New York City Transfers

Can someone clarify what exactly is the "name check"? How is it different from fingerprinting and background checks?

Thanks.

Gurus please shed some light on my situation.
On june 27th i had my interview, my wife was the
primary applicant and i was the derrivitive applicant
The interview went well the officer even ask us to go
across the street and get new pictures taken unfortunatley
only my wife passport was stamped, when question by my attorney
about me he asked her if the finger prints or the back ground check
was not completed she did not answer. all she did is gave him my passport
and work permit back.
1 week after i called the congressman office the immigration made a call
to the local NYC district office and they said that in the system they
dont show any notation from the officer why this case was pending normally
its noted in the system.
keep in mind i have a prior marriage case where i was asked to voluntary
leave the country due to not showing up for the interview.
I need advise .

Thanks

Morning, Gentelemen:
I came from the interview. Antisipating you first question, I will immediately answer that I did not get stamped, of course, because that would be too easy and contadicts the primary mission of INS to make everything as agonizing and frustrating as possible.
Anyway, we had a pleasant trip to Manhattan in 90 F heat. After waiting for about 2 hr on 8th floor, an officer took to us into a tiny room, asked question about drugs, terrorism etc., 2-3 min total. He asked only IRS transcripts and employement letter. Many of you know what happend next, the namecheck wasn't done yet, it takes from 1 month to 1 year to complete, average is 3 month (never mind my 485 was filed 2.5 years ago). As a personal touch he said he would check every 2 weeks whether it is done, after that we'll have another jolly ride to NYS to ge stamped.
The whole thing stroke me as absurd and grotesque. What was the point in the inteview if the security check wasn't done yet? Say the FBI report would say I'd been seen in Afganistan in 2002, wouldn't he like to ask me about it during the inteview?
So, we came back home with something scribbled in our passports about inteview been completed.

Steve,

Sorry to hear your story. If I remember correctly, your case was transferred to NYC in Aug. 2004. I can't believe the name check is not done yet.

Hi Steve

Sorry to hear about your "No Stamping"
It is always the ase with most of the people being interviewed nowadays. I hope you get through soon, Please post details when u get stamped

Newyorker012

NY-NIW said:
Steve,

Sorry to hear your story. If I remember correctly, your case was transferred to NYC in Aug. 2004. I can't believe the name check is not done yet.
You are right, my TD date is Aug. 31 2004. But I think you are too optimistic thinking they've sent FBI request immediately after the case got to NYC center.
What I think is happening (this is my guess) is that after your case is in NYC it sits for a while in a huge pile. After an examiner gets to it, he immediately generates three things: FP notice, inteview letter and FBI namecheck request, setting inteview date approx. 1 month ahead. In a month you show up for the interview and if the FBI check is not ready yet, he says sorry, you need another visit.

Steve,

One thing strange in my case is that my case was transferred to NYC on Aug. 2/04, and I received 2nd FP notice from VSC at the end of Aug./2004. Maybe nobody knows the exact logic behind the FP, name check and interview. It is a mess!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to know about no stamping. I heard that they can get the name check done at the same time. I don't know if that's correct. BTW, is your EB2 or EB3 ?

:)

wa2long said:
Sorry to know about no stamping. I heard that they can get the name check done at the same time. I don't know if that's correct. BTW, is your EB2 or EB3 ?

:)
My case is EB-1 OR.
I think all the difference that in Vermont a computer mails you FP notices every 15 month, this doesn't really mean anything, just cyberharassement. In a local center an examiner mails it to you when the case actually gets on his desk, which happens when your 485 RD is being processed. After that you'll have to wait until your namecheck is finished.

How Can We ...?

Hello!

Just wondering if we can write to the director of USCIS requesting to direct all local offices (if possible) to conduct and get results of all pertinent checks before scheduling interviews !?

Also urging him to request modestly quicker response for checks from FBI and other related offices.

I think you are correct. I don't know if there is a way to get some kind of name check (local county, fbi etc) done prior to going for the interview. That would be useful in case the officer says name check is pending.

Hi

does anyone know how to call the 800 number and get any sort of information on our case talking to someone, will they give us any info when we call?

Anyone contacted any senetor yet?

Newyorker012

All, We need help! we have mailed the address change request in early 2005 to NY local office. Persanally went to Local office (through info pass) and gave the address change letter to them in April 2005 and in July 2005. According to the information they have (in their system) it still shows old address. we are really worried about it. could somebody please advice what else we can do?

Thanks

on 07/07/05 my i485 was transfered to new york from vsc .does anyone know how long they take to schedule an interview .any idea please.i am EB3 ,PD 04/30/01 Thanks.

Hey Raman

Welcome to the board, According to your dates I think it will take you atleast a year or more. But urs will be quicker then us who go transferred in 2004 and still waiting.

Newyorker012

Hello Newyorker012 ! Thanks for your information and help. your quick response is really appreciated.my attorney gave me the same information . thanks ...raman.

NAme check my thought

Friends,
1) My guess is name checks are sent from service center.
2) When we go for interview, if they say name check is pending , You can
ask when the original request was sent.
3) Intervw will be only once, you will get the cards directly after name check
clear -- this is my guess and this is what happened in my case.
Since they take all the details on the interview they may not call us again.
Some info this may be irrelavent to many of us, I thought it will be use
full for the ones that are going for interview.