New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Congrats to you all who passed the interview and became US citizen.

I have few questions regarding the filing using 5years GC rule, do i need to bring to the interview, my 5 years federal and state tax transcript and also what are type of documents is accepted as proof of staying in new york for 3 months??

I was not asked for tax transcripts and I did not show them ( though I had with me). My wife was asked for Fed tax. For proof of residence and identity all they asked for was the drivers license( Though I carried my reals estate tax bills). You should carry utility bill/copy of your lease/real estate tax/ etc as a proof of residence. Not that they always ask for them.

Please comment on my timeline

I filed for an N-400 recently and have not received an update to my case status since December 2010:

12/14/10 - Priority Date (Application received by USCIS)
12/28/10 - Biometrics NOA with a fingerprint appointment date of January 14th, 2011
01/05/11 - Biometrics completed (Ahead of the appointment date)

For the past 5 weeks, the case status has not changed and shows "Request For Evidence". After browsing this forum, I came to know that the RFE is most likely the Biometrics Letter I received.

I contacted the Customer Service Center a few times and they not been able to provide any more info that the website and suggested I make an InfoPass appointment.

How long before I receive the supposed "yellow" letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an appointment scheduled today for 7:55am this morning at the Federal Plaza in NY. Braved the piles of snow and got there at 7am. I was turned back by the security guard who told me the office was closed due to the snow storm, and further went to tell me I could come back tomorrow. After going back and forth with him, he got his supervisor to confirm to me that they were closed.
When I got home, I called the 1-800 number and spoke to customer service. He told me he had no information the office was closed and that if indeed it was, I shouldn't turn up the following day as advised, that another letter would be sent to me in the mail to re-schedule my appointment.

Anyone from the last Snow storm have this experience? My question is, should I bother to go tomorrow and give it a try? Or should I just wait another letter? It is hard enough getting 2 days off from work as it is..

DO - NY

08/02/2010 : N-400 Sent (Priority Mail) to TX
08/09/2010 : Received Date
08/09/2010 : Priority Date
08/12/2010 : Checks Cashed
08/21/2010 : NOA Rec.
xx/xx/20xx : Rec. FP Letter
xx/xx/20xx : FP Scheduled
xx/xx/20xx : FP Done
xx/xx/20xx : Interview Letter
xx/xx/20xx : Interview Date
xx/xx/20xx : Oath Date

I also went there on the 27th of January. I don't know why they closed down when all of NY State Courts were open for business. I wasted my day too.
Do you have any updates to your timeline?

Hello Carmelo,
I got a letter that rescheduled me for next week Tuesday Feb 15th at 9:55am. I will post updates later.

Folks, I just spoke with USCIS and due the bad weather we had in NYC, a lot of people will have to wait (oath and interviews). The lady who spoke with me on the phone told me that will take me at least more 30 days to hear from them about my oath letter. I had my N-400 interview 90 days ago and will probably have my oath only in april. So lets brace ourselves because major delays will happen .

Folks, I just spoke with USCIS and due the bad weather we had in NYC, a lot of people will have to wait (oath and interviews). The lady who spoke with me on the phone told me that will take me at least more 30 days to hear from them about my oath letter. I had my N-400 interview 90 days ago and will probably have my oath only in april. So lets brace ourselves because major delays will happen .

That's just an excuse for her to justify her answer. A few snow days in January won't significantly affect overall processing speed of adjudication.
You still have a right to sue them 120 days after interview if you don't receive an answer by then.

This is simply not true.

I had my interview scheduled for 1/27. The office was closed on that day, due to the snowstorm. I went in tomorrow, and was interviewed. I got my oath letter 7 days later. My ceremony is scheduled for 2/18. If you have been waiting over 90 days for your oath letter, something else is up, not the snow. I think you should escalate the matter.

I filed for an N-400 recently and have not received an update to my case status since December 2010:

12/14/10 - Priority Date (Application received by USCIS)
12/28/10 - Biometrics NOA with a fingerprint appointment date of January 14th, 2011
01/05/11 - Biometrics completed (Ahead of the appointment date)

For the past 5 weeks, the case status has not changed and shows "Request For Evidence". After browsing this forum, I came to know that the RFE is most likely the Biometrics Letter I received.

