Non RIR Discussion Only !

Thanks a lot for your reply. Unfortunately your 2 assumptions do not apply to me. I had applied for GC as a citizen of Egypt, a few months shy of my naturalization as Canadian. Does that mean my labor can take longer than a few months to get approved?

Also my PD is in June 2003, which means that I'm not current (I think). Does that mean I cannot file concurrently?

Based on the above 2 points, I doubt if the 6-months to 1-year timeframe applies to me. Can you please validate?

Thanks

I do not think there is any retrogression for citizens from Canada. However your labor might take another 2-3 months to be approved and by then if you are current, you should be able to apply for I140 and 485 simultaneously. I do not think it would take lot of time for that process. I would think you are probably looking at anywhere between 6 months to 1 year for getting a GC.

But have you seen it on the AJB? My lawyer called today and I went to AJB and could find it!

This forum really rocks. Now that something is happening on my case, it's good to know that there's so many people I can share information with.

I got my RI a couple of weeks back and ads are not being placed for my position in a local newspaper as well as my workplace. Does anyone have an authoritative list of where all ads need to be placed ? Are ads in the newspaper (print version only) enough ? I remember reading somewhere that ads also needed to be placed online and in some reputable journal. But I don't remember if that was for PERM/RIR or also TR cases. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------------
CA/TR/July 2002/EB2/RI Received 02-24

Thanks a lot for your reply. Unfortunately your 2 assumptions do not apply to me. I had applied for GC as a citizen of Egypt, a few months shy of my naturalization as Canadian. Does that mean my labor can take longer than a few months to get approved?

Also my PD is in June 2003, which means that I'm not current (I think). Does that mean I cannot file concurrently?

Based on the above 2 points, I doubt if the 6-months to 1-year timeframe applies to me. Can you please validate?

Thanks
"Country of chargeability" is the country of birth, not the country of citizenship...so in your case Egypt would apply. In any case, except India, China and Mexico, all other countries fall under a common quota ("rest of the world").

Basically, your decision should be based on what type of application you have EB2 or EB3. If it's EB2, once your LC is approved you (your employer through your lawyer) will be able to submit applications for I-140 and I-485 concurrently, and you will be able to get permission for you spouse to work, you'll be able to switch employers after 180 days (with some limitatioins and if I-140 is approved) and it may be possible that you'll get your GC in 1-1.5 years (could be less, could be more)

If you have an EB3 case, you won't be able to submitt I-485 until your priority date becomes current (it's in 2002 now and has not moved for a few months) and therefore won't get GC for nobody knows how long.

Also, It could take a few months (or just a couple) before you LC is approved. Nobody knows for sure with the backlog centers.

Hope, this helps.

Oh this does help a lot since I'm very illiterate in this stuff! I have a Masters degree so I'm EB2 (I think). It's great news that my wife could work if LC gets approved!

So you and I are in very similar situations I guess. Now are you saying that as an EB2 you should be able to file concurrently for I-140 and I-485 regardless of your PD?

ma_nonrir_eb3, thanks for your reply too. Yea I didn't think it would make a difference whether I applied as Canadian or Egyptian. I just meant to ask whether a US GC is worth the hassle if I hold dual citizenship already.

Oh this does help a lot since I'm very illiterate in this stuff! I have a Masters degree so I'm EB2 (I think). It's great news that my wife could work if LC gets approved!

So you and I are in very similar situations I guess. Now are you saying that as an EB2 you should be able to file concurrently for I-140 and I-485 regardless of your PD?

ma_nonrir_eb3, thanks for your reply too. Yea I didn't think it would make a difference whether I applied as Canadian or Egyptian. I just meant to ask whether a US GC is worth the hassle if I hold dual citizenship already.
Whether your case is EB2 or EB3 depends on what's stated on your Labor Certification application, not on your own qualifications. You might have a PhD, but if the Labor Certification application is for a position that requires a Bachelor's degree and less than 5 years experience, the case would be EB3. Only if the Labor Certification application requires a Master's degree, or a Bachelor's with at least 5 years progressive experience can the case be considered EB2.

If you case is indeed EB2, then you may be able to file concurrently for I-140/485 upon Labor Certification, since EB2 dates are current for "rest of the world" (all countries except India, China and Mexico). When you file for 485, you can apply for EAD for your spouse as well and get her work authorization.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

It does not make a difference even if you are from Egypt or Canada. The EB2 retrogression is only affecting people from India, China and Mexico. So if your application is filed under EB2, you can apply for concurrent 485 and 140. There are some unfortunate souls in this forum who have experienced long waiting times even at the final stages, but if everything goes well for you, you should be good in 6 to 12 months from now.

This forum really rocks. Now that something is happening on my case, it's good to know that there's so many people I can share information with.

