New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

thanks Tvdie23 for the response..

I completed my Walk-In Biometrics today.

Can you actually do walk in biometrics before the date you are scheduled?
My finger prints will be taken on 7/21, can I actually go earlier?
what is the requirement of it?
Appreciate your inputs.

Can you actually do walk in biometrics before the date you are scheduled?
My finger prints will be taken on 7/21, can I actually go earlier?
what is the requirement of it?
Appreciate your inputs.
My husband did it. His FP was on 2/18. He did it on 2/10. There's no harm in trying. Good Luck!

theory611: My ASC is located on Westchester Ave, Bronx, NY. If you happened to have the same location as mine, I am pretty sure you will be able to do it. I was able to do walk-in both times for my GC as well as this time. Just walk-in and don't mention about anything, just hand the letter to the security desk and if they accept it, then you are fine. Like fn2 said, "no harm in trying". Worst case, they will ask you to come back on your exact appointment date. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
To Sign Or not to

Have oath tomorrow. In one of the last minute dilemmas, I started wondering do we need to sign and date the form after filling the questionnaire on the back of the naturalization form....

For interview you did not have to. What to do for oath?

Got oath done today

It was relatively easy. Got there early by 7:50. Oath time was listed as 8:30. Buut Oath did not take place until 10:00. But oath process and judge's speech was just 10 minutes long. Most of the time was spent in officers going to through oath letter questions and collecting green cards. I was in the second row so I got out early too because they call out names in the same order.I was out by 10:15.

Feels good to know that you do not have to deal with USCIS anymore. Not that I had any major problems with them in the past. Just good to know that you do not have to change address every time you move :)

Did not apply for passport yet. But will get to it next week.....

It was relatively easy. Got there early by 7:50. Oath time was listed as 8:30. Buut Oath did not take place until 10:00. But oath process and judge's speech was just 10 minutes long. Most of the time was spent in officers going to through oath letter questions and collecting green cards. I was in the second row so I got out early too because they call out names in the same order.I was out by 10:15.

Feels good to know that you do not have to deal with USCIS anymore. Not that I had any major problems with them in the past. Just good to know that you do not have to change address every time you move :)

Did not apply for passport yet. But will get to it next week.....

IndoKiddo, we were there too today, glad its over. Oath, pledge and speech I would say was much less than 10 minutes, we were out by 10:25am. Too bad, we cannot know people from this amazing forums, people here answers to practically everything. Great job guys, keep it up.

Hey Guys,

I received an email from USCIS stating "I have been placed in line for interview scheduling" on 07/12. Anybody know on average how long does it normally take to receive the interview letter for NYC district office from this point on? thanks.

Interview experience at 26 Federal Plaza

Hello All,

Contrary to what I read (mostly) about Federal Plaza experience on the forum, I had a very pleasant interview this morning.

My appointment was at 7AM. Arrived at 6:20. Turned in the appointment letter at 7:20. Called in at 7:40. Interview completed at 7:55. Got the oath appointment letter at 8:30.

The Greencard and the Passport are the only documents requested.

Civics/Reading/Wrting test and application review. No other questions.

I have been following this thread for a while. Thanks to everyone esp. Vorpal.

Goodluck.

i had my oath on TUE, i got my PASSPORT yesterday, and iam USC now. thank you guys for all your help, you guys r the best keep it going.

GOD BLESS THE USA.

Update:

I finally received a response letter from USCIS 118 days after my interview date (just two days shy of the 120 days). Its an RFE letter and a request to appear on August 16th before another agent (not the one who interviewed initially).

This follow up letter comes after repeated calls and request for updates that I began a few weeks after the interview in March. They kept on saying they are doing further processing on the case before an oath letter can be issued.

In my opinion, the speed of which you get the oath letter has to be related to your prior country of citizenship. If the prior country of citizenship has a visa waiver agreement with the United States.......then I forsee a speedy N-400 process. "maxkopp" has stated that the oath letter was even received the same day of the interview at 26 Federal Plaza.

Which country/part of the world are you from? Did you apply on 3y or 5y basis?

Update:

I finally received a response letter from USCIS 118 days after my interview date (just two days shy of the 120 days). Its an RFE letter and a request to appear on August 16th before another agent (not the one who interviewed initially).

This follow up letter comes after repeated calls and request for updates that I began a few weeks after the interview in March. They kept on saying they are doing further processing on the case before an oath letter can be issued.

In my opinion, the speed of which you get the oath letter has to be related to your prior country of citizenship. If the prior country of citizenship has a visa waiver agreement with the United States.......then I forsee a speedy N-400 process. "maxkopp" has stated that the oath letter was even received the same day of the interview at 26 Federal Plaza.

Update:

"maxkopp" has stated that the oath letter was even received the same day of the interview at 26 Federal Plaza.

I think, it depends on your interview time and the size of your file. If your interview is scheduled before noon and your USCIS file is relatively small, then they will hand out the oath letter the same day. I could be wrong though.

I had my oath ceremony taken on July 22nd on third floor. I'm officially USC now.

Hi everyone, I have a particular situation and I can't find straight answers to it.

I'm a Dutch native, been living in the US for 8 years and been married to a US citizen for 9 years. I applied for resident status through the US Consulate in Holland. All has been fine but I am currently in the process of applying for my citizenship here in the US. Now, there are some bumps in the road and I'm not certain how to navigate them:

When I was 15 years old I was arrested for unlawful entry. This was considered juvenile crime and was going to be absolved when I reached 18. I have no criminal record in either Holland or the US. Further, I have verified that all juvenile records have have been destroyed in 2004 and so there is really nothing on my record or even proof there was ever a charge or an arrest. So far so good.

However, when I applied to become a permanent resident 8 years ago, the form asked if I was EVER arrested, charged, convicted, etc. Wanting to answer truthfully, I filled in there was a charge of unlawful entry but it was dismissed. This does mean the information is on my application for permanent resident.

Now that I'm working on my citizenship application, the same question is there, and it also states I need to provide documents that prove my criminal history or lack thereof. Does this mean I need a police clearance or otherwise a statement of good behavior from the Dutch justice? I'm not even sure what I need, or if I need it, or.... sigh... I'm getting really confused about what to do.

Do I just fill in that there was an arrest but since it was me being a minor (which the date/year you have to fill in would imply) not seek to provide any proof of this? I do know it's possible to get a proof of good conduct from the Dutch justice, but I also know this is not always accepted by other governments. So I'm at a loss how to move forward. Please help. Thank you...

Hi Any one went to Holtsvill long Island for N400 Interview this month for 5 year Citizenship Interview. Would appricitae if you can post your experience. Thx