New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

see Jehsse... your interview is before mine :)

are you going to federal plaza as well?

yes, Federal plaza too, so i can use the subway save some money on car service, tk you for answering my questions and calm me down :) . now studing fully about my citizenship questions!

I got a happy birthday email from the forum, which reminded my to post my complete story. My oath will be today!

NYC: Queens resident
-------------------------
05/14 Mailed
05/17 Received, PD
05/26 Check cashed
05/28 NA received
06/12 Biometrics notice recevied
06/22 Biometrics appt./done
09/15 Status changed to "Testing and Interview"
09/17 Interview letter received
10/20 Interview date -- approved
10/20 Oath letter given ~2hours after interview
11/02 Oath date & Birthday!

Btw, I did research of question 20> who is one of your states US senators now?

is New York State Senator Reverend Ruben Diaz ?

and another answer is

State Senators: Sen. Hillary Clinton (Democrat) (will change) & Sen. Charles Schumer (Democrat)

Just double checking. to see which one is the correct answer?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys, I am studing question 23, Name Your U.S. Representative.

I check following website: http://www.house.gov/ and type my zip code + 4 digital, it show me my house of representatives. Is that how you find out who is your u.s representatives?

Am I right? House of representatives = u.s representatives?

I also goggled it give me different name on Google each time. pls advice. thank you!

I took my oath yesterday. Happy to be a U.S. citizen and happy to be finally done with USCIS. My ceremony was at Cadman Plaza, Brooklyn. Even though I left my house very early, I still got stuck in traffic and was 20 minutes later than the time stated on my OL. However, I haven't missed anything, the registration just started. This was the longest part of the whole process. Then ceremony itself took 15 minutes, very short speech from the judge, 10 more minutes for everybody to receive their certificates. I was a little upset because there was no anthem singing, no hand shaking, no pictures taking, no getting up when countries are called (no info how many people were there in general, and many people from each country). But that wasn't that important. The important thing is that now I am a U.S. citizen! And it feels great!

Congrats Olia, check your pm.....

I got my Oath Letter this past Saturday 11/07/10.. I'm so exausted and happy at the same time. I got so much weight lifted off my back. its going to be over soon.. Oath is on 11/19th
in (Orange County)Goshen NY @ the Government building. >> NO NYC traffic or parking!!!!

WOW thanks to eveyone on this site that helped me. You guys are all amazing!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!

Hi,
Is anyone here from Queens, NY and has applied for naturalization in August or September?
It’s been 40 days since I had my FP done and my case still hasn’t been transferred to local office.
How long does it usually take to get the case transferred after FP?

GIHDIR
40 days is not that long, your case moved faster than a lot of us in nyc,( dates between when n400 was sent and fingerprint schedule date) look at my signature,you should get a transfer soon!

Hi knavigator, thanks for your reply. :)
I looked at the N-400 tracker file on Google to compare my timeline to others.
Unfortunately NYC area is really underrepresented on that spreadsheet and I couldn’t get much useful information.
I hope I can find some people on this forum that have similar filing time and location as me, so we can gauge our progress together.
BTW as luck would have it, I opened my mailbox yesterday and I found the Yellow Letter inside. :) (signature updated)

I took my oath yesterday. Happy to be a U.S. citizen and happy to be finally done with USCIS. My ceremony was at Cadman Plaza, Brooklyn. Even though I left my house very early, I still got stuck in traffic and was 20 minutes later than the time stated on my OL. However, I haven't missed anything, the registration just started. This was the longest part of the whole process. Then ceremony itself took 15 minutes, very short speech from the judge, 10 more minutes for everybody to receive their certificates. I was a little upset because there was no anthem singing, no hand shaking, no pictures taking, no getting up when countries are called (no info how many people were there in general, and many people from each country). But that wasn't that important. The important thing is that now I am a U.S. citizen! And it feels great!

