New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

knavigator1

I applied on the basis of marriage. I had joint tax returns for 2009, but 2007 and 2008 I filed separately. The IO asks me why. I said that my husband didn't file because he didn't work. I know that we should have filed together anyway, but we were to young to understand the consequences. I didn't think it would be such an issue. The IO was nice about. He asked me to bring proof from IRS that my husband didn't file those for those years.

Hi Olia, I also applied on the basis of marriage and my interview date is on Nov. 18. I was wondering what kind of documents they want you to bring? I have our 3 yrs of joint tax returns, bank statements, and utility bills. I don't know if I need to bring more than 3 documents. I'm kinda nervous because my IL is in Holtsville, NY. I looked it up because I never heard of this immigration office before and found out they just opened it 3 days ago. Since it's new, I don't know what to expect from that place and I don't know anyone who's had their interview there. I just want to go there and have everything with me so I won't have any problems.

Mariselle,

If you already received your IL, in the envelope there should have been a list of documents you have to bring with you. I brought everything I had with me. You never know what they might ask. I also had all the proof of residence and marriage. But the IO only asked me for my green card and passport. He said that I'd submitted all the required documents and copies with my N-400 application, except the document I mentioned in my earlier post (I didn't know I had to bring it).

Good luck to you! Please post your experience here.

I had my interview today at 26 Federal Plaza. All went smooth and IO was very professional. Passed the interview and I was given the oath letter for tomorrow. Apparently, there is a special oath ceremony tomorrow and IO asked me if i can make it. Of course, I said yes!!

Questions:
1. How many senators?
2. Name of the ocean on the East side of the US?
3. State that borders Canada
4. When was the Constitution written?
5. What is freedom of religion?
6. When do you have to sign up to Selective Service?

Good luck to all...

My infopass at 10/18

My infopass was 1:20 pm at pen plaza, got there 1pm, after waiting for 3 hours, I almost fall sleep at chair...

around 4pm finally a officer called, and he say, your name check is cleared you are at list of 10/1 of waiting for the interview date, I wanted to ask more info about when my name check was cleared, and he turn to me say, That's all info I can offer you right now, all you have to do is keep waiting. Bye. So after 3 hours of waiting that's how he treat me. and I am still end up worrying about when will I be getting my citizenship interview letter....

any suggestion anyone ? is there any where I can write to expedite my case?

Thank you

I had my interview today at 26 Federal Plaza. All went smooth and IO was very professional. Passed the interview and I was given the oath letter for tomorrow. Apparently, there is a special oath ceremony tomorrow and IO asked me if i can make it. Of course, I said yes!!

Questions:
1. How many senators?
2. Name of the ocean on the East side of the US?
3. State that borders Canada
4. When was the Constitution written?
5. What is freedom of religion?
6. When do you have to sign up to Selective Service?

Good luck to all...

((((Congrats))))):)

Congratulations, Ironsmith!

I returned to Federal Plaza today, after waiting for eight days from my original interview date, to bring the docs they needed to complete my case, and I got approved!!! I was asked to wait for my oath letter. I waited for like an hour. I take my oath on November 5th. The IO scrutinized my file to a great degree. At some point I was told that I brought the wrong docs. But everything turned out great.

Had my 10/19 at Garden City. My interview was at 9am. There were lot of people waiting in the interview lobby and I was called in to interview at 9:50am.

I applied for US Citizenship on the basis on my marriage to a US Citizen. My interview lasted only 15 minutes. The officer was very professional and kept discussion to a minimum. He asked me to raise my right hand and swore me in. Then he asked me take out my passports and Green card and put them on the table.

He went thru my N-400 application form and confirmed if I am still living at the same address, still married etc. Then he checked the last section of the form and asked me if I agree to follow the rules, enlist in armed forces if necessary, etc. Then, he went thru my Civics and English questions.

1. what is the supreme law of the land?
2. what is an amendment?
3. who can vote?
4. what is the capital of NY state?
remaining 2 i forgot..

english section:
asked me to read "where is the white house?" -

written section:
asked me to write "white house is in washington dc".

Then he asked me to submit 3 years of tax returns (IRS transcripts), bank statements (gave last 3 mos statements), child's birth cerificates. Then he placed it in my file and said he approved my case for oath. I was asked to wait for my Oath Letter downstairs. Had to wait for almost 1 hour and I take oath at 100 Federal Plaza in Central Islip on 11/1.

One funny nugget of information. While, I was waiting in the interview lobby, another person was waiting for his name to be called with his lawyer (to cover for him as he was arrested once). Lawyer was shocked when the guy told him he didn't prepare the civic questions. The lawyer then started asking questions from the USCIS 100 questions book.

Lawyer: What are 2 rights of people living in the United States?
Guy said: Vote in an election.
Lawyer: USE YOUR HEAD. You live in the US, do you vote?

End result : Guy passed the interview and is scheduled for oath along with me. Somehow found it funny.

