NSC / St. Paul ( MN) timeline

St. Paul (MN) DO Interview Done!

:)

All,

After a nearly two year long wait I finally had my N400 Interview today (Nov 18 at 8AM). It went very well and lasted ~20 minutes.

I was ushered into the IO's chamber at 8:00AM. A very pleasant lady officer went over all the items in the application. Since it was filed so long ago, there were a few changes (office address change, completion of my MBA, additional trips etc.). She was very happy that I had come prepared with the changed info in the application (I had filled out the sections in the N400 with the changed information and printed them out to hand to the IO at the interview).

A few things she studied in greater detail:

- my recently expired passport - she went through some of the pages looking at the entry/exit stamps. I had 11 trips in all but none over 6 months and a total time outside of only 202 days. She didn't ask me any questions though.

- she asked me about the discrepancy in my Birth Certificate (my name appears in my Indian BC only as A. Pxxxx whereas the full name should be Axxxxxxxxxxx Pxxxx. So I supplied her two affidavits - one each from my mother and my aunt certifying my full name in lieu of the incomplete name on the BC. I'm so glad I had these affidavits with me.

- on one of my previous passports my first and last names were reversed - I told the IO about this (when she asked about any other names used) and also mentioned I have it corrected now in my new passport. She said that was fine and shouldn't pose any problems.

- she asked to see the letter from the Selective Services (maybe only because I told her I had one :). It was not actually needed - I just happened to have it so she kept a copy. I had made copies of everything so she was extremely pleased that it was saving her time.

- she did ask about traffic tickets - I told her about the two I have - no documentation was needed. She made a note of it.

Aside from this, she found among my "affiliations", some arts groups in Minneapolis so we chatted about this. She said she might come see me perform someday :) (I play the Indian drums, the Tabla, semi-professionally, with a few arts groups in town).

The civics/history exam itself was a breeze - I got fairly easy questions. I was done after I got the first six right. After I read and wrote the english sentences as asked, she handed me a letter stating "you have been recommended for approval" and said the oath letter would be coming your way in 2-3 months. Looks like the St Paul DO is backed up a bit these days.

One thing I should mention: when it came time to sign the N400 and the pictures, I had to sign on the N400 using the full name (no initials or abbreviations allowed). On the pictures though, she gave me the option of signing like I normally do (e.g. when writing checks). So that felt good since this means my normal signature would now also go on the Naturalization Certificate (you have to sign those just like you signed the pictures and my pictures have my normal signature).

Anyway, thanks to this board for the many many useful tips and suggestions. I couldn't have been better prepared. I'm glad I had all the supporting documents today at the interview; else who knows how much more delay the process would have entailed.

So far so good ... Now, another wait ensues for the oath letter.

Cheers,

AP

Congratulations!

Did you mention about your traffic tickets when filling out your N400 form?

Thanks

Congratulations!

Did you mention about your traffic tickets when filling out your N400 form?

Thanks

Thanks Haasan.

Nope, I had not mentioned it on my N400 (since the language in the instructions is confusing). Anycase, they do want you to mention ANY tickets and simply make an annotation on your N400 at the time of the interview. If the fines are less than $500 and no drugs or DUI is involved, then no documentation is required.

AP

Thanks for your speedy response, Tabaliya.

In other words, you had answered "No" to all Questions 15 thru 21 - Section 10-D, right?

I am confused with the word "cited" in the N400 form in the above sections. I had received a parking ticket with a penalty of $50 (which I had paid). If I am right, sometimes a parking ticket is called as a parking citation. So, I just wanted to make sure, if I would need to mention this while filling the N400, in the above section.

Also, what do you mean exactly by "annotation" during the interview? Do we need to divulge about the tickets ourselves or would we need to specify the details only when the officer asks for it?

Thanks!

In other words, you had answered "No" to all Questions 15 thru 21 - Section 10-D, right?

I am confused with the word "cited" in the N400 form in the above sections. I had received a parking ticket with a penalty of $50 (which I had paid). If I am right, sometimes a parking ticket is called as a parking citation. So, I just wanted to make sure, if I would need to mention this while filling the N400, in the above section.

Also, what do you mean exactly by "annotation" during the interview? Do we need to divulge about the tickets ourselves or would we need to specify the details only when the officer asks for it?

Thanks!

I had answered all those questions "No". While going through those questions with me, she asked about arrests, charges and convictions (to which the answers were all "No") and then specifically asked "any traffic tickets or violations (those exact words)" to which I responded by saying "Yes - I have two - one a stop-on-red violation ($140 fine and paid) and another a speeding warning (no fine)". This is all the response that was needed. She made a note of it on the N400 on top of the question writing "Traffic tickets only - paid". And that was the end of it.

