OCI - New York Tracker

I have sent the Certified Bank check and today I asked my bank if that particular check has been cashed by Indian consulate New York and Bank informed me that my casher check has not been cashed by Indian Consulate New York till date.

I have sent OCI application to Indian consulate New York January 20 and consulate received on 21. Not acknowledged on OCI status page. I write the Number that was printed on Online form A that start with USANIXXXXXXX.
I attached what was asked and I just want to know if they need some paper or it is late from Delhi.Should I call the NYC? do you see the problem?Suggestions needed what I should do

My timeline:
Application Status: Mailed January 20th, received by consulate January 21
Acknowledged: NOT YET
Registration Status: NOT YET
Photo/Signature Scanned NOT YET
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

As sanjoseaug20 has posted wait for next week and if no update then send emails, fax to them. Regarding Fees Check I don’t know if they deposits Bank check when file reach Indian consulate New York Or After the document is scanned in Delhi. Others can post the info.

As sanjoseaug20 has posted wait for next week and if no update then send emails, fax to them. Regarding Fees Check I don’t know if they deposits Bank check when file reach Indian consulate New York Or After the document is scanned in Delhi. Others can post the info.

Did you write just your A# or the whole family?

I have sent the Certified Bank check and today I asked my bank if that particular check has been cashed by Indian consulate New York and Bank informed me that my casher check has not been cashed by Indian Consulate New York till date.

I have sent OCI application to Indian consulate New York January 20 and consulate received on 21. Not acknowledged on OCI status page. I write the Number that was printed on Online form A that start with USANIXXXXXXX.
I attached what was asked and I just want to know if they need some paper or it is late from Delhi.Should I call the NYC? do you see the problem?Suggestions needed what I should do

My timeline:
Application Status: Mailed January 20th, received by consulate January 21
Acknowledged: NOT YET
Registration Status: NOT YET
Photo/Signature Scanned NOT YET
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

Did you write just your A# or the whole family?
OCI applications dont need A#. A# is for USCIS not for OCI. you go online the form ask if it is for "Family or "Individual" . one can fill the online form and then print the form and number will be on the Form that will start with USANI.......... One need that number to check OCI status.

Sorry. what I meant was USANI #. Do we need to write all the 4 numbers for a family on the cashier's check on the back?

OCI applications dont need A#. A# is for USCIS not for OCI. you go online the form ask if it is for "Family or "Individual" . one can fill the online form and then print the form and number will be on the Form that will start with USANI.......... One need that number to check OCI status.

Sorry. what I meant was USANI #. Do we need to write all the 4 numbers for a family on the cashier's check on the back?
write the name of primary on check. on cover letter explain that one check of fees is for all 4 persons of FAMILY and write the names of 4 and USNI..... numbers.

I just got email from one of my friends who sent his Family OCI application to NYC in January first week 2010. He got his Pakage back from Indian consulate NYC . They have attached check list and has marked that He did not submit 2 PROOFS of USA RESIDENCY(he sent copy of his DL). If you go to NYC website it only says attach proof of USA home address. From the Checklist it seems they need TWO documents like Utility bill copy, DL copy or any other proof like Bank statement. They did not post on website that one needs Copy of TWO documents for Residence in USA. The Check list is dated February first week. It means that even if they checked the documents they did not call or send email to him for any missing document. He lost about 2 months. This is New York Indian consulate and how they work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got email from one of my friends who sent his Family OCI application to NYC January first week 2010. He got his packed back from Indian consulate NYC with his certified check and they have not cashed it. They have attached check list and has marked that He did not submit 2 PROOFS of USA RESIDENCY. If you go to NYC website it only says attach proof of USA home address. From the Checklist it seems they need TWO documents like Utility bill copy, DL copy or any other proof like Bank statement. They did not post on website that one needs Copy of TWO documents for Residence in USA. The Check list is dated February first week. It means that even if they checked the missing document they did not call or send email to him for any missing document. He lost about 2 months. This is the latest News bulletin from New York Indian consulate and how they work.

I mailed my application on Jan 28, it was received by the consulate on Jan 29. I have been checking status online to see if it has been acknowledged. Just got my application back in today's mail for the exact same reason - THEY NEED PROOF OF USA RESIDENCY. It was not listed in the application checklist. I just lost 4 weeks. I will be mailing my application back tomorrow again and will keep my fingers crossed :-(

I mailed my application on Jan 28, it was received by the consulate on Jan 29. I have been checking status online to see if it has been acknowledged. Just got my application back in today's mail for the exact same reason - THEY NEED PROOF OF USA RESIDENCY. It was not listed in the application checklist. I just lost 4 weeks. I will be mailing my application back tomorrow again and will keep my fingers crossed :-(

So this is the latest bulletin from Indian consulate New York. If you applied for family then send the copy of Driving license (front and back), Copy of electricity bill, copy of Bank statements, telephone bill. Send TWO copes of each document or RESIDENCE PROOF OF USA. If your spouse also applied with you attach DL copy any utility bill copy on his name and make TWO copies of each.

***something seems to be wrong with NYC Babu who check the documents and playing the tricks for delay. Why they dont post on website what documents they need. you should send Fax to Ambassador Prabhu Dayal and I asked my friend to do the same. If they get 4-5 fax with same problem then Vice consul (OCI) may be asked why this is happening and the vice consul may ask his/her BABU.

