New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Today I had my successful oath ceremony at 26 Federal Plaza and the subsequent coronation as USC at 9:40 AM. Here are the highlights:

* Got to the building at 8:15, no line. Got in to the room at 8:30 which was the scheduled time
* Waited till 9:30 AM. Ceremony started with the director giving a speech, administering the oath and pledge of allegiance.
* At 9:45 we received our natz certificates.
* They showed an inspirational video for a few minutes followed by a message from the President.
* Told us to register to vote, get our passports and update social security.
* That's about it!

One person who was scheduled for next week's oath came in early and wanted to get it done but he was turned back. I gave advise to someone on this forum to do something like that. So don't even bother trying.

Slam dunk!! USC! Finally a 13 year journey comes to a happy ending.

Good luck to all.

I have my interview tomorrow in Garden City. I'm not gonna lie, I'm nervous.

Hope I'll get a nice IO! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! all,

Had my interview this morning at the Federal Plaza building.

Got there around 9.20 (35 mins before interview). Went through security check (moved quickly) and then up to the 7th floor. I must have waited till about 10.20 before my name was called. (There are two doors, 1 and 2, each at the opposite end of the hall!). the IO was very friendly, and even chatty. We did the history civics test first and then the written/reading test.

Then he proceeded to go through my application. He asked for my passport, GC, drivers license and SS card. Went through my absences from the US. (He didn't verify stamps in the passport though). I had one additional one after I had mailed my application. So, he added it to the list. He asked if I had my dismissal notice (see thread below). I handed him the original, which he said he would have to keep. He also asked me for tax returns. I had receipts from IRS (which you can order for free -- thanks to this forum, I had done that). After that, I swore, signed and dated various forms and my photos that I had submitted with application (he did not ask me for new ones, which I had in my pocket). Then it took him a few minutes (10?) to enter stuff into his computer. We chatted all the while about my job (wanted to know what life as an academic was like!!!), and his (after retiring from the military, he joined the INS and worked in various departments, including deportation, law enforcement etc., and now is in the adjudication section he told me -- couple of more years before retirement!). He made copies of my GC, DL and SS Card. Gave them back to me. He told me that given that I had a "criminal charge" dismissed (for riding bicycle on sidewalk !!!!) he would not be able to give me the oath letter straight away. A senior officer needed to approve his adjudication. So, I will be receiving the letter (within a month he said!) in the mail. He nevertheless gave me a form that says that he is recommending my application for approval and marked congratulations on it. I did tell him that I was planning to be out of the country in June and July, and he said I should be fine, and made note of it. Was out on the street by 11 a.m.

So, hopefully all's well and I just have the last couple of hoops to jump through.

-----------
12/15/09- N400 Sent
12/21/09- Texas recevd; Priority Date
Early Jan 2010 -- FP notice received (I was out of town)
01/19/2010- FP appointment date
02/03/2010- FP Done (Walk in) as was away until 02/03
02/21/2010- Interview Letter received
03/23/2010 - Interview pased -- New York Federal Plaza Office
??? -- Oath Letter
??? -- Ceremony
??? -- Passport received

Certified copy means a sealed stamp on a photocopy of original document from the authority that issued the original document. In your case, you need to go to the court clerk where your criminal case got dismmised. Ask them to give you the certified copy of dismissal of your case. They will probably charge you some fees for this service. You should provide the case number and court-clerk will be able to pull the record up and could be able to issue you a certifed copy of it.

Good luck

I had a "criminal charge" dismissed (for riding bicycle on sidewalk !!!!)

Congratulations!

An old coworker of mine once got a desk appearance ticket for riding his bke on a sidewalk, and another person I know once got a traffic ticket (mind you, he carries a non-driver ID card) for running a red light on his bicycle. Gotta love the NYPD!

Congratulations Baasha,
I hope to join you as a citizen this Friday, 3/26 at 8:30am. I have my rush passport appointment scheduled for 11:30 the same day. Let's hope it all works out.
Best, Daaisy

DO - New York City

02/23/2010 N-400 mailed, TX
02/26/2010 Received Date
03/03/2010 Priority Date
03/23/2010 Finger printing notice received

my interview was on march 9th and descheduled due to unforeseen reasons... 2 business days before the interview I got the letter...I went to 26 federal plaza today and asked if there's any info I could get.. IO told me that even though the rescheduling letter says from NYC DO.. actually it is not and I have to wait or write a letter..so I dont know what to make of that.. I feel like I paid $675 to wait fora total unknown..