Congratulations Olia! Also, I would like to thank you for responding to my questions before, sorry it took me a while to reply. I haven't been here for the past few weeks. Congratz again! :)

Congratz on passing the interview! I just wanted to know if you had to show your original marriage certificate and your husband's naturalization certificate?

Had my 10/19 at Garden City. My interview was at 9am. There were lot of people waiting in the interview lobby and I was called in to interview at 9:50am.

I applied for US Citizenship on the basis on my marriage to a US Citizen. My interview lasted only 15 minutes. The officer was very professional and kept discussion to a minimum. He asked me to raise my right hand and swore me in. Then he asked me take out my passports and Green card and put them on the table.

He went thru my N-400 application form and confirmed if I am still living at the same address, still married etc. Then he checked the last section of the form and asked me if I agree to follow the rules, enlist in armed forces if necessary, etc. Then, he went thru my Civics and English questions.

1. what is the supreme law of the land?
2. what is an amendment?
3. who can vote?
4. what is the capital of NY state?
remaining 2 i forgot..

english section:
asked me to read "where is the white house?" -

written section:
asked me to write "white house is in washington dc".

Then he asked me to submit 3 years of tax returns (IRS transcripts), bank statements (gave last 3 mos statements), child's birth cerificates. Then he placed it in my file and said he approved my case for oath. I was asked to wait for my Oath Letter downstairs. Had to wait for almost 1 hour and I take oath at 100 Federal Plaza in Central Islip on 11/1.

One funny nugget of information. While, I was waiting in the interview lobby, another person was waiting for his name to be called with his lawyer (to cover for him as he was arrested once). Lawyer was shocked when the guy told him he didn't prepare the civic questions. The lawyer then started asking questions from the USCIS 100 questions book.

Lawyer: What are 2 rights of people living in the United States?
Guy said: Vote in an election.
Lawyer: USE YOUR HEAD. You live in the US, do you vote?

End result : Guy passed the interview and is scheduled for oath along with me. Somehow found it funny.

Bottomline is guys who are waiting and nervously preparing for the test, chill out and take it easy. It will be fine. All the best.

STATUS UPDATE

DO: NYC
05/07/2010 : N-400 Sent - Lewisville, TX (via UPS)
05/10/2010 : N-400 Rec.
05/20/2010 : Checks Cashed
05/10/2010 : Receipt PD
05/24/2010 : NOA Rec.
06/21/2010 : Rec. FP letter;
07/14/2010 : FP Scheduled
06/23/2010 : FP done
07/23/2010 : YL Received
07/20/2010 : YL Date
09/14/2010 : Case sent to local off.
09/17/2010 : Interview Letter
10/19/2010 : Interview Date @ Garden City (PASSED)
11/01/2010 : Oath Date
xx/xx/2010 : USC Date
xx/xx/2010 : Passport Application
xx/xx/2010 : Passport Received

I had 2 weeks ago.
I passed the history and civic test but the IO (who was an old totallyunpleasant b..ch category woman) scheduled me for a 2nd interview just because my husband doesn’t live in US. She’s big pain was why am I applying for citizenship if my husband live outside US and if I am a resident of that country.
And what if yes?
If nothing “wrong” with me ( I meet all the requirements, Enough days spent inside US, paid taxes, no criminal record not even a speeding ticket, I have job, bank account) can they denied me?

I had 2 weeks ago.
I passed the history and civic test but the IO (who was an old totallyunpleasant b..ch category woman) scheduled me for a 2nd interview just because my husband doesn’t live in US. She’s big pain was why am I applying for citizenship if my husband live outside US and if I am a resident of that country.
And what if yes?
If nothing “wrong” with me ( I meet all the requirements, Enough days spent inside US, paid taxes, no criminal record not even a speeding ticket, I have job, bank account) can they denied me?

That's too bad. The officer who interviewed me was transferred from Garden City to Holtsville. You didn't have officer Dianne Lawrence, did you?