New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Thanks DeBousse and Jdawg. Jdawg, Wow you travelled while oath is pending? That was gutsy.

Liker, did you have interview today? How did it do?

Liker, did you have interview today? How did it do?
Passed the interview, it was not bad even after I typing mistakes on my form. I told the IO before she started the interview about the two mistakes and she corrected and verified the info I told telling her. May be being honest helped me. I have to tell people make sure you read the forms 10 times before you submit it otherwise its unnecessary mental stress.

Now another wait begins, it really sucks that NY doesnt have same day oath, now we have to wait for another month for it.

Jdawg, Wow you travelled while oath is pending? That was gutsy.
Yes, it was the Montreal Formula 1 Grand Prix racing weekend and I was not going to miss it, lol. I have to admit, not the brightest decision I made it in my life. It cut really close. The oath was at 8:30am in Holtsville and I returned home at 6am. After driving overnight back. There was an accident on I-87 which two trucks collided, I got lucky I was near the scene and was able to pass after 1 hour of waiting. They eventually closed the highway I heard on the radio, and if I was a little late driving, I would have missed the oath.

Regarding the oath, it was really uneventful. Very long and dull except for the judges speech, which was very inspiring. No silly videos or unnecessary overly patriotic stuff. I got there around 7:50am, waited with coffee in the parking lot until around 8:20am and went in. Leave your cell phones in the car, in Holtsville since the oath is at a federal courthouse, you can't bring cell phone or cameras inside. They ask you to leave it in a bin and they give you a number to retrieve it later. I went back and put in my car. The thought of them going through my iphone pictures and stuff and find something incriminating, lol (paranoia kicked in).

After the security check point, you go to a court room where, they put you to seat in rows of 10 by the order you come in. They call each row to form a line where they take your green card and check your answers to questionnaire in the back of the oath notice. When my turn came up, I responded YES to have you traveled outside the USA since the interview. The officer from USCIS, who I understand has to talk to 175 people and keep the flow of the process going smoothly was incredibly rude saying I needed to show him my passport. When I told him I had it in the car, which I only happened to have it there because I had just come back from a 24 hour day trip to Montreal, Canada by car and it was still in my car. I explained to him and pointed to the oath letter, that passport was not listed as documents to be brought in and I even offered to go get it if it would create any issues for not having it. He again very rudely said that in my case, I had to bring it and what good it did being in my car and not in front of him. I then responded by saying that I crossed by land and there is nothing in my passport indicating that I went there, no stamp, etc. He then said, "OH, since you went by land, its OK, no record of you leaving is anywhere" so he wrote, Canada 1 day in my oath letter and signed. Then you go to another desk, where you check if your certificate is correct and then sign it and return to them. The whole process seems straight forward but for the most part, sorry to say this, there are a ton of people who can't follow simple directions and delay the whole thing. Then after about 175 people goes through this, it took about 1.5 hours.

Then you are asked to be seated and the judge comes in. He gave us a moving 15 minute speech then we do read the oath repeating after the judge. Then we do the pledge of allegiance, then congratulations you are citizen! After that, the judges leaves and they call your name by that order you came in, (by rows) hand your certificate and you leave.

A day later (today), I went in for my appointment at the passport agency which I had scheduled about 2 weeks ago. I got there at 7:15am and was out by 9am with a notice to pick up my passport at today between noon and 4pm since I have a plane ticket for tonight at 10pm to UK. I applied for 52-page passport book and card. I picked up both at my lunch break since I work only a subway ride away and I noticed that they are both 10 year documents. The 52-page passport is really thick, almost 3 times as thick as my native country's passport.

So I guess this marks the end of my dealings with the USCIS. The only thing left is to update my SS information to reflect citizenship status and be done.

For emergency passport in NYC, do they need confirmed purchased tickets or confirmed itinery? If itinery, I can get one from any travel agent and get the passport that same day and get done with it.

Gratz jdawg9. I finally found time to post my experience about my naturalization ceremony.

It was on June 10th at 225 Cadman Plaza and there were about 200ish people inside the court room waiting. Process pretty much as describe by jdawg9 and it took me about 3hrs until I left the Court House. I must admit, it was a pretty nice feeling to walk out of there being a citizen.