I contacted the Customer Service Center a few times and they not been able to provide any more info that the website and suggested I make an InfoPass appointment.

How long before I receive the supposed "yellow" letter.

I don't think you have much reason to be impatient yet.
I had my bio on 11/24, and got my interview letter on 12/29 (and the yellow letter a day later).

Congrats to you all who passed the interview and became US citizen.

I have few questions regarding the filing using 5years GC rule, do i need to bring to the interview, my 5 years federal and state tax transcript and also what are type of documents is accepted as proof of staying in new york for 3 months??

I was asked for tax transcripts, but didn't have them. It wasn't a problem. I was also asked for a marriage certificate (I am married to a US citizen, but my GC was employment based), I did not have that either, and that wasn't a problem either. I was asked for NYS driver's license (the only item in my yellow letter, state ID is acceptable too), which I assume is proof of residency in NYS (and I did have it - I suspect it would have been a problem if I did not have it).

I don't think you have much reason to be impatient yet.
I had my bio on 11/24, and got my interview letter on 12/29 (and the yellow letter a day later).

Thank you very much for your input. You're right......it seems like everyone gets their IL about a month (more or less) after their BioMetRx appointment. I will wait till the end of February.

OMG! I am going to sing a song!

It's over, it's over! it's finally over! I had my oath today, got my citizen papers. after 9 years in USA. What a journey, I can almost write a poem with all my emotions!

Tks for everyone who shared and support my citizen Journey! and Amigos, Hasta la vistaaaaaaaaaaa!

Update:

Just received the yellow letter today. Yay!!! Thank you again nyc-2010.

P.S. Are you allowed to bring your spouse to the interview? I brought my husband to my BioMetrx for support & to interpret.

Update:

Just received the yellow letter today. Yay!!! Thank you again nyc-2010.

P.S. Are you allowed to bring your spouse to the interview? I brought my husband to my BioMetrx for support & to interpret.

Keep in mind that you will be tested for your knowledge of English language, and it's not just about reading and writing a sentence. Part of the test will be your ability to carry a conversation with the interviewer. If you are going to need an interpreter, that could be a problem.

Also, I am not sure if you would even be allowed to have your husband present. I know you can bring a lawyer, but I am not sure about family members, friends, etc. Maybe someone else could offer an insight on that.

Man, almost 3 months since I had my interview on Dec 1st 2010 and the IO told me it would take few weeks for the oath ceremony letter. After 90 days, should I do a infopass or send a e-request online?

Man, almost 3 months since I had my interview on Dec 1st 2010 and the IO told me it would take few weeks for the oath ceremony letter. After 90 days, should I do a infopass or send a e-request online?

You could go for an Infopass now to inquire about your case. No need to wait until 90 day post interview mark.

Thanks Bobsmyth. Just did the infopass and it won't be until March 1st... so I guess I have to wait the 90 days.

Update..

Had my interview today. My appointment was for 9:55am, but I got there at 8am. I was interviewed by an elderly lady. Very professional, polite, but not overly friendly. I had made a copy of all the required documents and clipped them together. She asked me for my name, and told me to give her my passport. Then proceded to ask me to swear that i will tell the truth to all the answers asked.
Asked me 10 questions, I got all of them, then asked me to read two sentences and finally asked me to write down a sentence she dictated.
After that, she asked for my documents, I asked her if she needed the originals or the copies, told me to give her the originals. Went through each of the document and cross-checked with what I had sent in earlier during the application. After an uncomfortable length of time, (felt like 20mins, but I am sure it must have been no more than 2 mins), she asked me if anything had changed in my status, address, work, if I had gotten arrested between when the application was submitted and today, If I have had any problems with my neighbors and co-op management at my residence, I answered 'no' to all the questions, but told her, there has been an addition to the family as we had a baby in November, I then gave her some pictures and the babys birth certificate....more uncomfortable silence while she types away at her computer. Then she gives me the good news that she was recommending me for approval, and if I was patient, I could wait for my oath letter.
After another 45mins, she calls me back and hands me an oath letter for 8:30am on March 4th.
I am still short of words and not very sure how happy I should be, but one thing I know, I do feel like throwing a party....

p.s My timeline is on this link..
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?hl=en&key=tUWiQW81eoWyilj3YgVUTsw&hl=en#gid=17