Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

FingerPrint Notification - Walkin Clarification:

Hi, I just received Fingerprint Notification with 03/03/2010 as scheduled appointment. The letter also states the following:
"If you are unable to appear at this time, you may go on any following Wednesday at the same time noted below, as long as you appear before 05/26/2010"

Question I have is ... Can I do walkin finger print prior to scheduled 03/03/2010. I am confused as the notice stressed that If I cannot make this date do it on following wednesday

My ASC is USCIS Elizabeth, Newark, NJ 07208

I am thinking of going on 02/17/2010, Please advise if this will be an issue

Thx

Walk in is possible. It is at the discretion of the ASC. It would help if you have printed travel itenary for the same day showing you will be out of town etc. I did walk in also, though I dont think it helped with expediting the interview. However, if it is not far away, just go and try, all you lose is the 25 c for the parking meter if they refuse you and of course your valuable time.

I have completed my interview and oath yesterday. I have posted a seperate thread for the people who are in same boat like me. I would like to thank you all for the valuable service you guys provide. This forum is so good I literally followed every advice and steps which are recommended.

I have completed my interview and oath yesterday. I have posted a seperate thread for the people who are in same boat like me. I would like to thank you all for the valuable service you guys provide. This forum is so good I literally followed every advice and steps which are recommended.

Congratulations Bandham.. Please provide the link where you have posted your experince.

Thanks
BK

DO : Newark

1/27/2020 Sent N400 to Lewisville TX.
1/28/2010 N400 Forwarded to Dallas
1/29/2010 N400 Received in Dallas.
2/4/2010 Email and Txt sent confirming appln receipt
2/6/2010 NOA Received. PD 2/2/2010 , Cheque Cashed on 4th Feb

My Timeline

Here is my time line
DO:Newark NJ

26-Nov-09--> N-400 mailed
30-Nov-09--> Priority date
31-Dec-09--> Finger Printing (as Scheduled)
1-Feb-10--> Interview notice received
9-Mar-10--> Interview date

Laptop

Are we allowed to work on our laptops while waiting for the interview and oath?

I know cellphones should be turned off. How about laptops or netbooks ?

Newark has gotten totally quiet. Aren't there any interviews happening in the last few weeks. What were they doing instead is what I would like to know :). Fingers crossed for next Wed 9:00. I will be really disappointed if this does not happen on Wed. Too many subsequent plans based on it happening.

Newark has gotten totally quiet. Aren't there any interviews happening in the last few weeks. What were they doing instead is what I would like to know :). Fingers crossed for next Wed 9:00. I will be really disappointed if this does not happen on Wed. Too many subsequent plans based on it happening.

Hi Vip1r,

Good luck ! Are you planning for expediting your passport and getting a PIO or something. That's my plan. Please do post your experince. I have mine on March 1st.

Thanks
BK

Hi Vip1r,

Good luck ! Are you planning for expediting your passport and getting a PIO or something. That's my plan. Please do post your experince. I have mine on March 1st.

Thanks
BK

Yes planning to go to NYC for same day passport. Plan to travel next week. Also applying for PIO this week. Have to get all the paperwork together for that one though.
As the D-day is approaching. Anxiety and nervousness is growing. Being on this forum helps a lot about knowing what to expect. Just want to get this over with.

Got done with my interview and oath today.

Scheduled for 9:00 in the morning. Got there around 8:00. Parked and was on the 15th floor by 8:10. Gave in the paperwork at window 1 for both myself and spouce. Then long wait. People seemed to be getting called in no apparent order. Around 10:20, first wife was called and then 2 mintues later I was called. Pretty routine stuff - oath, go over the application, reading, writing, civics. No documents besides GC, DL and passports (1 have 3 old ones) asked for. None were provided. I had travelled a few times after the application and had a small slip of paper with the dates and places, she just made a mental note and saw that they were small tips. No traffic incidents solicited, none volunteered. Asked to sign pictures and then was given an approval notice with 2:00 pm written (said I might make it to the 11:30 am one). The whole thing was over in 5/7 minutes. Wife was out soon after I come out. Same story for her (routine).

