New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

When do you need to travel? If you have proof of travel within 14 days, you can apply in person at a Passport Agency. Don't confuse that with Acceptance facilities, like post offices. There is only 1 Agency on Hudson Street, Manhattan: http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_912.html

It says you need an appointment, but if you show proof of travel you can drop on.

I got it in 3 hours, but you can probably get it in 1 day (Monday for you, if you apply on Friday).

Application for Naturalization - Travel Philippines?
Im planning to submit my N400 application for Citizenship through Naturalization this month and Ive been browsing through forums and read that the process takes at least 6 months.. I have a trip that I paid for already to my home country and can't change that trip either.. if any of my interviews fall in the month of December, can I resched the appointments? What if its the Oath Taking, can I resched that too? Can I still travel using my green card and Philippines passport?

Im debating now whether to apply for it or just wait until I get back from the trip..

Any suggestions?

Thank you theory611 & jdawg9. I will call them again today and report back. I appreciate the tips.

Update: Spoke to a very nice tier 2 agent and was told the same thing. I asked what was the last action and was told that a supervisor still has to sign off on it. I asked why it was taking so long.....and she said it could be due to case load, etc, etc. This is different from what I had been told earlier when I spoke to tier 2............when they told me that I'm in the queue for an oath date.

I don't know if an Infopass would get me any further here. Some cases move quick while others wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Spoke to a very nice tier 2 agent and was told the same thing. I asked what was the last action and was told that a supervisor still has to sign off on it. I asked why it was taking so long.....and she said it could be due to case load, etc, etc. This is different from what I had been told earlier when I spoke to tier 2............when they told me that I'm in the queue for an oath date.

I don't know if an Infopass would get me any further here. Some cases move quick while others wait.

At the interview did you have any problems? Did the officer find any obstacles? Anything he told you he had to look it over: trips, arrests, etc?

No problem at the interview. I was given that sheet of paper at the interview that stated I was being recommended for approval.

Carmelo, I had a similar situation. My interview was Dec 1 2010 and everything went through fine. My record is clean and rep recommended for approval, yet, I had to wait until May 10th 2010 for them to send out the letter. A friend of mine who went in for interview after me, got his letter 2-3 weeks later and he was arrested a few times.

Patience is needed in these cases but after 90 days you can either decide to file for a lawsuit or keep waiting. Infopass doesn't really help much compared to speaking to a lvl2 rep and I was being told the same thing the two times I called in.

tetero.....thank you for the info. I guess I will have to wait at least 90 days which is towards the end of June. I will however, keep calling tier 2 every week for an update.

tetero.....thank you for the info. I guess I will have to wait at least 90 days which is towards the end of June. I will however, keep calling tier 2 every week for an update.

This really sucks. I think you have the classic case of a lazy officer/supervisor. Keep calling them. Its really weird someone would tell you that your case is waiting for secondary approval and someone else will tell you are waiting for the oath.

See if you can call a supervisor at your District Office (call directly the USCIS office- NYC, BK or Holtsville). After my interview I got a call from an officer supervisor saying my oath letter had returned to their office. She was extremely nice and gave me oath letter information over the phone a week after my interview. Keep calling until you get someone nice and able to help.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey Guys Just got this email....i was recommended for Approval on April 16th:

BELOW IS THE EMAIL, had anyone ever gotten that after recommded for email...how long will it take for me to get the oath after an email like this...
any info will help..
THANKS

Your Case Status: Post Decision Activity

On May 26, 2011, the supervisor review of your case was completed. We will mail you a notice once a final decision has been made. Please wait to receive the notice before you contact USCIS.

For approved applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include USCIS sending notification of the approved application/petition to the National Visa Center or the Department of State. For denied applications/petitions, post-decision activity may include the processing of an appeal and/or motions to reopen or reconsider and revocations.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results
listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within the current
processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375-5283.

*Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov under Check Processing Times.

*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Carmelo, you need to contact one of your senators... They will get the ball rolling for you... Best of luck and i'm praying you hear something very soon.

Carmelo, you need to contact one of your senators... They will get the ball rolling for you... Best of luck and i'm praying you hear something very soon.

Thank you very much CTNURSE. I will send a letter to my house representative first......and then follow up with Chuck Schumer.

Had interview done today and things weren't all that great. I passed the civics and history part and everything was going smoothly, he made me sign the form and said I passed, but later the IO asked for the 2010 tax transcripts, which I did not have and he also asked for recent utility bills and apt lease. I did provide everything when I submitted the N-400 but everything was based until Feb the month I submitted the form. I also submitted bunch of bank statements, Credit Card statements, taxes for 2007-2009 and old apt lease for the same address. And he seemed like a good fella.

At the end he gave 2 letters, 1 states that I passed the exam, the other a re-interview for Aug 29, to provide the evidence.

Now the big question is, if I can provide the evidence before that date by making a Infopass appointment?

OT: I'm sorry and I know this is off topic.........but did anyone get a warning over the past few days when you logged onto this forum. I got a warning that immigration.com was a phishing site, etc. etc.

OT: I'm sorry and I know this is off topic.........but did anyone get a warning over the past few days when you logged onto this forum. I got a warning that immigration.com was a phishing site, etc. etc.

Yup, i think the site was hacked! lol

This is one of the letters given to me today asking for more evidence:

Examination of your application (N-400) shows that additional information, documents or forms are needed before your application
can be acted upon. Please Return this letter with requested information and/or Documents by:
All Documents Must Be Hand Delivered on August 29,2011.

Failure to Do May Result In The denial Of Your Application

x Bank Letter or statement showing joint Bank Account for years most recent for 2011
x Credit Card Statement
x Utility Bills(gas,electric,telephone)
x ORIGINAL MORTGAGE ,DEED, OR LEASE SHOWING JOINT OWNERSHIP
X tAX TRANSCRIPTS FOR BOTH FOR BOTH YOU AND SPOUSE FROM I.R.S for the following years 2010.

This is the other one, scheduling a re-interview:

Request for Application to Appear for Naturalization Re-Interview

N400 Application for Naturalization
February 16, 2011

Please come to:
New York CITY dISTRICT oFFICE
26 fEDERAL pLAZA

On (Date): Monday,August 29, 2011
At (Time) 08:20 AM

You are hereby notifield to appear for an interview at the date, time and place indicated above, for the following reason:

Naturalization Re- Interview

You Must Bring The following with you to the interview:

This letter
your Alien registration card
your passport

Now do you still think I can still go before this date thru Infopass and provide the documentation needed?
I will do this in an instant if I can avoid all that wait till August.

Last edited by a moderator: