Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

I received a second fingerprinting notice during the N-400 process in the mail and will go, of course. Does anybody know what this could be about?

May be your fingerprints were not of good quality and unclassifiable by FBI. When go for fingerprints start using Hand cream 2-3 times a day 6-7 days advance of fingerprints Or request the Fingerprint technician to take your fingerprints on FBI fingerprint card.

I just saw my online status today stating that I have an RFE on my N-400, however some helpful folks here stated that that was the finger printing notices.

My question is that the FP date is usually within two weeks of the FP notice date. Unfortunately, I'm travelling that week and I'm afraid that the FP date would be on the date that I'm out of state.

I've been reading about walk-in FP.
Can this be done @ Elizabeth NJ ?

Does this mean that even though I have a set date for FP,
I can still walk-in and get the FP done ?

If the walk-in is not possible, can I re-schedule the FP ? I believe this is not advisable since the next FP date that they give you can be way out ?

Any response appreciated.

Timeline
Application mailed: Sept. 19th
Notice date: Sept. 27th

I have read 2-3 posts for Elizabeth NJ and one can go for fingerprints on Saturday but you will need fingerprint notice in hand.

I just saw my online status today stating that I have an RFE on my N-400, however some helpful folks here stated that that was the finger printing notices.

My question is that the FP date is usually within two weeks of the FP notice date. Unfortunately, I'm travelling that week and I'm afraid that the FP date would be on the date that I'm out of state.

I've been reading about walk-in FP.
Can this be done @ Elizabeth NJ ?

Does this mean that even though I have a set date for FP,
I can still walk-in and get the FP done ?

If the walk-in is not possible, can I re-schedule the FP ? I believe this is not advisable since the next FP date that they give you can be way out ?

Any response appreciated.

Timeline
Application mailed: Sept. 19th
Notice date: Sept. 27th

Just go there few days before you are travelling and show them the proof that you are travelling on certain dates and I am sure they will allow you if they are not busy. I did it on Saturday.

New here

my timeline:

09/25/2009: N-400 application sent
09/30/2009: RD(Lewisville TX)
10/01/2009: Notice date
10/01/2009: Check cashed
10/06/2009: RFE (is it FP??)
**/**/***: FP notice date
**/**/***: FP notice received
**/**/***: FP Done
**/**/***: Interview Notice date
**/**/***: Interview Notice received
**/**/***: Yellow Notice received
**/**/***: Interview date
**/**/***: Oath completed

Hi, I got yellow letter too 3 days back. May be on Oct 2nd 2009. Here is my timeline. However my case is little bit complex. I am in India for last 1 year.
However, travelled to USA every 5 months. Working for USA company from Mumbai. Moved here as EXPAT for 18months contract. Planning to move back to USA in 3months time. Here is my timeline. Total no of days outside USA in last 5 yrs is 430 days....

longest peiorod outside USA :
In India from Oct 1st 2008 to Jan 28th 2009
In India, from Feb 10th to July 29th, 2009.

DO: Newark, NJ
8/04/09 : N400 Mailed by USPS Priority Mail
8/05/09 : Priority Date/Receipt Date
8/12/09 : Check cashed
8/16/09 : FP notice received
8/27/09 : FP Done
10/02/09 : Yellow letter received - Bring NJ State ID card...not sure why they want that....may be they want to check my address...in the application, I have provided my friends address...I do not have any address as am not stayig in USA...Once I move in 3months , I will take apartment for rent...

As of today: Status still shows On August 12th, we have mailed....."...

Waiting for interview letter....

I am not sue whether they will deny my citizenship ....

Talk to an attorney, you dont want to mess with this on your own on something this important.

Talk to an attorney, you dont want to mess with this on your own on something this important.

In your case it seems that your interview date is after 90-92 days from the date you did your fingerprints. for other cases I have seen Interview date after 70-80 days from Fingerprint date.

Good Luck!!

Successful Interview Mt. Laurel, NJ

I had a nice experience y'day during my inteview @ Mt. Laurel, NJ and it was successful.

The IO officer was very nice , jovial and the interview took about 15 mins. He checked my GC, passport and DL and was asked to give a copy of my birth certificate. Thanks to this forum especially to Another_dude and Nick123 for advising me to have one.

He went through my application and verified all my details. Later I was asked the following Questions in Histiry & Civic:
1. What is one promise you make when you become a United States citizen?
2. Who was the first President?
3. Who is the Governor of your state now?
4. What movement tried to end racial discrimination?
5. Where is the Statue of Liberty?
6. Name two national U.S. holidays.

