NSC / St. Paul ( MN) timeline

We went for the interview last Wednesday and it was a breeze;
Just the usual civics questions and a verification of the N-400 form.
Both my wife and myself were out in 20 minutes.
Now we wait.. for the oath letter.

Meanwhile, i have moved on from MN to NJ as my prior project ended in MN; I am planning to relocate end of June; Since i do not anticipate oath letter to be coming in the next 2 weeks, was wondering what i should do.
1. Should i just appear for my oath in MN when i get the letter and take the risk of being turned away as my address has changed? The interview approval letter has a section for address which should be filled out when appearing for the oath.
2. Call INS and provide them with the change of address info and hope/pray that my file makes it to my new address in NJ? Obviously this option will introduce a delay;
Any input on the above would be great.

Regards.

FD: 02/07/08
RD: 02/11/08
PD: 02/11/08
FP: 02/29/08 - St. Paul
04/14/08: Interview letter received
06/11/08: Interview cleared
Waiting for oath letter

Congratulations on your successful interview. In my view, you are technically not eligible to be sworn in MN since your address has changed. You will be swearing that you have lived 90 days continuously in the same district. Thus while address changes are fine (within the state) they are not in your case. The MN judge can't swear you in, you will need to be sworn in based on the NJ court rules. (e.g., some states don't require a judge for the ceremony unless there is address change).

I think you would be best placed to inform NJ for your file rather than risk going for a ceremony when in fact you are not eligible because you have changed your home address to another state.

We went for the interview last Wednesday and it was a breeze;
Just the usual civics questions and a verification of the N-400 form.
Both my wife and myself were out in 20 minutes.
Now we wait.. for the oath letter.

Meanwhile, i have moved on from MN to NJ as my prior project ended in MN; I am planning to relocate end of June; Since i do not anticipate oath letter to be coming in the next 2 weeks, was wondering what i should do.
1. Should i just appear for my oath in MN when i get the letter and take the risk of being turned away as my address has changed? The interview approval letter has a section for address which should be filled out when appearing for the oath.
2. Call INS and provide them with the change of address info and hope/pray that my file makes it to my new address in NJ? Obviously this option will introduce a delay;
Any input on the above would be great.

Regards.

FD: 02/07/08
RD: 02/11/08
PD: 02/11/08
FP: 02/29/08 - St. Paul
04/14/08: Interview letter received
06/11/08: Interview cleared
Waiting for oath letter

Any pointers to good immigration attorneys in Mpls? I would like to inquire around before settling on one (reg: potential mandamus for N400).

AP

I had my interview on June 19 with approval, following which I got a notice to send them my marriage certificate (not sure why this is even relevant, but I sent anyway) and have not heard a word since. No idea what is going on.

Has anyone received an Oath invitation for August 2008 yet for St. Paul. If yes, can you please let me know when your interview date was and when you recrived the path invitation?

I received my interview letter today (07/19/2008). Here is my timeline:

Application Mailed: 05/08/08
Check Cashed: 05/13/08
PD: 05/12/08
FP Notification Date: 05/16/08
FP Date: 05/31/08 - Finger print done
IL Receipt Date: 07/19/08
Interview Date: 08/28/08

Thanks Colohio. I remember you too from those excruciating days :).

What is the deal with "further background check"?? can you please shed some light on it.

Best of luck to you too.

I received my interview letter today (07/19/2008). Here is my timeline:

Application Mailed: 05/08/08
Check Cashed: 05/13/08
PD: 05/12/08
FP Notification Date: 05/16/08
FP Date: 05/31/08 - Finger print done
IL Receipt Date: 07/19/08
Interview Date: 08/28/08

Haraputta, did you really apply like 2 months ago? Is SPM your DO? Man, I applied 2/08 and nothing since fingerprinting.

VisaNutz, yes, I did apply about two months ago. It is surprising for me as well to get an interview date. and yes, my DO is SPM.

What have you been observing as an average time to get an IL for SPM DO?

Thanks.

Thanks Colohio. I remember you too from those excruciating days :).

What is the deal with "further background check"?? can you please shed some light on it.

Best of luck to you too.

I guess it could be for one of the 2 reasons:

1. I checked YES to one of the Good Moral Characters related questions. Had a dismissed case against me for bounching one of my bank checks (passing bad check was the charge and it was dismissed in the local city court in 12/1996.). IO wanted to see the court paper. I showed her the certified copy of the court verdict. She seemed pleased with that.