Then the long wait. Around 11:20 am, name gets called and I am asked to sign on a copy of the certificate and original certificate, am offered a choice of going at 11:30 or waiting till 2:00 to go with my wife (who might be scheduled at 11:00, not sure at this point). Take the 11:30 am option, am taken to the room by 11:40 am or so. Very short ceremony, no video, just oath and pledge of allegiance. The wife was in the main room, since they were adding people till the last minute and we were hopeful she would make it to the 11:30 and we would not have to stick around till later. No such luck.

Come out after oath, have to wait till 1:00/1:30 before they start announcing names for the 2/2:30 ceremony. It is a good hour away, decide to step outside for lunch. Take the car out(talk to the guy to let me come back in within the 14 daily rate, he agrees). Drive around, pretty sorry state of affairs as far as lunch choices are concerned. Double back. Notice there is a subway a block away that is the best option. Park on the street, eat there and head back. Am back in the building by 1:10. Wife's name called 5 minutes later. She checks and signs.

At 2:20 or so, they ask everybody to be in the oath room. This one is more elaborate. They explain that the wait today was extraordinary since they have had an error and scheduled everybody (260 people) for morning rather than breaking them up into morning and afternoon. Then they show a video, oath, pledge and then they have a song where they expect you to sing "proud to be an american". (was like a karaoke session, just in a large group).

Anyways, out of there by 2:45. Big part of journey over. Going for same day passport tomorrow to NYC agency(am planning to travel in the next 2 weeks). Have appointment already. (Hope the snow is not strong in the morning, and they dont close the place down).

Besides the wait time. The journey was quite painless.

Hi Vip1r,

Congratulatuions!

Please post your experince on the passport and PIO journey as well. Much appreciated.,
BK

Applied for passport in the city today (11/25). Had a 9:30 appointment. Was there by 9:40. Pretty routine process, if you have an itinerary within the next 14 days. Was out by 10:10. Can collect the passport any time after 10:00 tomorrow.

Will move to the PIO forum for posting PIO experience etc. This should be my last post on this thread.

Thank you all for all the help and the data.

All, Posting my experience. Interview was today, my wife's at 10AM, and for me was 1:00PM. We both reached office at about 9:30AM. It was quite packed (probably some people came in early due to heavy snow/storm in the weather forecast. Wife was called for interview at about 11:45 AM, I was called at about 12:15PM. Process was quite simple as also mentioned by many in the forum. However, the office did close early and I suppose individuals who had afternoon appointments and arrived at the center after about 11:00AM must have been told to go back and that their interview date would be rescheduled (not automatically for tomorrow). The rescheduling was to be done by USCIS as per normal process. I suppose I was lucky, though I had 1:00PM appointment, I was there at 9:30AM, since my wife's appointment was 10AM and became a US Citizenship today. Now going for Passport etc.

GC: 10/2004
DO: Newark, NJ
Sent N400: 11/16/2009
Received : 11/18/2009
Check Cashed: ~11/20/2009
FP Date: 12/17/2009
FP done on: 12/17/2009
YL: 01/04/10 (only for spouse -- needed drivers license)
ID: 02/25/10
OD: 02/25/10

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

My wife and I appeared for interview.My wife got citizenship. In my case , the IO was not very convinced about my number of visits out of the country, though they were less than 180 days per trip. Because of my job, as employed by a US company, I had to stay outside the country for long but never more than 180 days. I satisfied both the criteria, 3 years of continous residency in US after GC and not being out of the country for more 180 days. The IO was making a claim that I dont have enough supporting evidence that I am living as a permamnent resident in US. I dont own a house in US but shared my relative's house as I was more spending my time in India related to my job the last 2 years. Based on this analysis, she gave me an option of withdrawing my N400 or wait for a letter from them requesting for more infiormation and reappear for another interview soon. I opted for the latter. Just wondering if I would end up losing my GC if they deny my case. Also , what will be the process for withdrawal of N400?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
BK

Your GC would not be lost for being denied naturalization due to not meeting continuous residency requirement. If you spent the majority of your time in India without an approved N-470 or without maintaining a primary abode in US, you'll have a very hard -if not impossible- time proving that you didn't break continuous residency.
You can withdraw your application by sending a letter to USCIS.
Where did your wife live while you were in India?

Thanks for your quick response BobSmyth. She lived with me. Fortuinately her interview was smooth and they never questioned all this to her.