and sent it as third class mail.
OCI Acknowledged: Feb 24
Photo/Signature Scanned: Feb 25
Registration Granted: Mar 6
Docs printed/dispatched: Mar 9
Docs recvd at NYCGI: Mar 16

Thanks to my desi experiences, I still don't believe the above and will accept it only when I have the OCI on my hand ;)

btw - I don't remember sending two sets of ID for proof of address.
------Before FEB ,10 they were not asking two Proofs of USA residency and I know about OCI case that was sent 3 or 4 Feb and they approved it and not asked DL or Utility bill copy. They started it later
Good luck everyone!

----

OCI RCEIVED

Mailed on: 02/22/10
Received by NYCGI on: 02/23/10
Photo/signature scanned on: 03/08/10
Granted on: 03/10/10
Printed on: 03/23/10
Mailed on: 03/26/10
Reached NYCGI on: 04/03/10
Collected fron NYCGI on: 04/05/10

The process was efficient. The gentleman who collected our passports was very courteous. The Indian passports were returned immediately after cancellation. Dropped our passports at 09:45AM with printouts of OCI enquiry form; Went there at 12:45pm. There was slight delay in delvering. By 01:15pm, we received our OCI cards and visa stamped US passports. I have to say that the whole process was smooth and efficient.