Liker, yes you need proof of your travel if you need to have your passport done the same day.

Liker, yes you need proof of your travel if you need to have your passport done the same day.

Is itinery from travel agent enough?

The instructions on the 800 appointment number says they need an airline generated ticket, hotel reservation or letter in company letter head stating travel need and dates. I took my e-ticket print out from e-mail and they accepted.

The guy in front of me got turned away because he had a letter from Delta that was not in company letterhead. They even tried to a call a number to verify but since they were unable to verify the validity, they told him to come back with a proper letter.

ray,

I also had my interview in March and passed both tests. I am still waiting for the OL. I have called a dozen times to get updates........but not much info.

Some have gotten their OL in a couple weeks....while some like me continue to wait.

BTW, I'm surprised your status changed. My status hasn't changed since "Testing & Interview".

i called yesterday and they send another request to nyc office, i just got a email today with this.

The status of this service request is:

A review of your case indicates that it was review ed by the supervisor - given back to the interviewing officer who completed your case and sent to reverification (which is a second go over). 120 days will occur on July 7th. If you do not have your oath appointment letter by that date contact one more time and tell the Service it has now been 120 days - to check your case if not received oath date. It appears everything is in order at this time.

If you have any further questions, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

i had 2 infopass and they said i cant speak to IO now i have to wait 120 days. but i called yesterday the 800 number they sent request to nyc office, i got an email today saying...

A review of your case indicates that it was review ed by the supervisor - given back to the interviewing officer who completed your case and sent to reverification (which is a second go over). 120 days will occur on July 7th. If you do not have your oath appointment letter by that date contact one more time and tell the Service it has now been 120 days - to check your case if not received oath date. It appears everything is in order at this time.

If you have any further questions, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

I had my interview today, was recommended for approval, will post my overall experience later. I just realized that on the N652 , the officer made a mistake on the date of the interview which is the 16, she put 15 instead, is that an issue?

i had 2 infopass and they said i cant speak to IO now i have to wait 120 days. but i called yesterday the 800 number they sent request to nyc office, i got an email today saying...

But on ur previous post, u said ur case has been approved by supervisor. Now it goes back to IO for reverifications?!
Can you call that number and ask them why ur case transfered back to IO? Is there additional documents that you can provide to speed up your case?

Most likely u will receive oath before 7/7/2011.
That is what i think...

hey theory611
thanks for keeping up with me.
i called again today they said ur case is approved by supervisor, but it has to go back to the interviewing officer to make sure nothing changed since march.

hey theory611
thanks for keeping up with me.
i called again today they said ur case is approved by supervisor, but it has to go back to the interviewing officer to make sure nothing changed since march.

Its standard.u should be fine.

Hi there , I should of not reply to you , But I have one simple question ! its about my N-400 application, wondering if you know anything about this case.
I have passed my naturalization Test on February 12, 2010 , since than no oath letter, on may 13, 2011 I have received second fingerprints, which is due on June 27, 2011 , does that mean that i have to take the second naturalization TEST too ? or the officer will go through the application to see if everything is the same nothing has changed
because this is really frustrating me.

Hi there , I should of not reply to you , But I have one simple question ! its about my N-400 application, wondering if you know anything about this case.
I have passed my naturalization Test on February 12, 2010 , since than no oath letter, on may 13, 2011 I have received second fingerprints, which is due on June 27, 2011 , does that mean that i have to take the second naturalization TEST too ? or the officer will go through the application to see if everything is the same nothing has changed
because this is really frustrating me.

Have u called or make inforpass on your case? half year is really long waiting time. I think u should make inforpass to speak with your IO, at least u need to know why it is taking so long. They should make decision in 120 days. Except ur background check is pending, but u have been interviewed, that means ur background check is completed.
Let us know

I mailed out my N-400 on 1/19,
1/25,NOA
After a while, March 1, I still didn't get a Finger Print appointment, I called in. And they said they will have an update within 90 days.
On June 1, I got a letter for my Interview 7/6/2011.

So somehow they skipped the FP process??
or they look at my FP from the immigration case?? I was in an immigration case and got wavier out of it on 12/13. I got my FP for that case done on November.
Will they look at the FP record back at Nov. so I don't have to redo the FP?

Will this a mistake, more likely I will send back for FP?