I answered all correctly. The officer said I have passed the test and gave me N-652 indicating his approval.

However, I am completing my 5th yr GC anniversary in another few days and so, Oath ceremony will be in a couple of weeks time. Thanks to all at this forum.

Jay_T

Name issue

Dear friends,

I am dealing with an unknown issue and my time has come to deal with now as I am ready to apply for Citizenship.

My name in Indian passport is "xxxx yyyy lastname".When I got my SSN number first time, the name was writer in the same way. Means First name xxxx, middle name yyyy.

But I have been using yyyy as my first name all along every where. Now my GC says first name as yyyy and middle name as xxxx.

Will this be an issue when applying for Citizenship.

Appreciate any help regarding this particular from those who are in similar situation

Dear friends,

I am dealing with an unknown issue and my time has come to deal with now as I am ready to apply for Citizenship.

My name in Indian passport is "xxxx yyyy lastname".
When I got my SSN number first time, the name was writer in the same way.

Means First name xxxx, middle name yyyy.
--------------------- if your first name is XXXX and midle name YYYY and Last name ZZZZ then on SSN it should be XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZBut I have been using yyyy as my first name all along every where.
-----------------did you wrote: YYYY as First name on I-485? what was on your I-485 form?
Now my GC says first name as yyyy and middle name as xxxx.
---------------- On GC it should be: ZZZZ,XXXX ,YYYY
Will this be an issue when applying for Citizenship.
-------------No, you can change the name.
Appreciate any help regarding this particular from those who are in similar situation

---------------------

ginnu,

Thanks for the reply.

My SSN has XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZ
Yes. On I-485, I used YYYY as first name.
And my GC has ZZZZ,YYYY X (Only first initial)

Looks like the officer does check the passport and GC before approving the application. Hoping this won't be an issue.

ginnu,

Thanks for the reply.

My SSN has XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZ
Yes. On I-485, I used YYYY as first name.
-------------Why did you wrote your middle YYYY name as First name on I-485 form?? USCIS made Card according to your info as on form I-485

And my GC has ZZZZ,YYYY X (Only first initial)
-----------------The mess up is because you wrote your middle name as First name on I-485
Looks like the officer does check the passport and GC before approving the application.
-------------------They check the GC. They check USCIS system with your A# They may not check your passport. Hoping this won't be an issue.
--------------------You can change your name. and on N400 application you can tick for name change.
******To me it does not seem like name change it is because of your mistake on I-485 form and they made the card according to I-485 info. at the time of interview take your birth cetificate, passport or any document that has your name on it.
---------------- What is you name on DL??

Since In India we just use Surname and Given Name and no concept of FIRST, MIDDLE and LAST names, I started using YYYY as first name and XXXX as middle name.

I realized only when I went for driving license that SSN system has first and middle names interchanged. My first DL has XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZ but after GC, my DL name changed to YYYY-XXXX-ZZZZ

Now I want to keep YYYY as first name and XXXX as middle name. So my license and GC has names I want and moving forward I want to maintain YYYY-XXXX-ZZZZ the way it is in GC & DL.

But this name does not match with Indian passport name.

I hope my explanation with XXXX, YYYY and ZZZZ is not confusing.

Since In India we just use Surname and Given Name and no concept of FIRST, MIDDLE and LAST names, I started using YYYY as first name and XXXX as middle name.
-------------------you are wrong, in India they use First Name, Middle name and Last name/surname on documents. Have you read name Ram Gopal Verma? Ram is first name, Gopal is middle name and Verma is Last name/Surname . Have you read the name Atal Bihari Bajpai? Atal is First name, Bihari is middle name and Bajpai is Last name/Surname. Lal Bahadur Shastri, Lal is First name, Bahadur is middle name and Shashti is last name/surname. Do they call them Ram Verma or Atal Bajpai or Lal Shastri?? [B]what about Mohinder Singh Dhoni, Mohinder Singh Gill,Lal Krishan Advani, Lala Lajpat Rai, Jawahar Lal Nehru??
I realized only when I went for driving license that SSN system has first and middle names interchanged.
-----------------you wrote wrong on SSN form or you were supposed to get it corrected. why you did not show your passport or name on passport?. you also wrote your Middle name as First name on I-485 form and it is your mistake.