2. I had a recent trip out of the country. I left US on May 2nd and returned on July 5th (63 days)

VisaNutz, yes, I did apply about two months ago. It is surprising for me as well to get an interview date. and yes, my DO is SPM.

What have you been observing as an average time to get an IL for SPM DO?

Thanks.

You are very lucky!! I do not know the average time to get IL at SPM, but their "processing times" date seems to bounce back and forth quite a bit.

Thanks brb2!! You are a big help on this forum.
I went ahead and made my address change official using the AR-11 form as well as calling the INS hotline.

to my pleasant surprise, i received a oath letter for Aug 22 in Newark NJ within 3 weeks of informing USCIS of my address change; Now waiting to complete the final step..

Regards.

N400 Application

Hello All,

I am back to this forum after 5 long yrs. The forum was very helpful in getting my GC through Consular Processing. I am here again to apply for my citizenship. I pulled out the N400 forms for me and my wife and filled-in all the details but still not quite sure on the following items. Appreciate if someone experienced can help me with the answers.

1. What are the supporting documents that I need to send with the application. Of course, we don't meet any spl criteria listed in the guide. Thus, I'm assuming it would just be a check, 2 photographs, application, copy of GC (back n forth)
  2. I saw the fees as $595 plus a biometrics fee of $80; the fee total is $675. Is this per each applicant or per family?
  3. Can I send both the applications (mine and my wife) in one packet or do they have to be in separate envelops?
  4. Also, we have been long thinking to change my wife's surname to mine. Is it a good time to change? I see under part I # D states Name Change (Optional). Can I have her name legally changed? Do I need to send any additional documents other than a marriage certificate?

I have the application ready to be mailed out. Appreciate your help on this ASAP.

Thanks,

Ramsi

Minneapolis/St. Paul Interview Experience...

I had my interview today at 2:10 PM. I reached the local DO around 1:30 PM. Although there were not too many people in waiting area, I was not called in until 3:30 PM.

I was ushered in by a very pleasant African-American officer. She first apologized for the wait time and then explained that she was running behind the schedule. I was her last appointment.

The officer went through the application question by question and made the appropriate changes. I have changed my job since filing N-400. I did bring an updated page (page 3) of N-400 application and she attached the page to the back of the application. She just asked for my marriage certificate, passport, green card and driver's license.

I brought every conceivable document to the interview, but she did not ask for anything. I had mentioned an out of status spouse on my application and was concerned about any cross-questioning regarding the issue. Officer did check/tick marked the information on the application, but did not pay any attention and moved on.

It took 10 minutes, if that, and I was out of her room. She did give me a letter stating that USCIS will mail me the decision about the case as the case has to go through the quality check.

Good luck to all my friends waiting for their interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all.
I had my interview last Thursday. It took about 10 minutes. A very friendly and pleasant officer. She just checked my application and asked couple of questions about any criminal history, taxes and employment. She mad a copy of my marriage certificate.

Asked 6 civic questions, which I answered correctly. She told me that I should expect a letter soon.

Thanks.

I completed my oath in Newark-NJ after the transfer of my papers from MN; Applied for passport the same day and got the US passports for self and family the next week.

Thanks again to this board and especially to brb2 for providing the info required to get through the citizenship process.
Good luck!!

Regards.

N-400 Timeline

Application Mailed: 09/16/08
PD: 09/17/08
Check Cashed: 09/18/08
F.P. Notification: 09/30/08
F.P. Scheduled: 10/14/08

Last edited by a moderator:
MN processing times

How long does it take to get citizenship if I filed for it in St Paul? Will it be a problem if I planned a trip outside US in May 2009?

I have seen a variety of timelines for folks that are located within St. Paul DO's jurisdiciton. I received my interview letter in three months after I filed my application. The recent problem that a few of us are experiencing with St. Paul Do is receipt of oath letter after naturalization interview. There are some delays theres.

As far as going on a trip abroad after you file your N-400 should not affect anything as long as you make all the necessary appointment dates (mainly FP and interview dates). You can update your filed N-400 with information about your last international trip at the time of your interview. I think you should be able to get your interview scheduled before May 2009 if you file your application now.

Hi.
I applied in Dec 2007 and went out of country for a 2 week vacation. I got interview letter mid-September, and had an interview Oct 20th.
However, I've seen people applying after me and having interviews before me. I think they are all over the place and it doesn't seem to be any connection as to why.