Parking tickets are non-moving violations so don't bother with those. I had plenty of those in the past but didn't mention any. They are only looking for "moving violations (speeding, accident, jumping red light etc)". It is best to disclose those - there should be absolutely no issues as long as no DUI or drugs are involved and the fine is under $500.

AP

Thanks!

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it if your citation is fined $50. It has been discussed several times on this forum. Cited means that you have citation tickets including parking citations and traffic citations that are issued by lawful enforcement officers. Some people answered yes on the form, but didn't have to disclose the documentation. only bring proof to the interview. that's what I did. Instructions on the N-400 is not very clear so don't worry too much about it as long as the citation ticket(s) are non-dwi/dui ticket and less than $500 fine. so you can answer "yes". It doesn't mean your n-400 is not approved. The officer wants to see if you paid fine or not. Be aware: the officer won't approve your case until the ticket is paid up. If you answer "no" on the form, you can explain it to the officer during the interview if you are asked.

In my opinion, your parking tickets are not traffic citations. so say no to the form.. but if you are asked, just tell the officer that instructions is not clear and say that you have ticket and you have proof that you paid the fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tabliya - I am glad to learn that your interview went well. All the best and welcome to the queue of folks waiting for their oath letter.

I found out that oath ceremonies up to the end of the year are full. No more oath invitations are being sent for this year.

Tabliya - I am glad to learn that your interview went well. All the best and welcome to the queue of folks waiting for their oath letter.

I found out that oath ceremonies up to the end of the year are full. No more oath invitations are being sent for this year.

Thanks Haraputta!

Glad the interview is behind me - I waited for TWO YEARS for that!

So I'm used to waiting! :D

I'm oping my oath would be in January (if not, then definitely in Feb).

Fingers crossed at this point!

AP

Shouldn't your handle then be Tabalchi? :)

I have been asked this many many times before. Perhaps you are not aware of this, but, the term Tabalchi, is considered (mildly to very) derogatory :eek: (depending on who you talk to) in musical circles in the Indian subcontinent. The term is largely out of use now. The more "accepted" and "respectable" terms today are Tabaliya, Sitariya, Sarangiya etc.

Do not make the mistake of addressing a Tabla player by the term Tabalchi! :eek: You might not recieve very friendly vibes from him/her. :D

Tabla players used to be treated as second (or third class) citizens way back in the past and Tabalchi was a reference to the occupation (which did not enjoy the same social status as that of a vocalist or Sitarist, for example). And the discarding of the term has to do with the changed (and ever changing) status of the Tabla player.

Think of this: calling someone who washes people's clothes for a living as "Dhobi". The term Tabalchi is considered by many Tabla players to be just as disrespectable. Some insist on being referred to as "Tabalji" (the "ji" being the honorific suffix) but this is not in common use since it is not very different sounding from Tabalchi.

Just a little "Tabla and Society 101" info. :)

Hope that helps.

AP

Well, my Urdu stems from Purani Dilli so you can imagine that derogatory terms are well know to me!!!

Anyway, I hope you did not think I was being offensive, I wasn't :)

Perhaps you are not aware of this, but, the term Tabalchi, is considered (mildly to very) derogatory :eek: (depending on who you talk to) in musical circles in the Indian subcontinent.

I received my oath letter today after a wait of about 3 months. It looks like St. Paul office is backed up with applications ready for Oath proceedings.

tabaliya,
My ID was aday before yours so it looks like we might be scheduled for the same oath date. Please keep me posted when you receive you OL. I will also keep you posted when I recieve my OL. as of now it looks like it will be in January 09 probably January 20th with the inauguration date!

tabaliya,
My ID was aday before yours so it looks like we might be scheduled for the same oath date. Please keep me posted when you receive you OL. I will also keep you posted when I recieve my OL. as of now it looks like it will be in January 09 probably January 20th with the inauguration date!

Sure will do. I was told by the IO that 2-3 months wait would be standard. It could be sooner, but they couldn't give me a better timeline.

AP

Minneapolis/St.Paul Oath timelines

Here is the timetable for 2009 oath ceremonies:
http://www.mnd.uscourts.gov/2009_naturalization.shtml

Maybe I am jumping the gun here. But I have my interview scheduled for 4th June. And looking at the oath ceremonies for Minneapolis and St.Paul. Looks like there's only June 10th and June 15 that are close. But since they are so close to my interview and I believe there is quite some backlog here, I am afraid I will most probably not be scheduled for oath in June.

The next available slot is September 2nd/September 9th :-(. Is my understanding correct?
What about the months of July and August, it says those dates are for Duluth/Fergus Falls? Can they schedule oath for Minneapolis and St.Paul residents there?
Could anyone from Minneapolis and St.Paul post their experience please.