Bottomline is guys who are waiting and nervously preparing for the test, chill out and take it easy. It will be fine. All the best.

STATUS UPDATE

DO: NYC
05/07/2010 : N-400 Sent - Lewisville, TX (via UPS)
05/10/2010 : N-400 Rec.
05/20/2010 : Checks Cashed
05/10/2010 : Receipt PD
05/24/2010 : NOA Rec.
06/21/2010 : Rec. FP letter;
07/14/2010 : FP Scheduled
06/23/2010 : FP done
07/23/2010 : YL Received
07/20/2010 : YL Date
09/14/2010 : Case sent to local off.
09/17/2010 : Interview Letter
10/19/2010 : Interview Date @ Garden City (PASSED)
11/01/2010 : Oath Date
xx/xx/2010 : USC Date
xx/xx/2010 : Passport Application
xx/xx/2010 : Passport Received

Hi everyone, my case was finally transferred to local office today. I guess I should receive my IL in the next few days.

Hi everyone, my case was finally transferred to local office today. I guess I should receive my IL in the next few days.

mbetona, Might I ask how do know your case has been transferred (by phone txt or online status?) and what does your online status show? I have the same time line as you , and my online status still show waiting for evidence since June 22nd.

mbetona, Might I ask how do know your case has been transferred (by phone txt or online status?) and what does your online status show? I have the same time line as you , and my online status still show waiting for evidence since June 22nd.

Hi,

I received a txt and an email at 10:04 am on Monday. My online status changed.

pplication Type: N400 , APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Your Case Status: Testing and Interview

Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled. You will be sent a notice advising you of the date and time of your interview. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

If your case status indicates that you are currently in this step, you have either been scheduled for an interview or are in line to be scheduled for an interview. The amount of time your application will remain in this step will vary by office and is largely determined by the number of cases ahead of yours. The interview notice will have specifics about time, location and anything you will need to bring to your interview. If your application remains pending beyond our normal processing times (as shown below) please contact our national customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Please note that not every application/applicant will require an interview. In some instances, an interview is required by regulation and others an interview is requested because USCIS has determined that this is the most efficient means to determine eligibility. For a naturalization application the interview will include your taking the required English and/or Civics tests (unless exempt or waived).

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results
listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within the current
processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375-5283.

Hi,

I received a txt and an email at 10:04 am on Monday. My online status changed.

pplication Type: N400 , APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Your Case Status: Testing and Interview

Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled. You will be sent a notice advising you of the date and time of your interview. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

If your case status indicates that you are currently in this step, you have either been scheduled for an interview or are in line to be scheduled for an interview. The amount of time your application will remain in this step will vary by office and is largely determined by the number of cases ahead of yours. The interview notice will have specifics about time, location and anything you will need to bring to your interview. If your application remains pending beyond our normal processing times (as shown below) please contact our national customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Please note that not every application/applicant will require an interview. In some instances, an interview is required by regulation and others an interview is requested because USCIS has determined that this is the most efficient means to determine eligibility. For a naturalization application the interview will include your taking the required English and/or Civics tests (unless exempt or waived).

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results
listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within the current
processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375-5283.

thank you! I am still keep my finger crossed.

I just receiced my IL for December 2 at 26 federal plaza :)

Wow, congratulations! Btw did you register on website so they can txt you or email you? Or you just fill out ur phone and email on u origi al n400 form.

R u at queens too?

We have almost exactly same timeline, I am still keep waiting...

Wow, congratulations! Btw did you register on website so they can txt you or email you? Or you just fill out ur phone and email on u origi al n400 form

R u at queens too?

Hi Jesshe,
I thought I had answered your question already, on your previous post above, where I posted what my status update said when I received the email message with the transfer to local office, but let me explain again

Btw did you register on website so they can txt you or email you? Or you just fill out ur phone and email on u origi al n400 form.

*Yes I did submit my eletronic communication form along with my N400 application, and every time my status was updated, I received both a text and an email.

R u at queens too?

* Yes I am in queens. I thought I would be sent over to Garden City but I am happy that my interview will be at Fed Plaza and so early in the morning that I won't miss a whole day at work.

*Don't worry about it. I believe you should be receiving your interview letter sometime in November. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Jesshe,
I thought I had answered your question already, on your previous post above, where I posted what my status update said when I received the email message with the transfer to local office, but let me explain again

Btw did you register on website so they can txt you or email you? Or you just fill out ur phone and email on u origi al n400 form.

*Yes I did submit my eletronic communication form along with my N400 application, and every time my status was updated, I received both a text and an email.

R u at queens too?

* Yes I am in queens. I thought I would be sent over to Garden City but I am happy that my interview will be at Fed Plaza and so early in the morning that I won't miss a whole day at work.

*Don't worry about it. I believe you should be receiving your interview letter sometime in November. :)
mbetona, thank you so much for patiently answer my questions... and congratulation again