My interview went really well. I had it on Tuesday at Garden City. The appointment was at 7:25 am and I was done in a little under an hour.

The IO was very friendly. He only asked me 4 civics questions, then reading/writing. He quickly scanned through my file, and told me to go downstairs and wait for my oath letter. I had it after about 2 hours of wait.

The ceremony is on April 15th. I'm so happy! :)

Just a random question. Would I be able to request a citizenship for my aunt?

Congratulations. Straightforward case?

Thank you!

Yes, it was based on my marriage. My husband is a citizen.

The whole process was very smooth actually. I went from marriage to citizenship in a little under 4 years. I was surprised at how fast things moved.

And I only had two interviews. One for the 2 year GC and one for citizenship. :D

anybody else still waiting for the OL, my interview was January 21, at Federal Plaza, approved, but nothing in the mail. Last week I spoke to a level 2 officer and he said I was not scheduled for the oath yet.

anybody else in the same situation, 69 days since ID and still waiting

anybody else still waiting for the OL, my interview was January 21, at Federal Plaza, approved, but nothing in the mail. Last week I spoke to a level 2 officer and he said I was not scheduled for the oath yet.

anybody else in the same situation, 69 days since ID and still waiting

Hi,Yes, I'm still waiting for my oath letter. I had my interview on Feb 25, got the paper saying I was approved, etc and was told that I should get the oath letter in the mail in the next 4-6 weeks. Tomorrow it will be 5 weeks. It's weird because some people get their oath letters 2 weeks after. My case was very straightforward--no arrests, not based on marriage, etc. Nothing that should create any hiccups. I did request a name change, and I wonder if that is creating a hold up of any kind. Did you request one?

Hi,Yes, I'm still waiting for my oath letter. I had my interview on Feb 25, got the paper saying I was approved, etc and was told that I should get the oath letter in the mail in the next 4-6 weeks. Tomorrow it will be 5 weeks. It's weird because some people get their oath letters 2 weeks after. My case was very straightforward--no arrests, not based on marriage, etc. Nothing that should create any hiccups. I did request a name change, and I wonder if that is creating a hold up of any kind. Did you request one?

no, i did not request a name change, straightforward case too, 5 years, no marriage, no arrests, single.

I can't think what the holdup is

no, i did not request a name change, straightforward case too, 5 years, no marriage, no arrests, single.

I can't think what the holdup is

How did you get to speak to a level 2 officer, and did he/she tell you anything more, other than that you're not scheduled? Could he explain why you aren't scheduled for the oath yet?

Hi Washeightsguy

Can you please post your detailed personal interview experience and the outcome.

I and my wife are scheduled for interview tomorrow Monday at 10 am at Federal Plaza. It will be a great help to know your personal experience.

Thanks
nri107

HI! nri107,

see message #1043 from 23 March. I had a fairly smooth interview. I am still waiting for oath letter.

Good luck with your interview!

Hi Washeightsguy

Can you please post your detailed personal interview experience and the outcome.

I and my wife are scheduled for interview tomorrow Monday at 10 am at Federal Plaza. It will be a great help to know your personal experience.

Thanks
nri107

I got my fingerprinting appointment letter, and it says that if I miss my appointment, I can go on any FOLLOWING Wednesday before 07/21/10 at the same time (8AM- yikes!). You think I can just go on Wednesday this week? It's the Brooklyn ASC at 1260-1278 60th Street (is it in a mall?). Has anyone gone for early fingerprinting there? Thanks.

I got my fingerprinting appointment letter, and it says that if I miss my appointment, I can go on any FOLLOWING Wednesday before 07/21/10 at the same time (8AM- yikes!). You think I can just go on Wednesday this week? It's the Brooklyn ASC at 1260-1278 60th Street (is it in in a mall?). Has anyone gone for early fingerprinting there? Thanks.

This ASC is in the basement of the building that houses a large Pathmark supermarket. My wife and I do our grocery shopping there sometimes, and I saw a sign for "Application Support Center" the last time we were there. I think this is a fairly new ASC.