New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Hello All,

I am a newbie too, just registered today.

I have a similar story as to jesshe and tetero.

My interview was on 12/1/10 and was told the same as jesshe, that you have passed but the supervisor has to approve the case.

So that makes three of us with the interview date of 12/1/10 and delayed forever. hmmm some trend?

But I am optimistic that we should all get approved within this month or the latest by next.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK,Good news from my end. I received the Oath letter the same day. So hang in there guys,you'll should be getting it shortly.Oath is for 28th jan. Good luck

OK,Good news from my end. I received the Oath letter the same day. So hang in there guys,you'll should be getting it shortly.Oath is for 28th jan. Good luck

Great news for you! and congratz. I'm here still waiting lol....its just taking so long...

wow, 3 people that had interview on 12/1 got delay, anyway, I almost feel like I am one of the grand mom who sees people came and go, and I am still here getting older and older, anyway i have not got anything yet and still waiting.

Hi, Im also a newbie and wanted to share with you guys that I had my interview on 11/08/2010. Not a word from USCIS since. I thought my case was pretty straight forward . My husband and I spent 3 years overseas on a hardship tour (from jun/2006 to jun/2009-husband was in the Army).Anyways, I got in touch with our Congresswoman and Im waiting to see how things will turn. Im supposed to call back to her office in the end of this month. Very upsetting situation :(

Got letter finally took me 2 month after interview for my oath C.

2/9 my oath ! Wow! Finally, What a relive ...

congratz jesshe, i hope that means mine will be coming soon!.

Did you also get a notification of your case status changed? or you didn't sign up for it?

my passport and citizenship certificate arrived today. i thought it was pretty fast, as I did not pay for any rush service. :)

DO: BROOKLYN, NYC
12/09/2010 : Lewisville Tx
12/13/2010 : N-400 Rec. Dallas, Tx
12/20/2010 : NOA Rec.
12/28/2010 : Rec. FP letter
01/13/2011 : FP Scheduled 01/07/2011 : FP walked in & done
-/-/2011 :YL Received
-/-/2011 : Case sent to local off.
-/-/2011 : Interview Letter
-/-/2011: Interview Date / OATH LETTER
-/-/2011: Oath & USC
-/-/2011: Passport Application
-/-/2011 (x): Passport Received

I had an appointment scheduled today for 7:55am this morning at the Federal Plaza in NY. Braved the piles of snow and got there at 7am. I was turned back by the security guard who told me the office was closed due to the snow storm, and further went to tell me I could come back tomorrow. After going back and forth with him, he got his supervisor to confirm to me that they were closed.
When I got home, I called the 1-800 number and spoke to customer service. He told me he had no information the office was closed and that if indeed it was, I shouldn't turn up the following day as advised, that another letter would be sent to me in the mail to re-schedule my appointment.

Anyone from the last Snow storm have this experience? My question is, should I bother to go tomorrow and give it a try? Or should I just wait another letter? It is hard enough getting 2 days off from work as it is..

We had an Inforpass (to check on N-600 form) and were turned down. Only the court was open, the rest is closed. Same story..... Well, the bank branch next to my office is closed (no-workers inside)..... what a winter.... I felt sorry for people who came for interviews today and were turned away....

I had an appointment scheduled today for 7:55am this morning at the Federal Plaza in NY. Braved the piles of snow and got there at 7am. I was turned back by the security guard who told me the office was closed due to the snow storm, and further went to tell me I could come back tomorrow. After going back and forth with him, he got his supervisor to confirm to me that they were closed.
When I got home, I called the 1-800 number and spoke to customer service. He told me he had no information the office was closed and that if indeed it was, I shouldn't turn up the following day as advised, that another letter would be sent to me in the mail to re-schedule my appointment.

Anyone from the last Snow storm have this experience? My question is, should I bother to go tomorrow and give it a try? Or should I just wait another letter? It is hard enough getting 2 days off from work as it is..

I too had an interview scheduled for today. At 2:30pm though, and streets and sidewalks were clear already, so it wasn't so bad getting there. It's just that I've wasted a day off too. The building was open, but security guard told me that immigration offices on the third floor are closed, as all no-essential government offices were closed today.

He did say I should come back tomorrow, but of course he is just a security guard and wouldn't know.
By Googling "N-400 interview snow" (I can't post links here yet) I found that it looks like the procedure is that all of us who had the interview scheduled for today in NYC will now have to wait for about a week to get a new interview letter, with a new date, likely about a month from now.

A bummer, to be sure, but... what can you do.

Hi Alkebulan - I had the same issue yesterday. I went in today morning at 7:55 AM and got the FP done. I don't think you need to wait for a new letter.

Tks tetero,nyc_ues and Olia, and to respond to your question tetero, nothing changed online, and I didn't sign up for notification.

JESSHE
Its good to see that you finally got your Oath Letter! It did take a while , sorry for not being on the forum in a while, i know that it might seems like after i'm finally a citizen i forget about all those who apply with and around me who might need advice or may have questions, just like the ones i had when i applied, which was propmtly answered by you and so many other forum members, but i was busy with work. Wish you all the best and hang in there. Thanks to all for your support! And i will try to come on the forum a little more.

Finally I became an US citizen! It took me almost 3 months from interview to oath. Hope that helps calm the nerves of those who are waiting for their oath letter (my case was straightforward, based on 5 years green card rule).
8/10/2010: N400 application received by Lewisville TX
9/7/2010: FP DONE
10/9/2010: Interview letter plus yellow letter received
11/9/2010: Interview in Federal Plaza, NYC: "recommended for approval"
1/21/2011: Oath letter received
2/4/2011: Oath taken