Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Guys,

Got my citizenship today. Pretty straightforward, no real issues to mention (except one) that others have not already on this thread.

This has to do with a name change I requested on the application (all others disregard this). My middle name is very long, hence the officer asked if I could break up the name since the computer cannot take long names. I asked what the impact of this was and she said nothing. I obliged. She then went about printing the petition for name change (the court order that you can use as legal proof that you changed your name). In that petition, I was hoping my old name appears exactly as it is in my passport and not as what was changed to 2 minutes back for sake of convinience. This name change petition is a pretty important document for PIO I am told. I asked the officer to revert back to the right format. She had to do a manual change of some sort for the right names to appear.

Long story short, "Please be attentive to information on all the documents they give you before you sign them". They are amenable to making changes if there are mistakes or discrepencies.

Later guys, thanks for all the information from people before me. Great source to be the best prepared you can be.

Cheers

Congratulations!!!
Did you got the natalization certificate with the same full name(first name, full middle name, Last name) as it appears on Indian passport?

Last edited by a moderator:
Excel Sheet

Hi All

I was wondering if we can upload a excel sheet with all the details with timeline and other information ...dont you thing it will be easy for all to track the information for NJ ....if y'all interested i can put a template with my information in that ...is it a good idea :confused:

Congratulations!!!
Did you got the natalization certificate with the same full name(first name, full middle name, Last name) as it appears on Indian passport?

Proud US CITIZEN !

Dear Friends,
My immigration journey is finally over today with Interview and Oath at Newark.

N-400 processing time about 4 months.

Interview time was 9:40 AM. Reached 9:00 AM. Was called at @ 11:00 AM. Oath at the 2:00 PM schedule. Out by @2:45 PM

IO was polite but took time to ask questions and review form and testing. Interview took about 30 minutes.

On a side note - Wife also had interview and oath today. Her interview was very quick - between 5 - 10 minutes.

I want to say a big THANKS to this forum. The wealth of information has been invaluable. To all those who are still in anticipation - just hang in there and BEST WISHES.:)

Regards.

Congratulations!!!

No, The nat. cert has the new name. Along side this, there is a name change petition (A.K.A Court order) attached which lists the old name (as in my passport) and the new name.

Hope this helps. Ginnu, would not mind taking more questions if any.

Best

Last edited by a moderator:
09/25/2009: N-400 application sent
09/30/2009: RD (Lewisville TX)
10/01/2009: ND/PD
10/01/2009: Check cashed
10/06/2009: Notice received
10/07/2009: Status Changed to RFE (Apparently FP Notice)
10/27/2009: FP notice date
10/13/2009: FP notice received
**/**/***: FP Done
**/**/***: Interview Notice date
**/**/***: Interview Notice received
**/**/***: Yellow Notice received
**/**/***: Interview date
**/**/***: Oath completed

Still Not received the FP Notice

Hi All

I have also had a Status changed to RfE on 10/07/09 but still i have not received the FP Notice ...already 2 weeks still not got it :(

how do i check if they have mailed it .. what should i do...your help is greatly appreciated.

THanks

10/27/2009: FP notice date

Hi All

I have also had a Status changed to RfE on 10/07/09 but still i have not received the FP Notice ...already 2 weeks still not got it :(

how do i check if they have mailed it .. what should i do...your help is greatly appreciated.

THanks

One of my Friends online status changed that they sent RFE (fingerprint) on October 1 and he got the notice on Oct 16 and the date on Notice is October 5. I think they update the online status but actually mail the notice after 3-4 days from update date. If your home address Zip Code starts with 088 then expect delay of mail 2-4 days. Recently in NJ they have stopped Edison Postal sorting facility and now the post is sorted in North jersey and delay of postal delivery in zip codes starting with 088.

Thanks for the update

thanks ginnu

that puts me in the better frame of mind..i was so much worried...indeed my zip code does start with 088... should explain the delay in the delivery time..

thanks for the quick reply.

One of my Friends online status changed that they sent RFE (fingerprint) on October 1 and he got the notice on Oct 16 and the date on Notice is October 5. I think they update the online status but actually mail the notice after 3-4 days from update date. If your home address Zip Code starts with 088 then expect delay of mail 2-4 days. Recently in NJ they have stopped Edison Postal sorting facility and now the post is sorted in North jersey and delay of postal delivery in zip codes starting with 088.

10/28/2009: FP notice date

I just received the yellow letter myself on Oct 15, our dates are almost the same,
My status changed on the website to Testing and Interview
I did my FP on Sept 10th, hopping to get my ID before the holidays.
Write me if you get your ID before me, Thank you.

Hi Folks
I have interview for me and wife next week a Newark
I was just in dilemma, what documents to carry
I will be taking Old passport, GC (Employer based), SSN Card, Marriage certificate and Birth certificate
I am not sure should I carry Tax Returns, Salary Slips or Bank Statements etc

Update on Timeline - received the FP Notice Scheduled on 28th October.
for Zip Code 088
09/28/2009: N-400 application sent at 10:26 AM
09/30/2009: Received at 9:41 AM
10/01/2009: Notice date
10/02/2009: Priority date
10/05/2009: Check cashed
10/07/2009:Status Changed to RFE (FP Notice)
10/08/2009: Notice received
****for Zip Code starting 088 you got Notice in 8 days
10/08/2009: FP notice date
10/20/2009: FP notice received
****for Zip Code starting 088 you got FP notice 12 days after notice date. In past it used to take only 5-6 days for the mail.
10/28/2009:FP (To be completed)

Good Luck!!

for Zip Code 088
09/28/2009: N-400 application sent at 10:26 AM
09/30/2009: Received at 9:41 AM
10/01/2009: Notice date
10/02/2009: Priority date
10/05/2009: Check cashed
10/07/2009:Status Changed to RFE (FP Notice)
10/08/2009: Notice received
****for Zip Code starting 088 you got Notice in 8 days
10/08/2009: FP notice date
10/20/2009: FP notice received
****for Zip Code starting 088 you got FP notice 12 days after notice date. In past it used to take only 5-6 days for the mail.
10/28/2009:FP (To be completed)

Good Luck!!

and one more thing is i see the stamp that was printed on the letter cover from USCIS it shows OCT 8...that means they have mailed it on that day...i am really suprised it took 12 days to reach NJ... May the sorting facility got moved from Edison to edinburough :)..just kidding.

Got Citizenship last week, IO asked me very simple questions in civic test.

What is the capital of your state?
What is the supreme law of the land?
What is an amendment?
What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
Who did the United States fight in World War II?

IO did not ask me any traffic questions, just asked me if I have ever been arrested etc. IO asked me why I did not bring my wife, I told her that I did not know that I can bring her. I think it is better to bring your spouse or friend so that they can take photos at oath. Interview was very quick, probably around 7 mins.

Entire process took around 4 months.

Thanks

Started my journey to citizenship last Oct 19. What is approx. months to get citizenship ?

10/19/2009 -- Applications for me and my wife was sent to Lewisville TX
XX/XX/XXXX -- Date Received ???
XX/XX/XXX -- NOA ???
XX/XX/XXX -- Checked Cashed ???