I got my RI a couple of weeks back and ads are not being placed for my position in a local newspaper as well as my workplace. Does anyone have an authoritative list of where all ads need to be placed ? Are ads in the newspaper (print version only) enough ? I remember reading somewhere that ads also needed to be placed online and in some reputable journal. But I don't remember if that was for PERM/RIR or also TR cases. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------------
CA/TR/July 2002/EB2/RI Received 02-24

Ads NO needed to placed online. You may run all Ad during week days, since Sunday is just RECOMMEND according to RI. Hope this help.

Ads NO needed to placed online. You may run all Ad during week days, since Sunday is just RECOMMEND according to RI. Hope this help.

Thanks SJACK777. I did have an ad placed on Sunday also. Looks like things should be all set :)

cowboy14 - Yes. It's been there on AJB for a few weeks now. Note, when you search, remove the dashes. That could give you the job you are looking for.

Online status: Certified

The online status changes to Certified today.
----------------------------------------------
NJ EB2 NON-RIR
ETA: P-05143-3****
PD: 10/31/2003
45DL 12/22/2005
AJB 11/28/2006
RI 12/04/2006
Rec. Report rcvd 01/16/2007 (with 1 resume)
Filed Recruitment Report on 02/02/2007
Certified Online 03/20/2007

I posted my ad in a local news paper for $3600. It is some 56 lines. Many news papers have tools to give you an estimate.

CO/NON-RIR/EB3
PD - APRIL,2002
45day - JULY,2005
AJB Ad - 24 Feb 2007
RI - 12 MAR 2007
Recruitment Period - 3/9/2007 to 4/9/2007.

Does anyone know how much it costs to post ads in newspapers on average for recruitment purposes?

You mentioned I-485 (EB3) is current for 2002. But I-485 forum here says that it is still May'2001. What is your source on this. Please let us know.

Thanks.

CO/NON-RIR/EB3
PD - APRIL,2002
45day - JULY,2005
AJB Ad - 24 Feb 2007
RI - 12 MAR 2007

Basically, your decision should be based on what type of application you have EB2 or EB3. If it's EB2, once your LC is approved you (your employer through your lawyer) will be able to submit applications for I-140 and I-485 concurrently, and you will be able to get permission for you spouse to work, you'll be able to switch employers after 180 days (with some limitatioins and if I-140 is approved) and it may be possible that you'll get your GC in 1-1.5 years (could be less, could be more)

If you have an EB3 case, you won't be able to submitt I-485 until your priority date becomes current (it's in 2002 now and has not moved for a few months) and therefore won't get GC for nobody knows how long.

Also, It could take a few months (or just a couple) before you LC is approved. Nobody knows for sure with the backlog centers.

Hope, this helps.

Can't Believe This

I can't believe you even don't know what is the cut off date for your country, after 5 years' wait for LC. Go to Visa Bulletin and see for yourself.

You mentioned I-485 (EB3) is current for 2002. But I-485 forum here says that it is still May'2001. What is your source on this. Please let us know.

Thanks.

CO/NON-RIR/EB3
PD - APRIL,2002
45day - JULY,2005
AJB Ad - 24 Feb 2007
RI - 12 MAR 2007

hmmm. I guess I stopped looking at I-485 and visa numbers few years ago, as I continued rotting in labor process. Now that there is some movement in my labor process and started looking ahead again.;)
Anyway, latest visa bulletin says EB3 is still in May'01.
Thanks.

I can't believe you even don't know what is the cut off date for your country, after 5 years' wait for LC. Go to Visa Bulletin and see for yourself.

Ok, just checked it - Visa Bulletin for April 2007

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3169.html

3rd, rest of the world - 01AUG02, India - 08MAY01

So, if you were born in India - 2001, otherwise - 2002

hmmm. I guess I stopped looking at I-485 and visa numbers few years ago, as I continued rotting in labor process. Now that there is some movement in my labor process and started looking ahead again.;)
Anyway, latest visa bulletin says EB3 is still in May'01.
Thanks.

Ok, just checked it - Visa Bulletin for April 2007

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3169.html

3rd, rest of the world - 01AUG02, India - 08MAY01

So, if you were born in India - 2001, otherwise - 2002

I am relatively new to this guys so bear with me. I was told by my lawyer that I am EB2. Does that mean the dates are current for me right now? I am Egyptian. If so and if I do stay current until my LC gets approved, what are my options regarding I-485 etc.?

Thanks much

The online status changes to Certified today.
----------------------------------------------
NJ EB2 NON-RIR
ETA: P-05143-3****
PD: 10/31/2003
45DL 12/22/2005
AJB 11/28/2006
RI 12/04/2006
Rec. Report rcvd 01/16/2007 (with 1 resume)
Filed Recruitment Report on 02/02/2007
Certified Online 03/20/2007

congrats :) .....me still waiting:( what were the last three letters assigned after the eta number....mine is kyo

thanks

Case#: D-05195-XXXXX
PD: 06/2004
Case: TR / EB2
BEC: Dallas
State: CA
45 Days Received May 19 2006
45 Days replied May 26 2006
AJB: 03/15/2007
RI: 03/21/2007
Online Status: In Process