Good Luck!!

Actually they have posted it on NY consulate website. But they must have some transition period. This is stupidity. I just missed sending my application without proof of address/residency.

==================================
The OCI application consists of Part A and Part B. Part A should be completed online through Online Registration at www.mha.nic.in (Ministry of Home Affairs' site). Part B should be completed by typing the required information or writing in capital block letters with black or blue ink. The computer will assign a Reference Number. Retain this reference number as it would be required when submitting the OCI application at the Consulate.

11. Documents to be attached with the OCI application:

a) Application with Reference Number (USANI….) (original + 1 signed copy)

b) One photo on each form and two additional photos (2 inch X 2 inch)

c) Two copies of US Passport (Identification pages only)

d) Two copies of cancelled Indian Passport (First 3 pages and page with parent’s names)

e) If Indian Passport is not available then Naturalization Certificate.

f) Evidence of relationship with parent/grand-parent (if their Indian origin is claimed as basis for OCI).

(Documentary evidence of self or parents or grand-parents for being eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of commencement of the Constitution of India (on 26th of January,1950; or belonging to a territory that became part of India after August 15, 1947).
The acceptable documents are: (i) Self-attested copy of the Indian passport; or (ii) Copy of the domicile certificate, issued by the competent authority in India.

g) Certified cheque, banker’s cheque, postal or money order for US$275 for each application (US$145 for each PIO card holder). No personal cheques are accepted.

h) Proof of residence in U.S.A (Utility bill/bank statement/Drivers’ License)

i) In case of change of name, addition or deletion in a part of name (if it differs in cancelled Indian passport and present U.S. passport), document proving name change from competent authorities.

j) PIO card holders should submit a copy of their PIO card.

k) Application from non-US passport holders must include copies of cancelled Indian passport and legal status documents in USA (Green Card/ Visa status).

l) Applications are to be sent by Express Mail only.

Actually they have posted it on NY consulate website. But they must have some transition period. This is stupidity. I just missed sending my application without proof of address/residency.

==================================
The OCI application consists of Part A and Part B. Part A should be completed online through Online Registration at www.mha.nic.in (Ministry of Home Affairs' site). Part B should be completed by typing the required information or writing in capital block letters with black or blue ink. The computer will assign a Reference Number. Retain this reference number as it would be required when submitting the OCI application at the Consulate.

11. Documents to be attached with the OCI application:

a) Application with Reference Number (USANI….) (original + 1 signed copy)

b) One photo on each form and two additional photos (2 inch X 2 inch)

c) Two copies of US Passport (Identification pages only)

d) Two copies of cancelled Indian Passport (First 3 pages and page with parent’s names)

e) If Indian Passport is not available then Naturalization Certificate.

f) Evidence of relationship with parent/grand-parent (if their Indian origin is claimed as basis for OCI).

(Documentary evidence of self or parents or grand-parents for being eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of commencement of the Constitution of India (on 26th of January,1950; or belonging to a territory that became part of India after August 15, 1947).
The acceptable documents are: (i) Self-attested copy of the Indian passport; or (ii) Copy of the domicile certificate, issued by the competent authority in India.

g) Certified cheque, banker’s cheque, postal or money order for US$275 for each application (US$145 for each PIO card holder). No personal cheques are accepted.

h) Proof of residence in U.S.A (Utility bill/bank statement/Drivers’ License)

i) In case of change of name, addition or deletion in a part of name (if it differs in cancelled Indian passport and present U.S. passport), document proving name change from competent authorities.

j) PIO card holders should submit a copy of their PIO card.

k) Application from non-US passport holders must include copies of cancelled Indian passport and legal status documents in USA (Green Card/ Visa status).

l) Applications are to be sent by Express Mail only.

****They are asking TWO copies of Utility bill/bank statement/Drivers’ License. If you have not attached they will send the documents back to you back.

My documents are also returned and received today. Cashier Check and all documents are in envelope and Checklist at top. The reason is same Residencey proof of USA documents. 5 weeks are wasted. Now I have to send again on Monday with Proof of Residency in USA.

My documents are also returned and received today. Cashier Check and all documents are in envelope and Checklist at top. The reason is same Residencey proof of USA documents. 5 weeks are wasted. Now I have to send again on Monday with Proof of Residency in USA.

Did you attach atleast one proof of residency? did they still reject ?
I send only one proof (as per their website) so I may get the stuff back after 5 weeks I guess

Thanks for reply.

So for the second child( who never hold Indian passport,but both parents were Indian at the time of childs birth) should I fill the previous citizenship question in OCI form-B as "Indian" ?

Thanks for reply.

So for the second child( who never hold Indian passport,but both parents were Indian at the time of childs birth) should I fill the previous citizenship question in OCI form-B as "Indian" ?

Logically you have to say N/A but given the present situation you may say "American by birth"

Did you attach atleast one proof of residency? did they still reject ?
I send only one proof (as per their website) so I may get the stuff back after 5 weeks I guess
where on website they say that one gets suff back in 5 weeks?
I did not attach copy of my DL or any USA utility bill. I was not aware that they need 2 copies of proof of residency in USA.
If one is not staying in US then how they send back the documents to the address in USA?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reply.

if the child was born in US then you will fill "US citizen" and attach the copy of child birth certifiate.