My first DL has XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZ but after GC, my DL name changed to YYYY-XXXX-ZZZZ
-------------------Your name on passport, SSN cad,DL, GC shold be same (on GC they first write Last name/Surname then First name and then Middle name.) they sometime write wrong info on GC and one can get it corrected by filing I-90 form (if USCIS mistake no fee if your mistake then pay the fees)

Now I want to keep YYYY as first name and XXXX as middle name. So my license and GC has names I want and moving forward I want to maintain YYYY-XXXX-ZZZZ the way it is in GC & DL.
---------------- ask for name change.
As your name on SSN is different then you may have to contact SSN office to change it and updating credit cards, credit history , IRS.
But this name does not match with Indian passport name.
------------------ Why dont you want the name as on your passport?

I hope my explanation with XXXX, YYYY and ZZZZ is not confusing.
------ You have explained and I have understood that you wrote wrong First name on I-485 and your name on SSN card does not match with DL or GC.

You can change your name on naturalization certificate .you will get US passport with the name as on naturalization certificate. When you apply for India OCI Card then you need to provide the copy of Indian passport and your name on US passport will not match with name as on Indian passport and then deal with Indian officials and explain that you changed your name.

Last edited by a moderator:
gunnu,

Agree with you regarding FIRS, MIDDLE and LAST names issue based on your explanation. However all the states may not follow this concept particularly in A.P. Names like Pamulaparthi Venkata Narasimha Rao (P.V. Narasimha Rao),I would think "Narasimha Rao" will be first name and Venkata is middle name and Last name always starts first in the whole name in most of the documents.

For now on N400 application, I will use the same name as in GC and see if there are any issues show up at the interview.

I did not even think about OCI. That's a very good point to take a note of.

I never got a letter to send additional evidence, just the letter for the FP date, which was Sep 10th, I did my fingerprints on the schedualed date, and now when I login to the website i see this :
<--------------------
Request for Evidence
On August 24, 2009, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

A request for evidence is made when an application/petition is lacking required documentation/evidence (initial evidence) or the officer needs more documentation/evidence (additional evidence) to determine an applicant's eligibility for the benefit sought. We may send you a request for evidence at any stage of our review. The request will indicate what evidence or information is needed for us to fully evaluate your application or petition. The notice will explain where to send the evidence and will give the deadline for your response. Your application or petition will be held in suspense during that time. If you receive a request for evidence and have questions about what you need to submit, you may call our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.
-------------->

Should I call and ask them to resend the letter for the additional evidence?
Is the additional evidence the FP??? maybe?

I've received an additional evidence when my case was transfered from VT to CA, and I sent everything and I got approved for the permanent GC,
should I be worried?

Hi,

Same message was desplayed for me for 1 month or so. On Oct 5th, received yellow later and message has been changed on website. I think you have to wait another 20 days based on the no of days between my finger prints date and yours. My finger prints were finished on Aug 27th in NJ and got the yellow letter on Oct 2nd. So, calculate based on that ...

thx

Received Yellow Letter

08/10/2009: N-400 application sent
08/13/2009: RD(Lewisville TX)
08/14/2009: Priority Date
08/14/2009: Notice date
09/08/2009: FP Done
10/09/2009: Yellow Letter Received
**/**/***: Interview Notice date...

gunnu,

Agree with you regarding FIRST, MIDDLE and LAST names issue based on your explanation. However all the states may not follow this concept particularly in A.P.
Names like Pamulaparthi Venkata Narasimha Rao (P.V. Narasimha Rao),I would think "Narasimha Rao" will be first name and Venkata is middle name and Last name always starts first in the whole name in most of the documents.
--------------His last name was Rao. Reddy, Rao are Last names/Surnames
Read the below links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_common_surnames#Common_Southern_India_surnames
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raju_surnames

For now on N400 application, I will use the same name as in GC and see if there are any issues show up at the interview.

I did not even think about OCI. That's a very good point to take a note of.

--------------------

Hi All,
Today I recieved my FP appointment date - I am glad to report that the RFE status is most likely the FP stage...
Does anyone know if I can just go the the Elizabeth center earlier than the date they set me up with (the date is 10/27)??
any help is appreciated.

updated timeline:
09/24/2009: N-400 application sent (Lewisville TX)
09/28/2009: RD
09/30/2009: Notice date
10/01/2009: Check cashed
10/06/2009: RFE status in website (FP...?)
10/07/2009: FP notice date
10/10/2009: FP notice received (appointment date 10/27/09)
**/**/***: FP Done
**/**/***: Interview Notice date
**/**/***: Interview Notice received
**/**/***: Yellow Notice received
**/**/***: Interview date
**/**/***: Oath completed

Last edited by a moderator: