OCI - New York Tracker

I just got email from one of my friends who sent his Family OCI application to NYC in January first week 2010. He got his Pakage back from Indian consulate NYC . They have attached check list and has marked that He did not submit 2 PROOFS of USA RESIDENCY(he sent copy of his DL). If you go to NYC website it only says attach proof of USA home address. From the Checklist it seems they need TWO documents like Utility bill copy, DL copy or any other proof like Bank statement. They did not post on website that one needs Copy of TWO documents for Residence in USA. The Check list is dated February first week. It means that even if they checked the documents they did not call or send email to him for any missing document. He lost about 2 months. This is New York Indian consulate and how they work.

Did your friend mail with DL (orginally?) and still got rejected? I did the same just mailed the DL copy as only proof
how do anybody know that they need two forms of identification?

Did your friend mail with DL (orginally?) and still got rejected?
------- He wrote to me that he sent copy of DL. I dont know if he sent only front or back of DL or sent any other document.
I did the same just mailed the DL copy as only proof
how do anybody know that they need two forms of identification?
----That is on Checklist that one gets when they return it. the info i am posting is based on email info and I have not seen the Checklist. Others who got back documents can clear your confusion
------ It seems this is new requirement is from MEA or MHA Delhi to all Consulates.

thanks - did your friend send the DL proof after their request or very first time
----Forget about my friend or email from somebody and I am not going to ask more info from him for you. be concerned about your OCI process.
Jeez - i Hate to be so silly and picky

If you feel that they may also sent your documents back because of the Proof of residency in USA then sent the copy of two documents and on cover letter write your Name and USANIXXXX and request them to attach with OCI file documents. Do your work and dont give me work of asking somebody if he/she attached DL copy or what was attached and what was not attached and when was attached, if that was color copy Or black and white copy and copy taken on what kind of paper, did he/she took copy at home or from where they made copy or copy was clear or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you feel that they may also sent your documents back because of the Proof of residency in USA then sent the copy of two documents and on cover letter write your Name and USANIXXXX and request them to attach with OCI file documents. Do your work and dont give me work of asking somebody if he/she attached DL copy or what was attached and what was not attached and when was attached, if that was color copy Or back and white copy and copy taken on what kind of paper, did he/she took copy at home or from where they mady copy or copy was clear or not.

Yep that's what I did yesterday - you were right on target and believe me my intention is never to take any advantage with your tips Cheers

Folks,
I have a question. Can they send papers back asking for 2 copies of "proof of address" even after acknowledging the application? The reason I am asking is, my application has been acknowledged and I don't remember enclosing 2 copies of "proof of address".

Thanks in advance....

Folks,
I have a question. Can they send papers back asking for 2 copies of "proof of address" even after acknowledging the applicat
The reason I am asking is, my application has been acknowledged and I don't remember enclosing 2 copies of "proof of address".

Thanks in advance....
You sent the OCI application Jan 19. I know about a case that was sent on 21 and they send the papers back. May be your file was seen by different BABU others who are getting documents back are seen by different Babu.

I think they may not ask for documents from you as they sent to Delhi and acknowledged. Two documents requirement seems to be new from NYC India consulate or may be requirement fro MEA or MHA. If you feel that they may ask then send then TWO copies of Utility bill, and DL and write your name and USANIXXX number and request them to attach with OCI file if they need.

You sent the OCI application Jan 19. I know about a case that was sent on 21 and they send the papers back. May be your file was seen by different BABU others who are getting documents back are seen by different Babu.

I think they may not ask for documents from you as they sent to Delhi and acknowledged. Two documents requirement seems to be new from NYC India consulate or may be requirement fro MEA or MHA. If you feel that they may ask then send then TWO copies of Utility bill, and DL and write your name and USANIXXX number and request them to attach with OCI file if they need.

Thanks Ginnu.

Is it 2 copies each of 2 proof's of address or 2 copies of 1 proof of address?

Also, when applying for minors as part of the same application, what is the proof of address?

Is it 2 copies each of 2 proof's of address or 2 copies of 1 proof of address?

Also, when applying for minors as part of the same application, what is the proof of address?

They are asking TWO copies of Proof of Residency in USA. Make copy of DL and Copy of other utility bill and then send other Copy of DL and Utility bill. It seems 2 Sets of Two Proof of Residency in USA like you send two sets of form A+attachments.

They are asking TWO copies of Proof of Residency in USA. Make copy of DL and Copy of other utility bill and then send other Copy of DL and Utility bill. It seems 2 Sets of Two Proof of Residency in USA like you send two sets of form A+attachments.

How about for kids applying in the same package, do we need to include copies of all the documents, including parent passport copies again with the applications of the children, or the fact that they already have pio/the photocopies are included as part of the application for the parents is sufficient.

How about for kids applying in the same package, do we need to include copies of all the documents, including parent passport copies again with the applications of the children
---------Yes. If the child has PIO then Pat A of Child+ Notarized Copy of OIO card, Copy of his/ her Birth certificate+parents Indian passport copies(make two sets for each child ) and on Form B .
, or the fact that they already have pio/the photocopies are included as part of the application for the parents is sufficient.
-----Why take chance? send more then asked.
-------

Here are my revised timelines

OCI App Status
01/19/2010: Mailed January 19th
01/21/2010: received by consulate
02/18/2010: Acknowledged
02/23/2010: Photo/Signature Scanned
03/03/2010: Documents Printed
03/05/2010: Documents Dispatched
??/??/2010: Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI

OCI - Send Indian Passport/Attest child documents

Hello, I got my naturalization in November 2009 and US passport in December 2009. I am applying for OCI (with spouse and 2 US born minor kids) at New York Consulate.

1) Should I send my Indian passport (that I have for me and my spouse which are not cancelled) with the application? It is not very clear to me.

2) Should copies of supporting documents for my minor kids (birth certificate, US passport) be attested or notarized? Can I self-attest them on the kids behalf?

Thanks!
Zack

I mailed the application to NY consulate. The USPS is showing that it was forwarded. I am positiove I put the right adress and also mentioned boldly "OCI Application". Is this a problem or is it normal. Please share your ecperiences.

Here is the message from USPS...

Your item was forwarded to a different address at 11:25 AM on March 5, 2010 in NEW YORK, NY 10032. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

I mailed the application to NY consulate. The USPS is showing that it was forwarded. I am positiove I put the right adress and also mentioned boldly "OCI Application". Is this a problem or is it normal. Please share your ecperiences.

Here is the message from USPS...

Your item was forwarded to a different address at 11:25 AM on March 5, 2010 in NEW YORK, NY 10032. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

I mailed to this address and it was NOT forwarded for me but I believe things might have changed
The OCI Cell,
Consulate General of India,
3 E., 64th Street,
New York, NY 10065.

I mailed to this address and it was NOT forwarded for me but I believe things might have changed
The OCI Cell,
Consulate General of India,
3 E., 64th Street,
New York, NY 10065.
The info posted by brokenarrow( Tutta Hua Teer) is for date March 5, 2010. when was your application recieved at NYC?

Hello, I got my naturalization in November 2009 and US passport in December 2009. I am applying for OCI (with spouse and 2 US born minor kids) at New York Consulate.

1) Should I send my Indian passport (that I have for me and my spouse which are not cancelled) with the application?
--------Yes, COPY of Indian passport. when OCI reach NYC then you need to send Indian Passport and US passport and they will stamp Indian passport"cancelled"
It is not very clear to me.

2) Should copies of supporting documents for my minor kids (birth certificate, US passport) be attested or notarized? Can I self-attest them on the kids behalf?
---------- Birth certificate copy cant be notarized. send the Birth cerificate copy and US passport copy you can write" True Copy " and sign write (mother or Father of child A or B and write also your name.
Thanks!
Zack
---------